The downfall of respected political discourse In Canada (and here)

Scotty

But it's ok when they call you a racist, don't you get it? They have been trained to think that way, the whole country has for 40 years, most of them do not have the intellectual independence required to think critically about an issue without running back to their progressive training, which is of course why we seem to have so many taboo subjects in Canada, not only are you wrong for even considering a different opinion, you aren't truly allowed to express it, not without immediately being labelled. Well, erm, ah idk gee, that's uncomfortable....RACIST! That'l shut em up.

Oh give me a break. The whole niqab debated degenerated into an anti-Muslim debate. Heck, there were no lack of posters who jumped on that bandwagon.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh give me a break. The whole niqab debated degenerated into an anti-Muslim debate. Heck, there were no lack of posters who jumped on that bandwagon.

Having skimmed it, I don't believe that's true. The great mass of posts which were anti-niqab spoke about how it represented the misogyny of a certain political/social belief system, about how it deprives the women who wear it of personhood, about the disrespect it showed to Canada, etc. etc. The namecalling, no matter what opinion was expressed, was heavy, and I believe you were an enthusiastic part of that name calling.

Having skimmed it, I don't believe that's true. The great mass of posts which were anti-niqab spoke about how it represented the misogyny of a certain political/social belief system, about how it deprives the women who wear it of personhood, about the disrespect it showed to Canada, etc. etc. The namecalling, no matter what opinion was expressed, was heavy, and I believe you were an enthusiastic part of that name calling.

And there is nothing that captures the hypocrisy and ignorance of this great mass of anti-niqab posts better than the fact that not one of them offered suggestions for doing anything about the real problem, misogyny. Not a single one.

In the face of such stubborn persistent ignorance it's hard to understand where the expectation of respectful discourse comes from.

Edited by eyeball

And there is nothing that captures the hypocrisy and ignorance of this great mass of anti-niqab posts better than the fact that not one of them offered suggestions for doing anything about the real problem, misogyny. Not a single one.

In the face of such stubborn persistent ignorance it's hard to understand where the expectation of respectful discourse comes from.

The discussion was not about misogyny in Canada, but about this symbol of imported misogyny of a much more virulent and hateful type.

The discussion was not about misogyny in Canada, but about this symbol of imported misogyny of a much more virulent and hateful type.

Lead Now and any of the other organizations that took money from foreign sources in order to defeat Harper will never be investigated because Elections Canada is run by Liberals bureaucrats. The main stream media will not shed light on the foreign funding because if paid for the campaign to get their enemy, Harper, out of office. Even the judiciary is mostly Liberal.

When the whole system is left wing corruption what can we do?

kind of ironic that the media would complain about ugly politics after three years of focusing on $90k-gate.

If on of Trudeau's underlings is up to anything shady that costs Canadians less than $200k I hope we don't find out about it. I'd honestly rather see parliament focus on the future, or even the present.

Edited by Charles Anthony
deleted re-copied [Opening Post]

• 3 weeks later...

Compared to political websites in the British Isles, the tone is different here - much less banter and self-mockery. People seem to think what they say matters in some way.

More importantly. People seem to think that anything anyone else says that they don't like matters in some way.

The crap started when we had a PM that had no problem dissing the queen, giving fellow Canadians the finger and telling others to fuck off, and it has gone even more down hill since. And lets not for get we have a PM ,that has no problem calling cabinet ministers a piece of shit in the commons. And we even had one in between that assaulted a protester.

Edited by PIK

Compared to political websites in the British Isles, the tone is different here - much less banter and self-mockery. People seem to think what they say matters in some way.

This is a well-run website largely concerned with English-Canadian federal politics. Necessarily, there are not many posters yet they take much interest in this topic. As a result, posts tend to be polite and threads short, unless it seems to matter and then a thread can seem bizarre to a foreigner. Banter or self-mockery? These topics matter to us - as they should to anyone who lives in any civilized democracy. I participate in a French-Canadian forum and I notice similar traits. Canada is a civilized country. Edited by August1991

This is a well-run website largely concerned with English-Canadian federal politics. Necessarily, there are not many posters yet they take much interest in this topic. As a result, posts tend to be polite and threads short, unless it seems to matters and then a thread can seem bizarre to a foreigner. Banter or self-mockery? These topics matter to us - as they should to anyone who lives in any civilized democracy. I participate in a French-Canadian forum and I notice similar traits. Canada is a civilized country.

A person can take a subject seriously without taking himself so seriously. That is where so many people fall down here. Posts could be considerably politer, in my view.

• 1 month later...

It's not correct to blame the Liberals, Conservatives, or NDP. Blame Reform/Alliance. They just took over the Conservative Party.

They were playing dirty for years. They just didn't get much airtime back in the day.

That's a unique view of history. Entirely wrong, too. The Reformers, when they came to Ottawa had a quaint notion of upgrading the tone and dignity of the House. They would be polite at all times, would not heckle, would not thump desks. For this they were mocked, ridiculed, jeered and insulted by the other parties as well as the national press gallery, portrayed as a bunch of rubes and hicks, and eventually learned to give as they got.

Maybe you should do a little research on the Rat Pack, a group of Liberals who actually set the tone for the insults and histrionics we see today.