Election Night Discussion Thread

I'm stuck behind an 18 wheeler with it's bow in one ditch and it's stern in the other. The super-tower is two hours away.

Good thing I voted in advance.

I voted as strategically as possible, against anyone from getting a majority. I suppose I would accept a Green majority my 1st preference with the rest following from 2nd to last...

A hung parliament, a weak NDP minority, a similarly weak Liberal minority, an even weaker Conservative minority to...having an asteroid fall on Ottawa. I guess if I had my druthers that would be my first preference.

Did not see asteroid on my ballet. That would have won hands down except in Ottawa

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is clear that 10 years is the maximum time for one guy to be PM. People get tired in that time and if a party wants to remain in power for more than 10 years they must change the leader and in that case the PM. However, that tactic didn't work out too well for the Conservatives in 1993 when they were annihilated.

Isn't Harper already one of the longest-serving PM's in the history together with Trudeau, Chretien and Mulroney?

Edited by -TSS-

It is clear that 10 years is the maximum time for one guy to be PM. People get tired in that time and if a party wants to remain in power for more than 10 years they must change the leader and in that case the PM. However, that tactic didn't work out too well for the Conservatives in 1993 when they were annihilated.

Isn't Harper already one of the longest-serving PM's in the history together with Trudeau, Chretien and Mulroney?

Laurier and King were, along with Trudeau, among the most successful PMs in history. It's these PMs which are why the Liberals are called the "natural governing party of Canada".

People get tired in that time and if a party wants to remain in power for more than 10 years they must change the leader and in that case the PM. However, that tactic didn't work out too well for the Conservatives in 1993 when they were annihilated.

More often than not a switch in leadership prior to an election results in the new leader being humiliated and forced to resign. If Harper believed the party was headed out the door he would be better off staying for the exit so the new leader can have a clean slate.

Apparently that applies to Atlantic Canada as well.

Yea, those poor people who didn't like having to o i dont know, support themselves most of the year, I know a lot of your don't understand this, but the thing you are cheering on isn't a good one, people voting liberal to avoid personal responsibility over their own well being isn't a good thing.

Most of my family lives in Nova Scotia, and im sad to say they are guilty of this too, i left, haven't been back there much for 20 years because i needed to take care of my own, they decided to stay where we grew up, and it's people like me who pay them to do it, and you cheer for that. They in many ways have been 'institutionalized' by the system, and now they don't know any other way, there's no question that some of you here are the same. it's a very sad way to live when there are options, im living proof those options exist.

Yea, those poor people who didn't like having to o i dont know, support themselves most of the year, I know a lot of your don't understand this, but the thing you are cheering on isn't a good one, people voting liberal to avoid personal responsibility over their own well being isn't a good thing.

Most of my family lives in Nova Scotia, and im sad to say they are guilty of this too, i left, haven't been back there much for 20 years because i needed to take care of my own, they decided to stay where we grew up, and it's people like me who pay them to do it, and you cheer for that. They in many ways have been 'institutionalized' by the system, and now they don't know any other way, there's no question that some of you here are the same. it's a very sad way to live when there are options, im living proof those options exist.

The chief reason the Maritime provinces joined Confederation was the economic woes that began in the region in the mid 19th century.

Could not agree more. It is psychologically destructive for people to live like that, it diminishes them as people. But people in those situations never realize it, they just think the answer is getting more and more from everyone else. Large sections of the native population are the ultimate example of that.

Liberal majority? Not good news for Canada. Majorities are not good for our democracy.

Obviously this is not the result I would prefer, but I can't agree with your assessment at all. Majorities offer stability and the opportunity for a governing party to sink or swim on their own policies, It's the only way that the people actually get the government that they voted for. When you have minorities, the entire election campaign is rendered meaningless because you end up having no option but to adopt policies that you campaigned against in order to actually stay in power.