Waiting for the Trudeau Jnr Flip-Flop

Actually most of you were much more pragmatic. At this point many of you are jumping all over the place trying to stick something to a guy that hasn't even been in power for a month. It's expected that some promises will have to be amended or even broken. What he hadn't broken is the spirit of his campaign.

I hope Trudeau has a positive impact on the economy and jobs. I want him and the Liberals to succeed with that as a foundation....because everything else depends on it. So no matter if you're Green, NDP or Conservative - we've voted our government in for at least 4 years - Canada needs them to succeed. You can't put diehard partisanship ahead of the health of the country. All that said, I can't help but be very concerned that Canadian wallets will be taking a beating.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually most of you were much more pragmatic. At this point many of you are jumping all over the place trying to stick something to a guy that hasn't even been in power for a month. It's expected that some promises will have to be amended or even broken. What he hadn't broken is the spirit of his campaign.

So, broken promises are acceptable, as long as they're the right ones?

And the spirit of his campaign was to keep promises.

Another broken one.

Canadian wallets are going to have to take a beating at some point. It's quite clear that the tax base is now too small for what Canadians want the government to do.

You grow the tax base by creating an environment for economic growth - not by taking away disposable income. It's a question of priorities on the spending side.

You grow the tax base by creating an environment for economic growth - not by taking away disposable income. It's a question of priorities on the spending side.

Canadians have many priorities on the spending side. The new reality that we live in with regards to revenue seems to be disparate with that.

It's a question of priorities on the spending side.

No that is not the question. The question is: how do we generate national revenue that does not involve simply taxation? What goods and services can the nation produce, add value, and export. Then and only then can we consider how we will spend the wealth we generate.

It is what Canadians love about Liberal govts, they just breeze right over the hard part so we don't have to strain ourselves on those hard questions. To be fair, other ideologies are nearly as ignorant.

I have an abiding uneasiness that our future is not the least bit bright. The worst part is that we are doing it to ourselves. While we blither on about Sunny Days, our lunch is being eaten whole by competitors in businesses we should thrive, namely exporting energy.

LNG is already lost to us, oil is nearly closed.

While Iraq and Saudi ramp up production and lock up long term supply contracts with paying customers in Asia, we cannot get organized enough to build a single pipeline to saltwater. How they must laugh at our utter ineptness to even acknowledge the situation, and our part in it. Canada is back alright, and dressed in a clown suit.

Canadians have many priorities on the spending side. The new reality that we live in with regards to revenue seems to be disparate with that.

That's one of the advantages - and challenges of a majority government - they have the ability to balance emotion, populism and practicality within the framework of our collective ability to pay. Hopefully, choosing the right priorities - with the right explanations, communication, planning and delivery - the government gets more things right, than wrong. The Conservatives were brain dead and tone deaf on the first part, arguably not that bad on the second.....

He is showing signs of the same kind of disdain that his father showed to the commoners.

On the contrary, I always thought that Trudeau Snr was respectful of ordinary people - as an intellectual if not as a human. (Canadian federal politics is a messy game.)

My fear with Trudeau Jnr is that he's there simply because of the name. Like Prince Charles.

In the past, we skipped a generation: King was a grandson of Mackenzie and Bourassa was a grandson of Papineau.

Edited by August1991

Canadian wallets are going to have to take a beating at some point. It's quite clear that the tax base is now too small for what Canadians want the government to do.

This might be a shock for you, but what Liberals want to do is not 'what Canadians want the goverment to do'.

They are not synonyms.

And often enough Canadians will express agreement that government should do a thing unless someone tells them how much they will have to spend on it, then they change their mind. That's why most such questions don't ever point out the cost. That's why none of the opposition parties in campaigning about climate change, for example, ever gave any specifics about what it would be or what it would cost. It's why even now no one is giving an accurate cost of what bringing over tens of thousands of illiterate desert people will be even over the medium, never mind long term.

This might be a shock for you, but what Liberals want to do is not 'what Canadians want the government to do'.

They are not synonyms.

I'm not talking about Liberal priorities. Healthcare, some kind of defence, infrastructure and certain social services are all things that most Canadians care about. Couple that with programs that many care about and we have a revenue problem.

• 4 weeks later...

On December 6th, Foreign Affairs Minister Dion said it would be a matter of weeks - not months before our jets were recalled. On the campaign trail, Trudeau said "immediately". He's certainly broken the spirit of his promise. Is he now on the verge of breaking it completely? What's the delay? After all, if we're only contributing 2% to the effort (the Liberal position), what's the big deal?

On December 6th, Foreign Affairs Minister Dion said it would be a matter of weeks - not months before our jets were recalled. On the campaign trail, Trudeau said "immediately". He's certainly broken the spirit of his promise. Is he now on the verge of breaking it completely? What's the delay? After all, if we're only contributing 2% to the effort (the Liberal position), what's the big deal?

I fully agree. The faster we get out the better and save some of those $millions wasted in the region. I hope that JT is getting something for Canada from the USA for stalling our move away from this fiasco.

He leads a party that campaigns like the NDP and rules like the Conservatives.

If what I'm hearing about the management of our shrimp fishery on the coast is true the Trudeau government is about to impose individual quotas on boats. The cyclical abundance of shrimp is high at the moment but scientists can honestly say they really don't have a clue what's out there because there haven't been any scientists out there looking for the last 10 years. How convenient.

So...boats that caught a million lbs last year will be allowed 8000 lbs this year and the only way to make it viable for anyone will be to purchase all the quota and stack it on one or two boats. By the time the dust settles on that scientists will say, "yup, the fishermen were right, there's more shrimp out there than you can shake a stick at" and then they'll jack up the quotas and the handful of people who've bought it all up, probably Pacific Seafood of the US or Jimmy Pattison of BC, will become even wealthier beyond reason while hundreds are dispossessed of their livelihoods.

Like I said, how convenient, how similar and overall...quite conservative and right-wing actually.

I hope he flip flops on opening the embassy in Tehran.

I have no love of the Saudis, but the fact the Iranians allowed their embassy to be sacked and burned shows they still don't have any respect for the sanctity of diplomatic territory.

There is absolutely nothing in your story that supports your claim that nobody on the left seems to care about this. Where I live the left seem to be only one's who're concerned about shipping our jobs along with our natural resources offshore to other countries.

Maybe you have a different left-wing in Ontario.

I'm quite certain the difference is strictly in perception. I certainly don't view the federal Liberals as being left-wing in the conventional sense. Not in the least. The results of fishing industries on both coasts put the lie to that - widespread dispossession of small coastal communities in favour of concentrating wealth and opportunity in the hands of a couple corporate owners based in some distant city if not another country altogether.

As for BC's liberals, they only call themselves Liberals because their old Social Credit brand would sink them...and Social Credit also never translated into anything but more corporate credit.

The distribution of power not wealth has always been by far the biggest issue plaguing and dividing our world and from where I'm sitting power seems to have a much better ability to attract right-wingers.

The distribution of power not wealth has always been by far the biggest issue plaguing and dividing our world and from where I'm sitting power seems to have a much better ability to attract right-wingers.

That must be why we currently have a Liberal majority. :rolleyes: