How Trudeau will work very hard on dumping FPTP

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...
On 2/10/2016 at 9:15 AM, cybercoma said:

There was a referendum, the federal election. If they didn't support voting reform they should have voted Conservative.

That had absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of the election. And now they have realized it could cost them seats. Say good by to reform and I agree with him

He certainly won't get another Majority under a Proportional Representation model. No party has achieved more than 50% in Canada in a long long time. 

I suspect this is another broken promise in the making. He can blame it on this task force that he's set up. 

BTW where are the people going on and on about how 60% of Canadians didn't cast a vote for this illegitimate Liberal government?

Edited by Boges

19 hours ago, Boges said:

Where are the people going on and on about how 60% of Canadians didn't cast a vote for this illegitimate Liberal government?

The Left whines incessantly over things which they ignore while in power. They always have.

23 hours ago, Boges said:

He certainly won't get another Majority under a Proportional Representation model. No party has achieved more than 50% in Canada in a long long time. 

I suspect this is another broken promise in the making. He can blame it on this task force that he's set up. 

BTW where are the people going on and on about how 60% of Canadians didn't cast a vote for this illegitimate Liberal government?

So many people assume that proprep is what Trudeau had in mind when he promised electoral reform.

It is a mystery why they would continue to think that.  It was never an option,since in reality the only choice was ranked ballots, obviously.  It is inconceivable that Trudeau and the Liberals would simply surrender majority Liberal governments-and surrender them permamanently, which is what would happen to them under proprep.

If he absoluterly had to, Trudeau will go into the 2019 election with another round of FPTP, but there is really no reason for him to do that.

He has the votes in the Commons to punch through ranked ballots legislation, he has the support of his party, there are no constitutional barriers to ranked ballots, and he will soon have the Senate stacked with cooperative 'Independents'.  Spring session of Parliament 2017, done deal.

21 hours ago, Smallc said:

I was about to say the same thing eyeball.

I guess that just shows how far to the Left you are, then. Maybe we can import Jeremy Corbyn for you if you don't consider him too far to the right.

21 hours ago, dre said:

Yeah well for Argus the left is an imaginary group of people that exists only in his head.

What do you consider to be the Left? Are you saying there is nobody on the Left in Canada? That would be a novel belief. Who are the Left? The senile old fossils of the Marxist Leninist party? Trudeau's Liberals have outflanked the NDP on the Left. How can anyone say the NDP is further to the Left than the Liberals?

On 2016-10-21 at 6:19 PM, Boges said:

The Libs played by the current FPTP rules and were duly disproportionately rewarded. The problem is that a governing party which benefited from this system will be reluctant to bring in rigorous PR and see a fall in seats no matter what it said in opposition. 

3 hours ago, Argus said:

I guess that just shows how far to the Left you are, then. Maybe we can import Jeremy Corbyn for you if you don't consider him too far to the right.

I guess Harper is a leftist too since Trudeau is continuing his policies. That's their point. But you're so biased against Trudeau you can't even see that he's just a selfie-posing Harper.

You have a skewed perspective because you live in one of the worlds most liberal democracies. In most of the world the liberals would be considered a center right government. A business government. 

Really not much different than Harper. He hasn't withdrawn from the middle east, hes approved LNG plants and pipelines, Hes chasing the same free trade deals Harper would have chased, hes kept bill C51, kept most of the useless omnibus crime bill, hes moving ahead with  Harpers decision to cut federal healthcare transfers.

Your need to generalize your political opponents as this spooky group "ooooh the left!!!", is just how your imagination works. I has nothing to do with reality.

Ranked Ballot System is such BS. 

It's meant to gauge support for parties based on 2nd an 3rd choices. But I want a Conservative to win and the competition is a Liberal, I'll put the Liberal at the bottom of the ranked ballot, behind the NDP, Greens, Communist, Independents. Even though the Liberals are close to the CPC on the political spectrum, having them second on the ballot is essentially a vote for the Liberals. 

On 10/22/2016 at 1:35 PM, overthere said:

So many people assume that proprep is what Trudeau had in mind when he promised electoral reform.

That's because so many people normally use the term proportional representation when discussing electoral reform.

He has the votes in the Commons to punch through ranked ballots legislation, he has the support of his party, there are no constitutional barriers to ranked ballots, and he will soon have the Senate stacked with cooperative 'Independents'.  Spring session of Parliament 2017, done deal.

In that case I expect interest in voting will continue trending downward overtime.

On 10/23/2016 at 8:25 PM, dre said:

You have a skewed perspective because you live in one of the worlds most liberal democracies. In most of the world the liberals would be considered a center right government. A business government. 

And if we lived in the US Harper would be considered a bleeding heart liberal. What point are you trying to make? I am not going by some sort of amorphous 'world standard' but by Canadian standards.

On 10/23/2016 at 8:25 PM, dre said:

Really not much different than Harper.

Oh don't be absurd. He spent most of his first year in office reversing everything he could that Harper did and imposing his racial, gender and multicultural ideological credos on all federal hiring. Now people are appointed not based on their knowledge or skill but whether they're members of a designated group the Left considers politically fashionable. He's spent the year ignoring our allies and sucking up to a variety of dictators and doing all but crawling on his belly at the UN to get himself a security council seat. The NDP is melting away because Trudeau has stolen all their policies.

57 minutes ago, Argus said:

Now people are appointed not based on their knowledge or skill but whether they're members of a designated group the Left considers politically fashionable.

Because Harper appointees were based on "knowledge and skill"!   :rolleyes:

Duffy...   Braseau....  Wallin...  Vic Toews as a judge...  an unqualified judge to the SCC...  Nigel Wright...  Bruce Carson...   Your bar for "knowledge and skill" is set very low indeed...