Crime wave now spreads in US

Considering that the Baltimore police department policy requires that prisoners be seatbelted during transport, the fact that most Baltimore PD vans don't even have seatbelts is especially hilarious.

They've got millions of dollars to pay settlements, but they can't scrape up a few hundred bucks to head down to Princess Auto or Pick-n-Pull and pick up some seatbelts?

-k

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering that the Baltimore police department policy requires that prisoners be seatbelted during transport, the fact that most Baltimore PD vans don't even have seatbelts is especially hilarious.

Ain't never seen no seat belts in a paddy wagon. Dept policy says a lot of things....same as CBC policies !

They've got millions of dollars to pay settlements, but they can't scrape up a few hundred bucks to head down to Princess Auto or Pick-n-Pull and pick up some seatbelts?

That why cities buy liability insurance. Cost of doing business with perps.

Gray is not dead because he foolishly ran from the police. Gray is dead because a police officer decided to dish out some extrajudicial punishment for Gray's foolishness.

That seems likely at this point, but in that case this really bears little resemblance to the recently expressed concern about police shootings, racism and militarism. This sort of thing goes back many decades, or more likely centuries. Cops have always meted out their own little version of 'justice', or 'taught a lesson' to people they thought were acting up. Toronto had its Cherry Beach Express, and I'm sure there were similar things in almost every major jurisdiction around the world. We've moved further and further from the acceptance of that sort of thing in the past generation or so, but it seems there are still holdout 'traditions' in some poorly led jurisdictions.

Edited by Argus

Wagons in Canada don't have seatbelts either. We have two kinds of wagons here. We have the ones where it's a big open space in the back with a horseshoe shape steel benches and we have the ones where the back in divided into two halves down the middle with the seating facing the side of the van. both of these van types also come with front compartments where they put PC's or women or YO's.

Uhm how do you know this?

Freddie Gray is dead because he led a life of crime with a litany of prior arrests and previous criminal activity. Eventually that high risk lifestyle catches up with you, one way or another.

So I see you have arbitrarily decided that his priors now deserved the death penalty. Who the hell needs courts then. Maybe you should think about a career with the Baltimore PD.

So theory that the Media's agenda against the police has led to an increase of crime, as reported in the Wall Street Journal, needs to be expanded. The police are being resisted more frequently to the detriment of communities that see an increase in crime, but what about some of those in positions of higher responsibility, like Baltimore's mayor, saying absolutely indefensible things?

Way to go mayor.

Rawlings-Blake said she had ordered police to “give those who wished to destroy space to do that”.

CNN Fredricka Whitfield calls an attack on the Dallas Police Department "courageous and brave".

They both were forced to recant after the fact, but when those in positions of responsibility so obviously come out on the side of the thugs and rioters, people notice, and it lends support to those against the good officers and departments trying to to their work. I'm sure there are other examples of riot cheerleading or cop hating from on high. It seems to happen more often what with the Media's ridiculous focus on a few deaths a year of mostly thugs with long records, when hundreds of thousands of such incidents do not end in injury or death. So, any guesses as to when the next Media incited riot will occur? I'm betting by the end of July.

Edited by sharkman

So I see you have arbitrarily decided that his priors now deserved the death penalty. Who the hell needs courts then. Maybe you should think about a career with the Baltimore PD.

Nope, it doesn't deserve the death penalty. But the risk of being killed is much higher when you lead a life of crime.

Nope, it doesn't deserve the death penalty. But the risk of being killed is much higher when you lead a life of crime.

I think under any civilized law, you need to take the killing of a person (any person) on a case by case basis. You are trying to say that because he had a criminal record, this mans killing doesnt really matter. Apparently even the GJ in Baltimore understands that.

No that's not what he's saying, are you being obtuse on purpose? He's saying if you lead a life of crime, your chances of being killed are higher than if you don't lead a life of crime. Why is that so hard to understand. A person who continually drives recklessly also has a higher risk of death.

No that's not what he's saying, are you being obtuse on purpose? He's saying if you lead a life of crime, your chances of being killed are higher than if you don't lead a life of crime. Why is that so hard to understand. A person who continually drives recklessly also has a higher risk of death.

Yes...that is not very hard to understand. Criminals wonder why the police are always giving them a hard time. This perp would have been safer in prison.

You do understand what courts are I hope. They are the institutions that are meant to decide punishments for crimes.

You do understand what courts are I hope. They are the institutions that are meant to decide punishments for crimes.

Why are you assuming that criminal leading a life of crime would only die at the hands of police in some kind of abuse or shootout? Criminals kill each other and the courts or police have nothing to do with it. Gangs in any large American city take each other out and that doesn't seem to matter to you. Why do their lives matter so little to you?

Why are you assuming that criminal leading a life of crime would only die at the hands of police in some kind of abuse or shootout? Criminals kill each other and the courts or police have nothing to do with it. Gangs in any large American city take each other out and that doesn't seem to matter to you. Why do their lives matter so little to you?

No idea what you are attempting to say. I am discussing a specific case, which has resulted in murder charges against police.

I guess if you can't say why it's relevant that the guy might have been a criminal, it makes sense to come up with something even more wildly irrelevant: whether On Guard for Thee has adequate concern for gangsters who kill other gangsters.

No idea what you are attempting to say. I am discussing a specific case, which has resulted in murder charges against police.

You, my friend, view this forum as a game. Of course you understand what I'm talking about, you're not an idiot. You are, however, easily amused.

Suppose there's this guy Pete. His hobbies include extreme snowboarding, extreme off-road dirtbiking, cliff-diving, base-jumping, bare-hands rock-climbing, and any other adrenaline-junkie activity you can name.

One day, for no particular reason, I sneak up on him and drop one of my famous kimmy-busters on his chin. And unexpectedly, he's very badly injured, suffering a massive concussion or a massive brain hemorrhage or something terrible like that, and he's unable to work or live a normal life afterward. Pete can't sleep, feels constant dizziness and nausea, he has difficulty reading and even talking, he can't do any of the things he used to love.

And I'm on trial for basically ruining this man's life. My lawyer steps up in front of the judge and says "Your honor, just look at the hobbies Pete did before he was injured! When you consider all of the dangerous, reckless things Pete did,it's practically inevitable that he suffered an injury like this! In fact, it's amazing that he didn't suffer a brain injury sooner!"

Sounds pretty ludicrous, right? But that's the argument you and Shady are putting forward.

The fact that Freddie Gray had a long record of, apparently smoking and/or selling drugs might have put him at a higher risk of dying violently than somebody who lived a law abiding life. It also put him at higher risk of dying of manslaughter at the hands of a policeman than somebody who lived a law abiding life. But in no way does that absolve the police officer who, you know, actually did the manslaughter.

-k

{"Well, Freddie Gray was going to die young anyway, so Officer Goodson is just kind of a victim of fate, y'know? It's like, destiny."}

....The fact that Freddie Gray had a long record of, apparently smoking and/or selling drugs might have put him at a higher risk of dying violently than somebody who lived a law abiding life. It also put him at higher risk of dying of manslaughter at the hands of a policeman than somebody who lived a law abiding life.

Ya Think ? Freddie Gray's come and go on a routine basis.....never really getting that "law abiding life" thing. A pity.....

Ya Think ? Freddie Gray's come and go on a routine basis.....never really getting that "law abiding life" thing. A pity.....

...none of which has any bearing on the decision to prosecute thug cops who kill prisoners in custody.

-k