Syrian Refugees.... Justin Trudeau... Racist?

H10

I can provide plenty of links that explain the living conditions of these camps. Do I really need to?

I bet the billions we are going to spend on 25,000 people here would have a major impact on helping conditions in those camps. I bet the tens of billions Europeans are going to be spending would help even more.

In any event, you compare living conditions in the camps to what is the norm in comfortable Canada. Try comparing them to life in Palestine, or the poorer areas of Lebanon or Egypt or, for that matter, Rio or New Delhi. Have you seen the miles of tin shacks around Rio?

Edited by Argus

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simply not true. The horde of refugees heading into Europe are economic migrants fleeing poverty. We could accommodate them for a tenth the cost in the camps and they'd be able to go home then when things settle down.

There isn't enough room in the camps, nor the infrastructure to support all of them.

There isn't enough room in the camps, nor the infrastructure to support all of them.

There are millions in refugee camps. you think bringing a few tens of thousand to Canada is going to matter? Infrastructure can be built with the kind of money we and the Americans and the Europeans are going to spend on accommodating the lucky few.

Justin is just appeasing the masses, who cried foul during the election when they say the picture of the dead boy washed up on shore.

If you want to blame anyone for selective caring, it's voters and the masses. They don't give a crap about the refugees in Africa or the rest of the middle east etc.

I think it is short sighted of people to say that all opposition to the refugees is racism. Racism has nothing to do with it. It is concern for the many other issues that will almost certainly arise.

Will the refugees be any better off if they cannot get employment, if they are under suspicious from a good many Canadians amongst whom they will be living, If the do not speak the language even well enough to see to their everyday needs?

Will our society be better off if our deficit rises to unsustainable levels, if our unemployment rate keeps rising, if the conditions of aboriginals, the homeless and the disadvantage, the mentally ill are not addressed?

There was a panel on 'The National' tonight discussing the glowing hopes for all the good things the refugees will bring to Canada. When asked about the 'hate' rhetoric, they didn't want to talk about that. they dismissed it as 'minimal' and 'unfounded'.

The very fact that the opposition was called 'hate' is inflammatory. It is NOT hate; it is caution and concern and ought to be explained and addressed, not ignored and brushed aside. The concerns that many people have are real.

I think it is short sighted of people to say that all opposition to the refugees is racism. Racism has nothing to do with it.

Horse apples.

The opposition is coming from the same old opponents who oppose everything about everybody brown, black, Muslim, ... etc.

It is concern for the many other issues that will almost certainly arise.

Will the refugees be any better off if they cannot get employment,

Better chance here than in overcrowded refugee camps. Most immigrants do well here.

if they are under suspicious from a good many Canadians amongst whom they will be living,

That is the problem of those bigoted Canadians. They need to stfu.

If the do not speak the language even well enough to see to their everyday needs?

That's pretty common for immigrants.

Has been for all of our history.

You need to look into settlement support. They will have help.

Will our society be better off if our deficit rises to unsustainable levels, if our unemployment rate keeps rising, if the conditions of aboriginals, the homeless and the disadvantage, the mentally ill are not addressed?

You are suddenly an advocate for them???? Don't make me laugh!

There was a panel on 'The National' tonight discussing the glowing hopes for all the good things the refugees will bring to Canada. When asked about the 'hate' rhetoric, they didn't want to talk about that. they dismissed it as 'minimal' and 'unfounded'.

The very fact that the opposition was called 'hate' is inflammatory. It is NOT hate; it is caution and concern and ought to be explained and addressed, not ignored and brushed aside. The concerns that many people have are real.

No, it's hate rhetoric.

Horse apples.

The opposition is coming from the same old opponents who oppose everything about everybody brown, black, Muslim, ... etc.

Better chance here than in overcrowded refugee camps. Most immigrants do well here.

That is the problem of those bigoted Canadians. They need to stfu.

That's pretty common for immigrants.

Has been for all of our history.

You need to look into settlement support. They will have help.

You are suddenly an advocate for them? Don't make me laugh!

No, it's hate rhetoric.

What you are posting seems to me like 'hate' rhetoric!

I think your mind is closed to any opposition to your way of thinking. Whereas those who oppose the immigration of hordes of Muslims are not opposed to other races, religions and cultures. There are reasons for anti-Muslim sentiments that you just will not consider even though it is based on historical fact.

It might surprise you if you knew that other immigrants to Canada also have serious misgivings about Muslims. It is not just a small group of haters in Canada.

Don't you wonder why there is no flood of refugees to Russia, China, India, Japan, South America, Australia, New , Zealand, Taiwan, Korea, Mexico, to name a few? Or why the more civilized Islamic countries like Jordan are not taking them in by the millions? Are all of those countries also racist?

I have listened carefully to the glowing hopes that people are talking about, the boost to the economy, doing the right thing, etc., none of which seem to be anything other than blind justification. There are no facts to back up such claims.

Other races, cultures, religions have been welcomed into Canada and rightly so. They have assimilated and are largely a boon to our society. So don't try to tell me that Muslims are singled out for opposition for no good reason.

There are several 'mixed culture' marriages within my own family so I get first hand feed back from these culturally diverse families regarding their impression of Muslims. So don't try to tell me I am making up stories either. We don't hear from a lot of people who are opposed to Muslim immigration because society does not welcome their opinions so they keep quiet because they don't want to be attacked by opinionated people like you. I am not afraid of attacks like that. I just consider where they are coming from.

Edited by notca

There are reasons for anti-Muslim sentiments that you just will not consider even though it is based on historical fact.

Really?

Show me some historical facts that justify anti Muslim sentiments against the million or so Muslims already in Canada ... many for generations, maybe longer than your ancestors ?!

How is it not racist to give preference to one war torn country only? It literally sounds alot like white only immigration except instead of white only its Syrian only. I think Syrian only or any one group or race only immigration is racist.

Well, for one thing, non-Syrian is not a race....

Edited by The_Squid

hernanday, on 28 Nov 2015 - 3:51 PM, said:

How is it not racist to give preference to one war torn country only? It literally sounds alot like white only immigration except instead of white only its Syrian only. I think Syrian only or any one group or race only immigration is racist.

notca: Whereas those who oppose the immigration of hordes of Muslims are not opposed to other races, religions and cultures. There are reasons for anti-Muslim sentiments that you just will not consider even though it is based on historical fact.

It might surprise you if you knew that other immigrants to Canada also have serious misgivings about Muslims. It is not just a small group of haters in Canada.

The twisted illogic of white nationalist/white supremacist/neonazi ... whatever you call it, is a constant presence on mlw.

And white supremacists are the number one terrorist threat in North America, according to the FBI and the RCMP.

Edited by jacee

It is interesting to observe how what should be a reasonable adult discussion on the merits, dangers, economic liabilities, and accommodation concerns in bringing over refugees gets turned, by some, into accusations of neonazism and white supremacy despite no one expressing any racial sentiments. It seems the ability to engage in adult discussion continues to elude progressives.

Edited by Argus

It is interesting to observe how what should be a reasonable adult discussion on the merits, dangers, economic liabilities, and accommodation concerns in bringing over refugees gets turned, by some, into accusations of neonazism and white supremacy despite no one expressing any racial sentiments. It seems the ability to engage in adult discussion continues to elude progressives.

Hey, if you subscribe to the twisted illogic of xenophobia, that's your issue.

I am just pointing out that the twisted illogic of white supremacy has nothing to do with intelligent adult discussion.

Hey, if you subscribe to the twisted illogic of xenophobia, that's your issue.

I am just pointing out that the twisted illogic of white supremacy has nothing to do with intelligent adult discussion.

And I was just pointing out that your topic had nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Perhaps you could start another topic where you can complain about white supremacy and neonazis.

And I was just pointing out that your topic had nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Perhaps you could start another topic where you can complain about white supremacy and neonazis.

It's quite relevant to the topic.

Note the twisted switch:

'I don't like Syrian refugees coming here so I'll start a topic accusing the government of being racist for bringing in only Syrians. '

Laughable really.

Hate propaganda really.

Summary: you either agree wholeheartedly with her, or you are a freedomhating Harperatzi . Now be quiet and get back in your pigeonhole.

It's quite relevant to the topic.

Note the twisted switch:

'I don't like Syrian refugees coming here so I'll start a topic accusing the government of being racist for bringing in only Syrians. '

The OP is actually fairly well noted for posting about racism issues from the left side of the political spectrum. Your ability to read minds at a distance and discern the intent of people you have never met is as fallible as ever.