Immigration

The problem is new people need to become Canadian. Not come here and then take advantage of the system or demand they we change our rules for them. That for sure is failure for that person. Come here learn the language, do not get into a ghetto, which you are screwed. Get out and become part of the country. You look in Vancouver where 3 generation people still do not know English, but that there makes them a prisoner in their communities ,because they cant leave. You have to adapted to our way, but yet still keep some of who you are. But becoming a Canadian is a must.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is new people need to become Canadian. Not come here and then take advantage of the system or demand they we change our rules for them. That for sure is failure for that person. Come here learn the language, do not get into a ghetto, which you are screwed. Get out and become part of the country. You look in Vancouver where 3 generation people still do not know English, but that there makes them a prisoner in their communities ,because they cant leave. You have to adapted to our way, but yet still keep some of who you are. But becoming a Canadian is a must.

Why do you think most people come here if not to become Canadian?

Some of those posters who are concerned about the "purity" of Canadian culture and "bad" things that are caused by immigrants might be interested in the follwoing:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2015/08/reflections-white-supremacist-150828100415193.html

"Early on the thrill of dominating someone else, and the ensuing consternation of parents and teachers, was plenty of justification. As I grew older, I found that the thrill was magnified immensely when it happened in the context of an 'us' versus 'them' narrative."

There is still hope for you.

Edited by Big Guy

Our social net. And CY ,my family has been here sine 1790's, I am Canadian. But as I said if the immigrant just gets into a ghetto, then what he does in life will be limited. With out English or French you are going no where.

The majority of people targeted by various plans are for economic immigrants. The family reunification is a way to make it fair, and also attractive to people we need, but who might not otherwise choose to come to Canada.

I'm not aware we are having a difficult time persuading people to emigrate to Canada. Why would we adjust the immigration system so as to damage the whole purpose of the system in order to persuade people who don't need persuading to come here?

It will cost us billions every year to look after the health needs of all these seniors and people who are almost seniors. Why would we do this? Why would the Liberals and New Democrats want to increase the number of such people coming here?

And why are you unable to find a single flaw or fault, either about immigration policy or about the immigration policies of the Liberals and New Democrats?

I'm not aware we are having a difficult time persuading people to emigrate to Canada. Why would we adjust the immigration system so as to damage the whole purpose of the system in order to persuade people who don't need persuading to come here?

It will cost us billions every year to look after the health needs of all these seniors and people who are almost seniors. Why would we do this? Why would the Liberals and New Democrats want to increase the number of such people coming here?

And why are you unable to find a single flaw or fault, either about immigration policy or about the immigration policies of the Liberals and New Democrats?

Take a look back to # 365 and try not to misquote, even if it may be self serving for you.

in 2014, immigrant 'seniors' were just 3.5% of the total immigrant number:

Thank you for posting this. It contains a number of interesting figures, though it is sometimes difficult to reconcile the various charts. For example, this http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/statistics/facts2014/permanent/04.asp seems to show that the figure for parents and grandparents is 7.6%. Then again, we can probably assume some of them are not yet 65, but are possibly only in their late fifties or early sixties.

I found this http://www.vancouversun.com/Opinion+Aging+immigrants+expensive+problem+Canada/9257730/story.html which is a couple of years old but seems to summarize my concerns with regard to the pressure on the health care system of bringing in older immigrants. It speaks about the Conservative government's trying to curtail this, and I would not be surprised if making people wait a long time was part of that strategy.

A backlog of more than 160,000 sponsored parents and grandparents was waiting to enter Canada by 2011. At existing admission rates, most would have waited years before being allowed to come here. The program is so popular it was estimated the queue could reach half a million by 2020 with a wait time of 15 years before entering Canada.

But now my concern is that Trudeau has spoken of these delays and his intention to expedite the immigration of parents and grandparents, and Mulcair has also spoken of realigning our immigration system to allow more family class immigrants, and loosening the rules on who qualifies. I do not see how Canada is helped by bringing half a million older immigrants here. I do see the great cost of such a thing, however, and the additional strain on our health care systems.

Edited by Civis Romanus sum

Take a look back to # 365 and try not to misquote, even if it may be self serving for you.

How am I misquoting you and how is anything I say 'self-serving'? You say that our immigration system is here to offset an aging population, and when asked about bringing over seniors, who will add to our aging population, you seem to be nothing but evasive. When I try to get an answer out of you your posts start becoming confrontational and insulting. Do you have a personal stake in this somehow?

How am I misquoting you and how is anything I say 'self-serving'? You say that our immigration system is here to offset an aging population, and when asked about bringing over seniors, who will add to our aging population, you seem to be nothing but evasive. When I try to get an answer out of you your posts start becoming confrontational and insulting. Do you have a personal stake in this somehow?

You suggested I was somehow critical of the CPC immigration policy when I clearly stated the similarities among all parties. I have no stake in this game but then I don't own a business that may be looking at future labor shortages.

Some of those posters who are concerned about the "purity" of Canadian culture and "bad" things that are caused by immigrants might be interested in the follwoing:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2015/08/reflections-white-supremacist-150828100415193.html

Oh yay, another sanctimonious sermon from Saint Big Guy standing high atop his pedestal, his nobility sternly rejecting any form of original thought.

I think you hit the nail on the head. That's the problem of having a multicultural system enshrined. I support an intercultural system, kinda like what Quebec does.

I've been to Vancouver, though, and people in the third generation almost always speak English, but even then, they still seemed to be trapped in ethnic enclaves (like Chinatowns).

When people come to Canada, I don't believe most of them want to just live in their old country with the same sorts of things (which is what happens in big city ethnic enclaves in Canada).

Edited by Vega

You suggested I was somehow critical of the CPC immigration policy when I clearly stated the similarities among all parties. I have no stake in this game but then I don't own a business that may be looking at future labor shortages.

Okay, because you seem very confrontational and defensive. Would you not agree that the older people we bring in as immigrants the less effective the immigration program would be at combating Canada's aging population?

Why do you think most people come here if not to become Canadian?

To take advantage of being on this part of the planet, it's why all my ancestors came here. In any case in addition to having Scottish, English, Irish, French, Metis, German, Hungarian, and Mexican ancestors to look forward to, future descendants of mine will now have Chinese heritage to call their own.

I look at it this way, we have a One World Market and One World Economy so the sooner we have a One World Species we can start edging towards a One World Government and finally start evolving towards becoming civilized. I say borrow a page from the Quiverfull movement and fill the planet up with Earthlings - beings who are capable of thinking outside a border. Maybe the only way to displace nationalist tendencies is to outbreed them.

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck." It can try to rationalize its "original thought" that causes it to think it is a swan - but it is still a duck.

First one would have to be smart enough to be able to tell the difference between a duck and a swan.

I think almost everyone is - except perhaps the duck who wants to be a swan.

Hey, you made a mistake and included my name in your reply. Have you forgotten you're too high on that pedestal of yours to actually speak to people - as opposed to lecturing down on them from above?

since we put no special emphasis into bringing in younger immigrants. Most are middle aged.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

There is no point in debating with you, when you are unaware of the immigration system.

I suggest that you look at the immigration programs and the changes that have been made in the last few years which show that we actually DO emphasize on bringing in younger immigrants.

Majority of immigrants are going to be coming into Canada through the Express Entry system. Have a look at the criteria so I don't have to waste my time correcting you all the time: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp

The figures were posted about two pages back, genius. Find someone who can explain how to read to show them to you.

1 - What figures? The ones that were posted by someone else? The figures do not back up your claim

2 - You know very little about the immigration system, the new programs, criteria and the changes that have been made in the past few years. If you did, you wouldn't make such blatantly misinformed comments such as this:

since we put no special emphasis into bringing in younger immigrants. Most are middle aged.

Harper is right about the fact that the root of refugee problem which is ISIS and war in middle east and poverty in Africa should be addressed rather than accepting millions of refugees. There are 50 million people displayed in Iraq, Syria and Africa are we going to take them all? They don't speak our language, most likely all with no skills or education and a burden on our health, education and social assistance programs. May be Mulcair wants to take a lot more but I don't think he is right about this.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

Harper is right about the fact that the root of refugee problem which is ISIS and war in middle east and poverty in Africa should be addressed rather than accepting millions of refugees. There are 50 million people displayed in Iraq, Syria and Africa are we going to take them all? They don't speak our language, most likely all with no skills or education and a burden on our health, education and social assistance programs. May be Mulcair wants to take a lot more but I don't think he is right about this.

It costs hundreds of times more to process and house and feed refugees here than to do the same back where they originated, which is most often Turkey. If the opposition wants to help them it ought to forward some money to Turkey and let the Turks do it. Today's bitching and crabbing by the opposition because of that picture of the drowned dead boy leaves out that the boy and his family were completely safe in Turkey. They left Turkey, trying to get to Greece, not so they'd be safer but because they wanted to make it to rich Europe.

It costs hundreds of times more to process and house and feed refugees here than to do the same back where they originated, which is most often Turkey. If the opposition wants to help them it ought to forward some money to Turkey and let the Turks do it. Today's bitching and crabbing by the opposition because of that picture of the drowned dead boy leaves out that the boy and his family were completely safe in Turkey. They left Turkey, trying to get to Greece, not so they'd be safer but because they wanted to make it to rich Europe.

It makes more sense for these refugees to choose between the countries who have participated in creating and maintaining instability there. Canada should take more Syrian and Libyan refugees.

Harper is right about the fact that the root of refugee problem which is ISIS and war in middle east and poverty in Africa should be addressed rather than accepting millions of refugees.

Harper is to stupid to realize why he's right though and his insight is bound to be worse than useless given the sorts of action his ilk usually support when addressing ME issues.

There are 50 million people displayed in Iraq, Syria and Africa are we going to take them all? They don't speak our language, most likely all with no skills or education and a burden on our health, education and social assistance programs. May be Mulcair wants to take a lot more but I don't think he is right about this.

Yep. And idiots like Harper will just keep fanning the flames of blowback until its a truly epic conflagration if not WW3.