Obama sings Amazing Grace

Presidents are gauged by the longevity and long term success of their initiatives. The two Roosevelts and Truman were not very popular during and shortly after their terms. Lincoln and Washington were cursed by many for years after they left office. Only time will tell with Obama with the objective test of history.

As to "Amazing Grace". It is one of my most favorite and endearing tunes. Many years ago I attended a World Pipe Band Competition and at the end of the day, all of the bagpipe bands assembled on the field and played Amazing Grace in unison. To hear hundreds of excellent pipers play that tune had the hairs on my arms standing out. Many, many people in the stands had tears in their eyes. I have never experienced something like that again.

Well said!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said. The even more ridiculous part is that Obama got the award before he even took office!

I don't know what they were thinking in Norway?

Were they just trying to kiss Obama's ass, or were they looking for more ways to dismiss any credibility their award had left?

Hard to say which it is? Maybe both?

WWWTT

Presidents are gauged by the longevity and long term success of their initiatives. The two Roosevelts and Truman were not very popular during and shortly after their terms. Lincoln and Washington were cursed by many for years after they left office. Only time will tell with Obama with the objective test of history.

Ya it's called "propaganda"!

Works best when the subject and most people of the era have already died!

Also called "rewriting history".

Lots of stuff get's cherry picked and tons more of stuff is intentionally forgotten and/or hidden away and/or taken out of context to fit an agenda that is always changing depending on the user.

A lot harder to do now on modern leaders with today's technology and media coverage.

WWWTT

He's always been a great performer. Just not a good executive.

Being someone who lives here I certainly agree. He can be a stirring orator. He's a lousy manager. Also he comes to the exact wrong decisions.

But he speaks well. I can't venture an opinion on his singing voice.

To WWWTT - The four American Presidents who are mentioned are considered by many historians as the four "best" presidents that the USA has had. I disagree with you about history - it is a very good evaluator than the present. While alive, these folks can spin what they want. After they are gone, historians pick them and their "legacy" apart - from Makenzie King using his dog as his advisor to Kennedy and his attitude towards marital fidelity.

Time tends to reveal the truth.

Edited by Big Guy

To WWWTT - The four American Presidents who are mentioned are considered by many historians as the four "best" presidents that the USA has had. I disagree with you about history - it is a very good evaluator than the present. While alive, these folks can spin what they want. After they are gone, historians pick them and their "legacy" apart - from Makenzie King using his dog as his advisor to Kennedy and his attitude towards marital fidelity.

Time tends to reveal the truth.

I see your point

Actually your point is what most of us initially have seen.

It takes work to shake off the propaganda that we have been feed by alleged historians.

Did they have 24hr media coverage during the American civil war? What about satellite news during Kennedy, Truman Or King's era's?

How can today's leaders hide away so easily when the media/social media are constantly on their asses 24/7? And rightfully so!

No, what you are doing is taking these past leaders out of context and are implying that they were under the same media/social microscope as today's leaders.

As well, you are under the impression that historians are independent of the influence of propaganda. Simply false and far from believable.

WWWTT

Being someone who lives here I certainly agree. He can be a stirring orator. He's a lousy manager. Also he comes to the exact wrong decisions.

But he speaks well. I can't venture an opinion on his singing voice.

It's sad that Reagan the actor was a far better president than Obama trying to act his way through it. It's also sad that the populace can be so easily swayed to vote for such an empty suit after he'd had such a poor record in his first term, and was caught on mic saying to a Russian leader that he'd be freer to act on missile defence after the election.

It's sad that Reagan the actor was a far better president than Obama trying to act his way through it. It's also sad that the populace can be so easily swayed to vote for such an empty suit after he'd had such a poor record in his first term, and was caught on mic saying to a Russian leader that he'd be freer to act on missile defence after the election.

Reagan should have stayed acting. Look what Reaganomics did for the debt.

No, Reagan was a terrible president who raised the debt, made immoral deals with the Contras and Iran, and did nothing while Pakistan got the bomb. Obama implemented Obamacare which, to quote Biden, was a "f***ing big deal." All the shrieking from the far right did nothing but ensure his second term.

Interesting...how was President Reagan supposed to stop India and Pakistan from getting the bomb using "peaceful" reactors and fuel provided by Canada ? Too funny !

President Obama largely continued the policies of the previous Bush Administration, while sucker punching rubes in the U.S. and Canada hoping for "big change".

Edited by bush_cheney2004

No, Reagan was a terrible president who raised the debt, made immoral deals with the Contras and Iran, and did nothing while Pakistan got the bomb. Obama implemented Obamacare which, to quote Biden, was a "f***ing big deal." All the shrieking from the far right did nothing but ensure his second term.

Complete and utter nonsense, and a poor attempt at trolling!

Complete and utter nonsense, and a poor attempt at trolling!

I realize trolling to you is when someone states facts that counter your agenda, but didn't you read Charlie Wilson's War? Reagan made a deal with Pakistani General Zia al-Haq to allow the CIA to supply and train the Afghani mujahedeen (including bin Laden) in Pakistan so long as Reagan would do nothing to stop Pakistan's ongoing development of nuclear weapons.

I realize the truth hurts sometimes. Better declare this off-topic quick!

Interesting...how was President Reagan supposed to stop India and Pakistan from getting the bomb using "peaceful" reactors and fuel provided by Canada ? Too funny !

President Obama largely continued the policies of the previous Bush Administration, while sucker punching rubes in the U.S. and Canada hoping for "big change".

Interesting.

According to you, Obama is a closet Republican who likes to sock it to unsuspecting gullible liberals. In spite of it, he is loathed by Republicans (and our resident Republican, Shady).

Something doesn't quite jive here.

According to you, Obama is a closet Republican who likes to sock it to unsuspecting gullible liberals. In spite of it, he is loathed by Republicans (and our resident Republican, Shady).

As with all presidents, it doesn't matter what Obama says....what matters is what he does. Like Bush before him, President Obama continued many domestic and foreign policies of his predecessor, and in some cases doubled down on them (e.g. "drone attacks").

That's why many "progressives" who voted Obama are mad as hell at him.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

But he gives a good speech! Oh and he can sing n probably dance, which apparently is all that some folks think makes a good president. Sounds kinda racist if you ask me.

Have you seen his latest approval rating? 50%. Suck it up.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

Oh and let's not forget Cuba today! The embassies. His approval rating will continue to move upwards. Obama is taking no prisoners as he rides out his last years. Good on him!!

Yes, getting no human rights concessions for the people in Cuba in exchange for normalizing relations is brilliant. Good on him! Just not for the folks that really need it.