First female to pilot F-35

I get it now, sorta like when a man gets a job as a nurse or school teacher.

More like when a man gets a job as a Nun.

Kidding, obviously, but I think it's a slightly bigger deal than your examples.

As I said, it was only noted in the OP. There were no calls for the Order of Canada, or a commerative postage stamp, or anything like that.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More like when a man gets a job as a Nun.

Kidding, obviously, but I think it's a slightly bigger deal than your examples.

As I said, it was only noted in the OP. There were no calls for the Order of Canada, or a commerative postage stamp, or anything like that.

Actually, I'd compare it to an african "american/canadian" playing in the NHL. We understand that for the most part, their road might have been a little tougher, but they're here and doing quite well. No need to keep making news stories about it or identifying their race with every interview.

P.S - PK Subban is possibly the most underrated player in the NHL.

So, will we go through this routine with every new aircraft? I mean, at some point you're all gonna have to accept that women in flight is not new, it's just a new plane.

I agree.

Edited to add: Danica Patrick just passed the record for 'top 10 finishes by a woman'... less fanfare... she probably also passed number of finishes too but that hasn't really been noted.

Harold Innes asked the question "why to we pay attention to the things we pay attention to?"

Actually, I'd compare it to an african "american/canadian" playing in the NHL. We understand that for the most part, their road might have been a little tougher, but they're here and doing quite well. No need to keep making news stories about it or identifying their race with every interview.

P.S - PK Subban is possibly the most underrated player in the NHL.

I would agree. The first is worthy of note, as a trailblazer, I guess. Second and on, not so much.

Edited by bcsapper

It's pretty simple. A woman has made a strong gain in a predominantly male area. Not only is she flying a jet, she is participating in combat. To me that's worthy of note. Which is really all the OP did. Noted it.

I agree and I don't get the over the top reaction to th OP's post.

If you'd explain the "milestone" reached, then maybe more of us would see it the same way as you.

It's pretty simple. A woman has made a strong gain in a predominantly male area. Not only is she flying a jet, she is participating in combat. To me that's worthy of note. Which is really all the OP did. Noted it.

You mean you don't need someone to define the word milestone for you?

I get it now, sorta like when a man gets a job as a nurse or school teacher.

Can't just let women have this one, eh? You've always got to make it about men somehow? When we mention "firsts" do we then have to through a comprehensive list of all the other firsts while we're at it?

Have what exactly?

I suppose I shouldn't assume that the people I'm responding to are both reasonable and have a functional understanding of english. I'm not sure what this silly little game you're playing is all about, but I'm done humouring you.

You need someone to define "milestone," but you say I'm the one intentionally misunderstanding? lol :rolleyes:

Hal: "If you'd explain the "milestone" reached"

As someone with an IQ over 65 can see, I'm not asking for a definition, I'm asking what the milestone reached is.

If you not intentionally misunderstanding the post, then you're either not comprehending, or trying to fish from a slow moving boat.

I suppose I shouldn't assume that the people I'm responding to are both reasonable and have a functional understanding of english. I'm not sure what this silly little game you're playing is all about, but I'm done humouring you.

Cybercoma: Can't just let women have this one, eh?

Have what? What is it you women need from this? You really want men to throw you a bone and say "nice job doing what you've been doing for years"? Really?

Cybercoma: Can't just let women have this one, eh?

Have what? What is it you women need from this? You really want men to throw you a bone and say "nice job doing what you've been doing for years"? Really?

More to the point, what is it you need from this?

You're Intentionally misunderstanding! But why?

Because as has already been said, the need to be on the 'right' side of every argument overwhelms any logical consistency in some peoples arguments.

Im glad that women are flying fighter aircraft, but we already knew they could, no need to patronize them by celebrating something that is an individual accomplishment, but not one for all women. It doesn't matter though, if they can't attack your argument they will make one up for you that they can. Because if you say you are for equality, but you dont agree with their take on it, you simply aren't for equality, you're a bigot, you're a racist, etc, that's as deep as some here go.

Because as has already been said, the need to be on the 'right' side of every argument overwhelms any logical consistency in some peoples arguments.

Im glad that women are flying fighter aircraft, but we already knew they could, no need to patronize them by celebrating something that is an individual accomplishment, but not one for all women. It doesn't matter though, if they can't attack your argument they will make one up for you that they can. Because if you say you are for equality, but you dont agree with their take on it, you simply aren't for equality, you're a bigot, you're a racist, etc, that's as deep as some here go.

Or maybe just differ slightly on the whole issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eileen_Collins

A commander and pilot on the space shuttle. Golly gee, that F35 looked like an insurmountable piece of technology for women, but they finally did it!

OMG! there's two of them!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamela_Melroy

Unbelievable, i guess, to some of you.

That Collins is pretty impressive. Commanded a crew and flew the space shuttle 20 years ago. That's a pretty big milestone for women.

Poochy, this has nothing to do with ability. That's the point in this whole thing.

Exactly, well said, that is the point. I hope it will sink into those who seem to think there was any doubt on this side of the discussion as to the abilities of women. Taking note of an event which shows a further opportunity for women to express those abilities is worthwhile in my books.

That's the hilarious part about Smallc's comment. He's playing the victim card when clearly WCR is the one who has been attacked all over this thread. It's her opinion that they're trying to diminish, yet they're the ones being silenced. It's like a damn Kafka novel.

As much as I disagree with most of WCR posts, in some examples taking offense, in this instance, I agree, she's been run roughshod over a very inoffensive topic........

This isn't rocket science, it's merely recognizing that different things are important to different people for different reasons and respecting those differences.

Agreed, but I suppose some can find offense in anything.........