Trudeau's Committment to Syrian Refugees - 25,000 by Year End

This was a pivotal commitment by the Liberals. It played on the emotions of all those people who saw that poor child washed up on the beach - and it turned those emotions against a Prime Minister who was castigated as cold and heartless by "only" committing to 10,000 per year.

It's an important commitment to watch - one that will be straight forward to measure......just as they criticized the previous government - are they in Canada or not? It will be either the confirmation of a caring, action-oriented government - or the beginning of a recognition that Trudeau and his advisers are nothing but wolves in sheep's clothing - and can't be trusted.

Edited by Keepitsimple

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a TON of refugees. I don't know how they'll even process that many that quickly, especially in a responsible manner. They'll have less than 2 months to do it, I don't think it will happen. Maybe they'll be able to start opening claims on 25,000 syrians, but I can't see 25,000 in Canada by New Years Eve.

That number is a drop in the puddle compared to what European nations are dealing with.

And the Tories didn't even keep their small commitment... that was one of the problems with the CPC... the bold-faced lies and the pandering to their anti-migrant base.

That number is a drop in the puddle compared to what European nations are dealing with.

I don't know if they can have 25,000 here by December 21st, but they can certainly have 25,000 well in process by then. There's no reason that we can't use a few C-17s to go to Turkey and Lebanon with government officials on board to do the processing right there. The planes can then come back full of refugees.

I don't know if they can have 25,000 here by December 21st, but they can certainly have 25,000 well in process by then. There's no reason that we can't use a few C-17s to go to Turkey and Lebanon with government officials on board to do the processing right there. The planes can then come back full of refugees.

Even if the Liberals can't make that particular commitment by year's end, if they are in the process and it takes a few months longer, they will have done more for the problem in a few months than Harper did in a few years.

Missing the mark on this one isn't going to hurt him if there is actually ongoing sincere work to make it happen.

Even if the Liberals can't make that particular commitment by year's end, if they are in the process and it takes a few months longer, they will have done more for the problem in a few months than Harper did in a few years.

Missing the mark on this one isn't going to hurt him if there is actually ongoing sincere work to make it happen.

So far, before even taking office, it seems he's moving to keep most if not all of his promises.

So far, before even taking office, it seems he's moving to keep most if not all of his promises.

I agree. They will try to get it done. But, logistically, it may not be possible. But logistical problems aren't going to hurt him politically if the effort is made.

I agree. They will try to get it done. But, logistically, it may not be possible. But logistical problems aren't going to hurt him politically if the effort is made.

Don't be surprised if you see CF and DFATD personnel on the ground in planes, like I surmised. He probably can't get it done, but he'll make the effort.

Don't be surprised if you see CF and DFATD personnel on the ground in planes, like I surmised. He probably can't get it done, but he'll make the effort.

That will be good enough for me......but I would expect the commitment to be fulfilled by say, end of March.....that seems reasonable given the promise he made.

That will be good enough for me......but I would expect the commitment to be fulfilled by say, end of March.....that seems reasonable given the promise he made.

Yes, I'd rather it be done right than fast. I'm not so sure I support it at all (I've always been for more foreign aid spending - keeping the problems over there. Immigrants are good. Refugees.....).

And the Tories didn't even keep their small commitment... that was one of the problems with the CPC... the bold-faced lies and the pandering to their anti-migrant base.

European nations don't have to transport them, the refugees are coming from areas like Turkey into south-east Europe by land or boat themselves.

You're right, the CPC didn't keep their commitment, I think when the refugee story got traction in the campaign they had like 1500 government-sponsored refugees from Syria or something like that?

This was a pivotal commitment by the Liberals. It played on the emotions of all those people who saw that poor child washed up on the beach - and it turned those emotions against a Prime Minister who was castigated as cold and heartless by "only" committing to 10,000 per year.

I suppose you haven't considered the fact that every subsequent poll showed the majority of Canadians agreed with Harper and not Trudeau on this issue? The numbers weren't even close.

Edited by Scotty

While he ignores the ocean in between us.

They have these new things called planes... they actually fly over oceans without stopping!

71 flights, assuming a plane will hold 350 people. That's 1 flight per day until December 31 if they started tomorrow.

Is that really beyond the capability of Canada if we decided it was a priority? Oceans he says.... lol

The tsunami is happening now in Europe, countries are swamped unable to cope, including Germany. Greece, Calais, Germany and more are struggling to feed and house them. In Germany the police chief has called for separating groups due to violence and clashes.

While 25,000 is a drop in the bucket compared to Europe, we should still bring them in, in an orderly manner making sure they are vetted and processed first.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/11896855/Christian-and-Muslim-refugees-should-be-housed-separately-says-German-police-chief.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/greece/11950421/More-than-50000-migrants-arrive-in-Greece-in-one-week-the-highest-total-of-2015.html

I suppose you haven't considered the fact that every subsequent poll showed the majority of Canadians agreed with Harper and not Trudeau on this issue? The numbers weren't even close.

Overall, most Canadians (70%) say Canada has a role to play in the migrant crisis, but are divided on increasing the number of refugees the government sponsors and resettles here, and on seeing government spend more to make it happen. (54% and 51% support each, respectively)

Link

Almost half of Canadians want Canada to accept over 30,000 refugees from Syria, significantly more than Canada’s current commitments. Another 13% indicate Canada should accept between 20,000 and 30,000 and 11% said between 10,000 and 20,000 while just 13% indicated less than 10,000 Syrian refugees should be taken in.

Link

I am one of those Canadians......and for personal, not partisan reasons.....I hope this particular commitment falls by the wayside.... but what I'm saying is that if it does, it will show that this fresh-faced government may not be that different than the old.

Europe hasn't seen anything yet. Millions are coming.

This will be a good warm up for when climate change starts driving tens of millions of refugees northward. Europe is in a really tough place alright.

I keep reading that the Pacific Northwest is going to be one of the best places to be when climate change dislocation becomes a real issue. I'm already here, though, which means I'm already pretty darn lucky. Though I'm thinking of retiring a bit farther inland, and with any luck I'll already be dead by the time it really hits us. Leaving this to my kids/grandkids worries me a whole lot more than a bit of government debt.

If this election was a referendum on anything, it was a referendum on the refugee crisis, since that dominated much of the early campaign discourse (along with the ridiculous niqab "debate"). Trudeau got his mandate and the Tories were embarrassed by losses in ridings that had almost never been Liberal in the past. If people were so concerned about the refugees, they wouldn't have voted Liberal in droves.

Almost half of Canadians want Canada to accept over 30,000 refugees from Syria,

Maybe the immediate reaction to the dead child on the beach provoked a more emotional response. A more nuanced survey from the Toronto Star showed Canadians were far more divided, and more in support of Harper than the others. When the Star shows more support for Harper on a subject like this than other leaders I take that to be a survey free of bias. I'm also confident that if a new poll were taken it would find even less Canadians eager to import the same problems Europe is facing.

http://www.thestar.com/news/federal-election/2015/09/11/24-of-canadians-like-tory-plan-on-syrian-refugees-poll-shows.html

Edited by Scotty