Mothers Day Stats

I was watching the Sunday morning political shows and caught the following on NBC:

There was a presentation of comparative statistics between 1960 and 2013:

Moms under 30 years old

1960 - 74% 2013 - 59%

Moms who attended some college

1960 - 18% 2013 - 60%

Average salary per week to-day

Dads - $985 Moms - $756

Children in single-mom households

1960 - 8% 2013 - 21%

I would assume that the figures are similar for Canadians.

Not sure what this means - if anything.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!

Phone your mom!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly true. Because we can earn a living and have babies, our responsibility has gained twofold! My daughter has two young sons. She wants to go back to work part-time to escape the doldrums of being at home 24/7. For that she is insulted for being a nasty mom and even wanting to dare to go back to work part time. Where will it end!

However, I did phone my mom today! And my daughters phoned me.

Not exactly true. Because we can earn a living and have babies, our responsibility has gained twofold! My daughter has two young sons. She wants to go back to work part-time to escape the doldrums of being at home 24/7. For that she is insulted for being a nasty mom and even wanting to dare to go back to work part time. Where will it end!

She needs to spend time with better people, also, choices have consequences, I feel bad for the children of an unhappy mother who wants to work more than be the mother she volunteered to be. No, i am not accusing your daughter of that, my wife also works, though she didn't when my children were very young and i think they are better off for it.

I feel bad for the children of an unhappy mother who wants to work more than be the mother she volunteered to be. No, i am not accusing your daughter of that, my wife also works, though she didn't when my children were very young and i think they are better off for it.

Do you not think that the male in the relationship should also spend some time off work to help take care of the children?

With more freedom and choices comes more responsibility and chances you make bad choices.

For every way of getting something right, there are unlimited ways of screwing it up.

Be careful for what you wish for. Cause you may just get it.

Freedom and choices is very much a good example of that

Not exactly true. Because we can earn a living and have babies, our responsibility has gained twofold! My daughter has two young sons. She wants to go back to work part-time to escape the doldrums of being at home 24/7. For that she is insulted for being a nasty mom and even wanting to dare to go back to work part time.

There's always idiots who stick their noses in others' business.

Who cares about their opinions!

That's BS. I think in today's society men and women are equally responsible for raising children. My wife stayed home, by her choice, not mine. I definitely didn't stay home as I don't think I could handle what she did.

My wife taught yoga and when to school in the evenings, so she could get out of the house. Maybe if your daughter is able to get out on a very regular basis and spend time with others, she can get best of both worlds. It was a bit of sacrifice on my part, as she left when I got home a lot of evenings, but we are all happier as a result... I'd be lying if I claimed to never had complained, but did push her to continue for her (, thus my,) sanity.

Do you not think that the male in the relationship should also spend some time off work to help take care of the children?

Of course, but women ultimately have all of the choices when it comes to having children, so i cannot feel that they are hard done by when they choose to have them if that means they get bored being at home with them, it's not as though they would be the first.

Edited by poochy

It's a nice theory. It's not the reality. Women, even those who work outside the home, still do the lion's share of housework and child rearing.

Nature better equipped women at performing those tasks, hormonally & physically. Are you saying billions of years of evolution are wrong?

I'm all for equality, but who are we trying to fool?

Ourselves?

Nature better equipped women at performing those tasks, hormonally & physically. Are you saying billions of years of evolution are wrong?

Ourselves?

There is nothing a woman can do that a man can't do just as well.

Ourselves?

You need some special hormonal or physical thing to vacuum or drive the kid to soccer practice or make dinner? I call bull****.

Edited by Michael Hardner
profanity

You need some special hormonal or physical thing to vacuum or drive the kid to soccer practice or make dinner? I call bull****.

While you are wasting you're time trying to re-invent the wheel, I'll just trust that billions of years of natural evolution is much wiser then any of us humans alive at this very moment.

While you are wasting you're time trying to re-invent the wheel, I'll just trust that billions of years of natural evolution is much wiser then any of us humans alive at this very moment.

Interesting choice of words, given that, if we were to simply defer to evolution, we'd never have invented the wheel. But we did, along with the vacuum cleaner, parental leave for men and other advancements that would helps us transcend our biology if biology was the determining factor in the division of household labour. Which it isn't.

Interesting choice of words, given that, if we were to simply defer to evolution, we'd never have invented the wheel. But we did, along with the vacuum cleaner, parental leave for men and other advancements that would helps us transcend our biology if biology was the determining factor in the division of household labour. Which it isn't.

We evolved great imaginations to help in our survival. Just like some animals evolved great speed to survive.

You're limited view of evolution is hindering you're capacities to see the bigger picture.

We evolved great imaginations to help in our survival. Just like some animals evolved great speed to survive.

You're limited view of evolution is hindering you're capacities to see the bigger picture.

So when it comes to survival, we can use our imaginations, but when it comes to divvying up the chores, we're slaves to our programming.

Boy some people will go to any length not to wash a goddamn dish.

Were talking about raising children, not giving birth. Once a baby breathes it's first breath, a father can do everything a mother can do.

What about breast feeding?

Edit: well I guess male lactation is possible if you take the correct hormones.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

So when it comes to survival, we can use our imaginations, but when it comes to divvying up the chores, we're slaves to our programming.

Boy some people will go to any length not to wash a goddamn dish.

we are looking at this subject from two very different positions.

I'm looking at it As a whole picture

And your looking at this very narrowly, as who isn't doing the dishes.

Edited by Freddy

Were talking about raising children, not giving birth. Once a baby breathes it's first breath, a father can do everything a mother can do.

Not with the same emotional attachments. Let's not kidd ourselves. Males don't have the same emotional capacities then females.