Name the piece of music that makes you tear up.

God Save the Queen, particularly the fifth verse:

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,

May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush
Rebellious Scots to crush!
God save the Queen!

The provenance of the fifth verse is in question, but it does add a bit of anti - political correctness.

Edited by Queenmandy85

Van Morrison.

His older stuff is among the best of the best. That song, Into The Mystic, has been requested by my wife as a funeral song for her. I doubt I'll be around to pick her music, she'll have to nominate somebody else.. The song is from the album Moondance, which is one of those very rare albums that has no weak tracks at all, every song is at the least very good.

I checked Van the Man off my concert bucket list a few years ago. True to form and reputation, he played a short, contractually agreed set, said almost nothing else, and did not do an encore. Still, worth the money at the time.

A friend who has seen him several times said she saw him once in the UK a decade or more ago. He got lost in one of his long verbal dododododo things, extending the song much longer than the album version. She saw him sneak a peek at his watch and he must have realized he was a few minutes beyond the contract length of 75 minutes or whatever, and left the stage right in the middle of the song, just walked off. The band soldiered on to finish the song with a bit of grace. Classic Van Morrison, a guy who walks his own walk.

Edited by overthere

I don't know that tearing up, but warming the cockles for sure:

and

In addition, damn near anything from a Highland pipe and drum band, and a instrumental cover of Rod Stewart's "Sailing" performed by the Royal Marine band service.......its really moving, and was used by the BBC for an intro to a Doc series from the 70s called "Sailor", and due to its popularity (and nostalgia) has become a common part of their repertoire to this day.

Probably the saddest song I can think of, and one used by a lot of families of US servicemen killed in action, is Dante's Prayer. I remember when i saw Mckennitt at the NAC a little while back thinking that the violin is easily surpassed by the cello as the saddest musical instrument.

When the dark wood fell before me
And all the paths were overgrown
When the priests of pride say there is no other way
I tilled the sorrows of stone
I did not believe because I could not see
Though you came to me in the night
When the dawn seemed forever lost
You showed me your love in the light of the stars
Cast your eyes on the ocean
Cast your soul to the sea
When the dark night seems endless
Please remember me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FdIR0g4-x4

Edited by Argus

Probably the saddest song I can think of, and one used by a lot of families of US servicemen killed in action, is Dante's Prayer. I remember when i saw Mckennitt at the NAC a little while back thinking that the violin is easily surpassed by the cello as the saddest musical instrument.

That's a good one. I pulled this CD out on Friday and played it... her voice gives me chills.

-k

After coming home on Nov 11, after the commemorative dinner at the legion, I like to pour myself a good glass of single malt scotch, put the following on at high volume, turn out the lights and remember:

Amazing Grace Bagpipes

Not moving me to tears, but hitting me deeply is what the bagpipes can do. I was at a public celebration when a large group of bagpipes performed. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

• 1 month later...

The Cat's In the Cradle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCpsD0ZDfus

This song hits me from 3 directions at once - being the father of a 2 year old boy. Being the son of an older father. And knowing Chapin died in a head-on collision with a truck, 7 years after writing this song.

Edited by Lerxst