Montreal Riots

"Many of the demonstrators said they were bent on destroying capitalism..."

Wow! You don't think they did, do you?

I'm sure capitalism will be just fine.

I wonder if it will be a good, state owned, worker run company that will be fixing all those Starbuck's windows.

Economic stimulus! Creating jobs for hard-working tradesmen!

-k

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This "riot" was caused by police aggressively enforcing an illegitimate law, trying to disperse every protest immediately, with horses, tear gas, etc.

Montreal city council thugs can take the blame and pay the damages.

It took police just a few minutes after it started to declare the march illegal because organizers did not give the route beforehand.

It's disgusting.

Apparently, you don't believe in democracy. The city council is duly elected, and passed a law, which, i might add, is very strongly supported by the electorate. Giving notice of a route enables police to redirect traffic and try to keep the disruption of citizens' travel and business to a minimum. Springing up without notice and blocking traffic is illegal pretty much in every municipality in the world.

The fact these people were basically brainless thugs who just wanted to smash things and cause trouble, and had no real agenda other than that, should indicate their 'protest' was without value. The best case scenario would be for all of them to be arrested and trucked out into the country to spend the summer in forced labour working on farms.

This "riot" was caused by police aggressively enforcing an illegitimate law, trying to disperse every protest immediately, with horses, tear gas, etc.

Montreal city council thugs can take the blame and pay the damages.

It took police just a few minutes after it started to declare the march illegal because organizers did not give the route beforehand.

It's disgusting.

What's disgusting is the violence committed by these thugs. Just because you find a law "illegitimate" doesn't mean it is, and it doesn't give somebody the right to commit violent acts. Everybody has to follow the same rules, no matter if capitalism is being protested, or abortion. Your view of this is completely juvenile. If everybody resorted to violence as a result of so-called illegitimate laws, then we'd have anarcy. I'm guessing there's a lot of pro-life supporters that find abortion laws illegitimate. Perhaps they should destroy every clinic then. Since that seems to be your remedy.

I'm sure capitalism will be just fine.

Economic stimulus! Creating jobs for hard-working tradesmen!

-k

Hey, you better not let the resident feminist see you use words like "tradesmen". Just looking out for you and that Nissan.

Apparently, you don't believe in democracy. The city council is duly elected, and passed a law, which, i might add, is very strongly supported by the electorate. Giving notice of a route enables police to redirect traffic and try to keep the disruption of citizens' travel and business to a minimum. Springing up without notice and blocking traffic is illegal pretty much in every municipality in the world.

The fact these people were basically brainless thugs who just wanted to smash things and cause trouble, and had no real agenda other than that, should indicate their 'protest' was without value. The best case scenario would be for all of them to be arrested and trucked out into the country to spend the summer in forced labour working on farms.

Wait now, in another thread you tell us about how the electorate knows virtually nothing of what they vote for, now all of a sudden you assign them great credit. Maybe get your stories straight.

With all the taxes companies like Starbucks and McDonalds avoid by shifting money to Holland, and the wages they avoid paying by bringing in foreign workers, and all the money they save by buying produce grown by undocumented fieldworkers, and materials made in China, I think they can afford to replace their windows a few times a year. It's just a cost of doing business in the "I got mine" economy. Increasing numbers of angry people who didn't get theirs yet and aren't going to get theirs any time soon are a consequence of the business model.

-k

With all the taxes companies like Starbucks and McDonalds avoid by shifting money to Holland, and the wages they avoid paying by bringing in foreign workers, and all the money they save by buying produce grown by undocumented fieldworkers, and materials made in China, I think they can afford to replace their windows a few times a year. It's just a cost of doing business in the "I got mine" economy. Increasing numbers of angry people who didn't get theirs yet and aren't going to get theirs any time soon are a consequence of the business model.

-k

Starbucks and McDonalds pay taxes on the money they generate in the Canada. Making excuses for violence and the destruction of property is something you're better than kimmy.

Edited for removing Baltimore stuff.

Edited by Shady

Starbucks and McDonalds pay taxes on the money they generate in the Canada. Making excuses for violence and the destruction of property is something you're better than kimmy.

They dodge vast amounts of tax by licensing "intellectual property" (ie, the green mermaid logo, and calling a small a "tall" etc) at outrageous prices from Starbucks Holland. Right off the top, 10% of the money you give them is out of the country tax free. Tim and I had a long chat about this in a thread a while back. Their accountants are brilliant at finding ways to "lose money" into the pockets of their Dutch division.

In England, negative press over their tax avoidance strategies became so bad that they voluntarily left tax deductions on the table so that people would stop boycotting them.

Students are angry at austerity measures and rising tuition fees, and Starbucks is finding ways to avoid taxes, and they're confused about why people are mad? They're creating value for their shareholders, I guess, and the shareholders don't care about the rest until its their own windows that get smashed.

-k

....Students are angry at austerity measures and rising tuition fees, and Starbucks is finding ways to avoid taxes, and they're confused about why people are mad? They're creating value for their shareholders, I guess, and the shareholders don't care about the rest until its their own windows that get smashed.

So what if students are "angry" ? They should get their angry asses to the polls instead of throwing bricks through windows. Those who bothered to vote (for the Liberals) are getting exactly what was promised.

Exactly. Then maybe the party they vote for can bring in laws to get corporations to pay more taxes instead of expecting them to voluntarily pay more than the law states.

Right. Because everyday people don't ever take advantage of tax deduction available to them. Nobody ever cashes that refund cheque.

I got 7000$ back with all my tax deduction, But that doesn't count because I'm biased towards myself;)

If the protesters really want to affect capitalism they should Eat the Rich. Yes, drag them out of their Mercedes at a stoplight, run a spit through them and toast them on site. Not only will they help the working man gain some much needed protein in their fight against the running dog oppressors, I think they'll find that these scum are nicely marbled and tend to baste themselves.

If the protesters really want to affect capitalism they should Eat the Rich. Yes, drag them out of their Mercedes at a stoplight, run a spit through them and toast them on site. Not only will they help the working man gain some much needed protein in their fight against the running dog oppressors, I think they'll find that these scum are nicely marbled and tend to baste themselves.

im sorry to burst your bubble, but that wouldn't be environmentally sustainable. :) :) :)

I wonder if it will be a good, state owned, worker run company that will be fixing all those Starbuck's windows.

I've seen Walmart,KFC,Pizza Hut, 7-11, McDonalds in mainland China. Now those are western companies. Many other private companies in China.

Perhaps you have never been there perpetuates more ignorance?

No Starbucks, Chinese prefer tea to coffee on the mainland.

WWWTT

I've seen Walmart,KFC,Pizza Hut, 7-11, McDonalds in mainland China. Now those are western companies. Many other private companies in China.

WWWTT

Are you suggesting you would rather live in China? If so by all means go live there. We should ship them all the rioting Canadians too. :)

WWWTT

It's true I am fairly ignorant of which companies are now operating in China, but that post was to do with riots in Montreal.

-k

Yeah, I understand the theory, but that's not what's going on in Montreal. This isn't rioting or demonstrating by the down and out downtrodden hopeless proletariat. These are largely college students with their minds wrapped in leftist ideology. They're the same bunch which have been causing disturbances across college campuses for the last several years.

I don't believe you've ever been to or anywhere near China. I don't think you've ever even seen a documentary on it or could find it on a map.

They dodge vast amounts of tax by licensing "intellectual property" (ie, the green mermaid logo, and calling a small a "tall" etc) at outrageous prices from Starbucks Holland. Right off the top, 10% of the money you give them is out of the country tax free. Tim and I had a long chat about this in a thread a while back. Their accountants are brilliant at finding ways to "lose money" into the pockets of their Dutch division.

In England, negative press over their tax avoidance strategies became so bad that they voluntarily left tax deductions on the table so that people would stop boycotting them.

Students are angry at austerity measures and rising tuition fees, and Starbucks is finding ways to avoid taxes, and they're confused about why people are mad? They're creating value for their shareholders, I guess, and the shareholders don't care about the rest until its their own windows that get smashed.

-k

It's pretty damned pointless to smash windows at Starbucks. The way to affect change is to get the federal government to change the tax laws. I personally don't know anyone who wouldn't support such changes. And, btw, I happen to be a shareholder in Starbucks.

Btw, the cost to repair damages is also a tax writeoff. So the taxpayer winds up paying.

Edited by Argus

Right. Because everyday people don't ever take advantage of tax deduction available to them. Nobody ever cashes that refund cheque.

It's not the same thing, nor is the cost anywhere near as great. We're talking about companies earning billions which pay little taxes because of the ability to move the money around offshore.

It's not the same thing, nor is the cost anywhere near as great. We're talking about companies earning billions which pay little taxes because of the ability to move the money around offshore.

I was responding to Kimmy's claim that Starbucks uses offshore incorporation to shave 10% off their taxable income. Almost everyone has the ability to cut their tax load by that much if it's that important to them.

Violence is contributing to people's deaths by shortchanging the healthcare system when you avoid paying your share of the taxes.