One of the reasons I won't be voting for Harper: Economic record

You are telling me that Harper has not been pushing oil since he came to power? It's all the provinces' doing? You are in denial.

I think that Harper is the kind of person that pushes any type of economic activity. Since oil was doing well up until about 10 months ago, it wasn't a hard sell. Manufacturing is a much harder sell, but he has tried to sell it. Still, the bulk of the Canadian economy is and always will be service based. I guess that's Harper's fault too.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, that's why Harper's apologists don't get to just do the lament about falling oil prices! He was the one who banked on oil at $100 a barrel when he started his strategy of big tarsands and pipeline expansions. If it didn't work out for him, that says lots about his economic leadership abilities we hear so much of from rightwing sources!

And again we hear this silly suggestion that Harper was behind the expansion of the Canadian oil industry, and that he disdained all other industries! There's no evidence whatsoever behind it, other than that you hate oil and you hate Harper, so you like to link them together.

Another 39% of Canadians were happy enough with the job he was doing that they didn't feel the need to vote against him either.

At the time. Now it looks as though that's changed. When you can piss off the no-voters enough into voting against you, that says a lot about you as a leader.

Never voted Conservative since the PC went back on promise to not Tax Income Trust. Don't trust the Party or him. But the majority do! People like being deceived. Or there are to many st$&@1? Canadians.

PB43

It was admittedly a short-sighted promise. They never expected the big corporations to try to get in on the act. When that happened, they really had no choice.

Unfortunately for the anti-Harper crowd, the economy is making a surprising turnaround and the recession they were counting on? Ain't gonna happen.

Unfortunately for the Harper crowd, Stephen Harper still has the worst economic record of any Prime Minister since WW2. But don't let that stop you from enthusiastically shaking your pompom's for the worst team. Afterall, that's what die-hard fans do.

Unfortunately for the Harper crowd, Stephen Harper still has the worst economic record of any Prime Minister since WW2. But don't let that stop you from enthusiastically shaking your pompom's for the worst team. Afterall, that's what die-hard fans do.

It's quite coincidental that the world went through the worst recession since WWII during his tenure, not to even mention the precipitous drop in the price of oil.

Unfortunately for the Harper crowd, Stephen Harper still has the worst economic record of any Prime Minister since WW2.

Funny, I seem to recall the economic situation being far, far worse under Trudeau, Mulroney and in the early years of Chretien's rule. But I guess that doesn't count...

How about tax incentives? Close to $1.4 billion a year in subsidies which have increased oil production.

Link

Yeah, and? Do you think he hasn't given subsidies or money to other industries? What did we pay to keep GM from going bankrupt? Something like $10 billion wasn't it? There are billions of dollars in grans and tax refunds available to every kind of industry and business every year in Canada.

The pre-global recession numbers look much different than the post-global recession numbers. Perhaps some type of indication should be made to have an intellectually honest discussion. Also, referencing the extremelyl weak Obama economy should be noted.

there will be no honest discussions coming from the left, if that Rabble nonsense above is any indication.

The pre-global recession numbers look much different than the post-global recession numbers. Perhaps some type of indication should be made to have an intellectually honest discussion. Also, referencing the extremelyl weak Obama economy should be noted.

Actually it's the US economy under Obama that is helping ours of late.

I didn't realize he was in control of private pipeline and oil companies.

More like he still works for the petro lobby, and expects to be rewarded by them after leaving office.....but definitely won't get as much now as he would have if all of the tarsands schemes worked out as planned.

And again we hear this silly suggestion that Harper was behind the expansion of the Canadian oil industry, and that he disdained all other industries! There's no evidence whatsoever behind it, other than that you hate oil and you hate Harper, so you like to link them together.

What did the Harper Government offer us when an at par Cdn Dollar was finishing off the job done to Canadian manufacturing that NAFTA started?

Considering he has lowered my taxes more then any other government combined in all of canadian history. I say, thank you Steven.

What we really need now is spending on improving infrastructure, not tax cuts! Most of the benefits from tax cuts go to those of us who are already older, while the infrastructure spending that is being neglected will be a burden for the coming generations in the next few decades.....along with the costs of lots of old baby boomers!