Driving With Pride

Big Guy

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On one hand I don't think we should pander to much to religious beliefs, me being an Atheist I am more for the separation of church and everything. On the other hand people should be allowed the freedom of their beliefs.

This is a tough one.

There is nothing tough about this at all: ones belief in bad ideas does not give one permission to do anything one wants.

This respect for religion and religious ideas is complete and utter BS.

I will respect a religious persons' beliefs when that person has beliefs that are worth respecting.

Usually it is mutually exclusive though.

Really? Don't Muslims believe gays should be arrested and such? I'd like to know the lefty response to gays being arrested and executed for being gay.

I've never heard any complaints, as long as it's being done or being advocated by Muslims. You certainly won't hear anything from the local crowd of 'human rights' activists who harp on Israel all the time.

I'm glad the guy is going to quit his job. If you can't drive a bus containing, perfectly legal, advertising that you don't agree with...well the job is probably not a good fit anyway.

I expect many righties have lost interest in supporting the driver's religious objections to doing his job now that his Islamic beliefs are known.

There is nothing tough about this at all: ones belief in bad ideas does not give one permission to do anything one wants.

This respect for religion and religious ideas is complete and utter BS.

I will respect a religious persons' beliefs when that person has beliefs that are worth respecting.

Usually it is mutually exclusive though.

Yeah I think if it has anything to do with work he should be let go. No one cares about your religious beliefs just do your damn job. if he was a passenger I would say just get off the bus and take another one. Although that now raises questions about people being forced to do things for companies whose owners are religious. If this was a big Jesus saves bus or a anti-abortion bus and I had to drive it I would tell them to stick it too.

I've never heard any complaints, as long as it's being done or being advocated by Muslims. You certainly won't hear anything from the local crowd of 'human rights' activists who harp on Israel all the time.

So we won't hear anything from this group of people?

And who is in this group of people?

Are they aware of this story?

Have they commented on it one way or the other?

That is, as is usual when it comes to stories that involve religion, show us the evidence.

Otherwise, STFU with your useless speculation like you're some kind of gossip grandpa or something.

IOW: go make your strawmen elsewhere.

Yep, just more double standards from the left. If the driver was a christian there would be protests on the street, demanding his job. But since he's a Muslim, he gets a pass. Lefties also aren't freaking out about the news team execution because the guy was black. Had he been a white conservative, it would turned into another of those false, "hands up don't shoot" pet phrase campaigns. Like maybe, "Don't shoot, I've got a mic!"

Yep, just more double standards from the left. If the driver was a christian there would be protests on the street, demanding his job. But since he's a Muslim, he gets a pass. Lefties also aren't freaking out about the news team execution because the guy was black. Had he been a white conservative, it would turned into another of those false, "hands up don't shoot" pet phrase campaigns. Like maybe, "Don't shoot, I've got a mic!"

Where is the double-standard?

Who is being hypcritical?

Put up the evidence.

Given that I support progressive taxes and generally vote Liberal I, presumably, am on the "left" according to you and Argus.

I say throw the guy under the bus. Fire his ass and anyone else who will not do their job and drive a perfectly safe bus because their religious beliefs compel them to not drive it.

So, once again - put up the evidence or stop the strawman garbage.

Yep, just more double standards from the left. If the driver was a christian there would be protests on the street, demanding his job.

I'm also curious as to how many "protests on the street" the "left" have against Christians.

Have there been protests on the streets about the Christian paedophile priests?

I mean, I would love to see the paedophile priests lose their jobs (and go to jail too - that would be nice) but I don't know if a protest in the street would really do anything about it.

I believe that it is a question of the job descrition and the conditions of employment. Rather than making a big deal out of it the decision makers may let it go as a "reasonable accommodation".

If indeed job safety is the only issue, the individual (with the backing of the union paying for a lawyer) may argue that the colouring of the bus and the message is controversial. Therefore, he may argue that there is a danger that the driver will get caught between people throwing rocks, sabotage etc or some other demonstration from either pro or anti gay groups. He may argue that this is putting him and passengers in danger.

Not sure if it would work but civil tribunals make some unique decisions - depending on the leanings of the members of the tribunal.

Yep, just more double standards from the left. If the driver was a christian there would be protests on the street, demanding his job. But since he's a Muslim, he gets a pass.

Apparently he is a Christian driver who'd rather quit so no need to demand he be fired I guess.

Lefties also aren't freaking out about the news team execution because the guy was black.

He was obviously mentally ill, there's nothing here to freak out about.

Had he been a white conservative, it would turned into another of those false, "hands up don't shoot" pet phrase campaigns. Like maybe, "Don't shoot, I've got a mic!"

Maybe if that white conservative wasn't ill...slim chance of that...and it only would have turned into what you describe if he'd also been a cop.

Of course the Union is going to back him and of course the Union lawyer is going to come up with arguments to help his client.

That is what their role is.

Now, of course, this is mostly speculation anyway since I have not seen a follow up with real facts so who knows what will happen.

But if paedophile priests can get away with diddling kids then I suppose we should not expect a Muslim to get fired for potentially not driving a bus.

Edited by msj

The guy did this to help his union grievance case. It's reasonable accommodation on display. He's making sure he doesn't get assigned that bus. If he didn't vocally lodge his objection it would spoil his grievance application. It's (1) bus, easy to avoid. Same as if someone might object to (1) bus with Ashley Madison.com on it. It's when accomodation actually impacts business operations should management get their panties in a knot.

My earlier point is Calgary Transit took money from "those people"......his morals should dictate he quit whether he drives that (1) bus or not.

That's reasonable.

I'm an employer so the reality is that I would probably make an accommodation for an employee if it was easy to accommodate.

Of course I would not knowingly hire a Muslim, Jew or Christian in the first place.

I would also not knowingly hire a smoker for that matter.

Ok, just kidding about the religious people but I'm quite serious about smokers - really don't like them although I have one in my employ who has proven my stereotype wrong (most smokers are stinky, lazy, and dumb - this one smells fine, works hard and is intelligent - the first one I've ever met).

That's reasonable.

I'm an employer so the reality is that I would probably make an accommodation for an employee if it was easy to accommodate.

The sliminess just increased. The christian (don't know where individuals got muslim; I guess names other than Smith/Jones mean muslim now) is still in his hiring probationary phase. Putrid way to ensure you get through your probation period to guarantee employment. This guys a real piece.......

What an odd way to do it. Why not just put ones head down and do the work to get through the probationary period?

Union folk are weird.

Until he has been assigned the bus and refuses this is not really an issue.

I would like to see that happen to see how the courts would deal with it. At the same time this really is a small issue so the courts seem like overkill.

At the very least his manipulation shows a certain skill so maybe he should get a job at one of those big ministries John Oliver was criticizing the other week.

Ooops! It turns out the bus driver is a Muslim!

(now watch all the Lefties backtrack and scurry for cover!)

Quote from the only link supplied so far:

"Jesse Rau, who has worked for Calgary Transit as a driver for about a year, says he’s a Christian and can’t support homosexuality."

I suspect this guy wants to get fired.

A Calgary Transit driver, who created controversy over his refusal to drive a rainbow Pride bus, claims he's become the target of unfounded allegations at work.
"I feel like people at Calgary Transit are now against me because I stand firmly for my Christian faith and won't compromise my values," said Rau in a news release on Sunday.

Link

Who the frick puts out a news release complaining about and making allegations against his employer? He's angling for a dismissal and a lawsuit IMO.

Edited by Black Dog

I suspect this guy wants to get fired.

Link

Who the frick puts out a news release complaining about and making allegations against his employer? He's angling for a dismissal and a lawsuit IMO.

Rau belongs to a church where the Pastor has tried to crash the Calgary Stampede.

I would hazard a guess that this guy wants the attention and wants to make this an issue.

For that reason I am now back to firing him and making it an issue so that it is clear that a secular work environment is not going to care what your sky fairy says; just do your damn job.

And yes, contra Argus, it is clear that this guy is a Christian although one would be forgiven if you mistook their freakish behaviour with certain Muslims or Orthodox Jews. Or with that freaky lady in Kentucky who still won't issue marriage licences because it goes against God's word (despite the fact that she has been divorced).

Same nuts, different flavour.

Edited by msj

Looks like this is coming from a fringe Christian group...

This "church" lost its charitable tax exempt status. http://news.nationalpost.com/holy-post/calgary-church-loses-charitable-status-for-its-non-partisan-political-activities

Phelps-light?