Waiting for the Trudeau Jnr Flip-Flop

Trudeau had better 'flip-flop' his arrogant attitude toward the lowly Canadian people if he wants to hold on to his popularity. He is showing signs of the same kind of disdain that his father showed to the commoners.

Can you tell me some examples of what you see? I admit, there are some things that annoy me about him, but so far I haven't seen any sign of arrogance or disdain.

By one way and another it is the Canadian people who have formed our way of life. Now Trudeau's determination to change everything for the better certainly indicates what he thinks of the Canada we, the common people have created.

At least part of his popularity, and maybe the majority, is that people believe hie is *returning* us to the Canada we were, and enhancing the values we hold most dear. So this objection just seems very odd to me.

Although the statement "Trudeau's determination to change everything for the better ......" makes me wonder if I'm missing some intended nuance that would make sense of this statement. Who would object to 'changing things for the better'?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least part of his popularity, and maybe the majority, is that people believe hie is *returning* us to the Canada we were, and enhancing the values we hold most dear.

Ah yes, the classic populist bullshit, yearning yearning to return to an America sorry Canada that never actually existed. An old meme is " we used to be be peacekeepers, now we are in wars". Hello, you cannot keep a peace unless the folks involved wantr to be kept that way.

For example, if you're looking for one,. our allies- France in particular- think he is a fool and a coward for sticking to his plan to remove the jets from Syria. The pressure on Junior just went up a notch as the UK now plans to join the fight, instead of fleeing at precisely the wrong moment as Canada is doing. Cowardice under fire is not a Canadian value. Standing by our friends in time of their need is though.

For example, if you're looking for one,. our allies- France in particular- think he is a fool and a coward

I am surprised to hear this, as I would have expected some whisper of it from the media, but haven't heard anything. So I did a search, and found nothing. It didn't really seem a big deal, Obama shrugged and said it wouldn't have much effect, and the UK papers covered it a month ago, in the context of his election promises, Can you direct me to some news stories that refer to him/us as a fool and a coward? Or shall I assume that's how you feel and so you are projecting?

Edited by dialamah

Ah yes, the classic populist bullshit, yearning yearning to return to an America sorry Canada that never actually existed. An old meme is " we used to be be peacekeepers, now we are in wars". Hello, you cannot keep a peace unless the folks involved wantr to be kept that way.

For example, if you're looking for one,. our allies- France in particular- think he is a fool and a coward for sticking to his plan to remove the jets from Syria. The pressure on Junior just went up a notch as the UK now plans to join the fight, instead of fleeing at precisely the wrong moment as Canada is doing. Cowardice under fire is not a Canadian value. Standing by our friends in time of their need is though.

What a ridiculous assumption. Ad how any times do we need to see how traipsing into a foreign war has come back to haunt us?

I suspect you boys are just a little upset by how popular JT has become, and how fast your boy Harper has been left in the dust.

Edited by On Guard for Thee

What a ridiculous assumption. Ad how any times do we need to see how traipsing into a foreign war has come back to haunt us?

Ridiculous? Just about every ally who has planes have committed some to the mission. Our allies will not openly criticize Canada - but it's crystal clear that they find the decision to be puzzling, at best. Pulling back an entire well-trained, experienced crew with support teams to simply languish in Canada has never been explained outside of an electoral ploy.

But I take it you would be really upset and re-think your adoration for JT if he went back on his promise to call back the CF18's?

I was in favour of the bombing and I'm tentatively in favour of it now. Does that mean he's wrong? It seems he will leave 3 planes they're. He's simply bringing home the 6+1 fighter jets. We'll still be contributing in a meaningful way. We simply won't be doing the actual bombing.

Ridiculous? Just about every ally who has planes have committed some to the mission. Our allies will not openly criticize Canada - but it's crystal clear that they find the decision to be puzzling, at best.

Almost all our major allies sent airplanes and troops into the Iraq invasion. Canada did not. There was some criticism so the compromise was sending Canadian troops into Afghanistan. It cost only about 160 Canadian lives before we realized that was a mistake. How many body bags would have come home from Iraq if Canada would have followed our allies lead?

Almost all our major allies sent airplanes and troops into the Iraq invasion. Canada did not. There was some criticism so the compromise was sending Canadian troops into Afghanistan. It cost only about 160 Canadian lives before we realized that was a mistake. How many body bags would have come home from Iraq if Canada would have followed our allies lead?

And that relates to our CF18's how? That our allies are all misguided and they should follow our lead and just leave Daesh alone?

And that relates to our CF18's how? That our allies are all misguided and they should follow our lead and just leave Daesh alone?

By training their enemies and providing aerial support to our allies, it's hard to see us as leaving them alone.

By training their enemies and providing aerial support to our allies, it's hard to see us as leaving them alone.

Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. We can - but we won't. Because we're pulling back - even though we can continue - it clearly says that the Canadian government does not believe in the bombing mission. No sense pussyfooting around - that's just the way it is. Some Canadians agree. Many don't. But don't try to make it out to be different than it is.

Body bags? I saw coffins but I didn't see any body bags.

The so called 'tax cut' wasn't very well examined by the media during the election ( I wonder why ..Hate Haper Hate Harper Hate Harper) . In fact the 'tax cut' ( average $600) is dwarfed by the increase in CPP ( $1000) for a net loss to 'the middle class of $400. I guess no one at the CBC ( Hate Harper Hate Harper Hate Harper) took any math classes. The additional taxes on carbon and increases in social spending on Liberal boondoggles will have Canadians wishing they hadn't listened to the constant BS coming out of our national broadcaster.

Can you tell me some examples of what you see? I admit, there are some things that annoy me about him, but so far I haven't seen any sign of arrogance or disdain.

At least part of his popularity, and maybe the majority, is that people believe hie is *returning* us to the Canada we were, and enhancing the values we hold most dear. So this objection just seems very odd to me.

Although the statement "Trudeau's determination to change everything for the better ......" makes me wonder if I'm missing some intended nuance that would make sense of this statement. Who would object to 'changing things for the better'?

This, to me is pretty arrogant;

Asked by BBC television’s NewsNight program about his famous family name, Trudeau didn’t deny that having had his father Pierre Trudeau lead the country for almost 16 years opened some doors.

“I think the way I was raised was that I have to work two or three times as hard as anyone else to walk through that door now that it’s open,” he said.

Trudeau then delivered a sharp retort that could be seen as a direct shot at Harper and other Conservative partisans.

“There’s an awful lot of people who sort of shrugged and said he has nothing but a name to go on and found themselves slightly bewildered as I left them in the dust,” said the prime minister.

More like "... As I uh, as I,uh, left them in the dust."

Reads as arrogant when edited but sounds fine in context.

He's not only grinning the whole time, but it's clearly a rehearsed comment. Whatever, you'll not see it - why would you. He's been all over the world patting his own back and greeting fans. He actually thinks he earned this all on his own.

Whatever, you'll not see it - why would you. He's been all over the world patting his own back and greeting fans. He actually thinks he earned this all on his own.

I don't think either one of us knows enough from a 7 minute edited interview what Trudeau really thinks and it's foolish to pretend otherwise.

This, to me is pretty arrogant;

Asked by BBC television’s NewsNight program about his famous family name, Trudeau didn’t deny that having had his father Pierre Trudeau lead the country for almost 16 years opened some doors.

“I think the way I was raised was that I have to work two or three times as hard as anyone else to walk through that door now that it’s open,” he said.

Trudeau then delivered a sharp retort that could be seen as a direct shot at Harper and other Conservative partisans.

“There’s an awful lot of people who sort of shrugged and said he has nothing but a name to go on and found themselves slightly bewildered as I left them in the dust,” said the prime minister.

I guess Harper will be wishing now he hadn't been so arrogant when he tried to dismiss Trudeau at every turn. Boy did that backfire.

I guess Harper will be wishing now he hadn't been so arrogant when he tried to dismiss Trudeau at every turn. Boy did that backfire.

Look, the NDP played the whole "Stop Harper" campaign and the media clearly stumped for Trudeau. Add in the name recognition...and voila!

Trudeau never did a thing...and still hasn't.

Look, the NDP played the whole "Stop Harper" campaign and the media clearly stumped for Trudeau. Add in the name recognition...and voila!

Well of course he has, and in a short time. But I will admit, the country was so fed up with Harper, almost anyone could have unseated him.

Stop with the name recognition BS.

It is both a blessing and a curse.

For every person who loves the Trudeau brand/dynasty/whatever there is another who can't stand it.

It's a wash.

But to go from 3rd place to a majority government takes a combination of people not liking Harper nor Mulcair and Trudeau to exceed the low expectations set for him thanks to Harper.

So Trudeau may not be impressive for winning and Harper not impressive for losing but together the result was impressive.

Stop with the name recognition BS.

---SNIP---

It's not a curse. He would've been in last place if not for his name. The guy has no experience - nada! He would't even have been made leader of the party if not for his name. The old school press have been waiting for him for years, most of them even said so on election night - c'mon. People are actually comparing him, his name and entity to the Kennedys. Of course it's all about his name. Get real! Edited by Charles Anthony
excessive quoting [---SNIP---]

It's not a curse. He would've been in last place if not for his name. The guy has no experience - nada! He would't even have been made leader of the party if not for his name. The old school press have been waiting for him for years, most of them even said so on election night - c'mon. People are actually comparing him, his name and entity to the Kennedys. Of course it's all about his name. Get real!

He has more experience in a real job that he actually acquired himself than did Harper coming to power. He was in last place, and then came the debates. And then came the vote. And we see the results. You'll get over it in due time.

He has more experience in a real job that he actually acquired himself than did Harper coming to power. He was in last place, and then came the debates. And then came the vote. And we see the results. You'll get over it in due time.

It has nothing to do with "getting over it". Of course I voted Harper, But I'll take Trudeau over Mulcair any day.

The liberals were in shambles, they needed a name and an image. Trudeau's name gave them both, thats how a party goes from last place to a majority. Simple as that. It's laughable to think that without the name, the Liberals would be anywhere but last place.

That might be a good thing, without Trudeau's name, we might well have an NDP gov't. right now