Bill C-51: Federal Anti-Terror Legislation polling results

It sounds like a typical Harper strategy for sure. But in such cases the SCC doesnt need anyone to push an unconstitutional law in front of them .

All it will take is for the left to side with the SCC in order to push people to the Tories. The public needs to feel safe and the NDP or Liberals don't help people feel safe. Most people aren't political junkies like us, OK...they only see that the PM is trying to protect us from terror and the other parties are making excuses for them. Trying to see them as victims instead of the cold blooded killers they are.

It doesn't matter about the fine details. The public simply doesn't have the attention span or really care. Its all about the sound bites. Do you understand this?

Maybe we can't get you but we're not after you.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All it will take is for the left to side with the SCC in order to push people to the Tories. The public needs to feel safe and the NDP or Liberals don't help people feel safe. Most people aren't political junkies like us, OK...they only see that the PM is trying to protect us from terror and the other parties are making excuses for them. Trying to see them as victims instead of the cold blooded killers they are.

It doesn't matter about the fine details. The public simply doesn't have the attention span or really care. Its all about the sound bites. Do you understand this?

I dont know where you came up with this idea that anyone is trying to excuse as terrorist as a victim. (hyperbole again) The basic fear of this law is it tramples on charter rights without proper oversight, and there are doubts it will be any more effective than the laws already on the books. Apparently all it takes ar those sound bites to convince you though.

So you think Canadians will be more inclined to vote for someone who continually tries to enact laws that subvert the constitution. And at the same timey post your comments that suggest I think Canadians are stupid...

That already happened with Harper. Several times it has been attempted.

I find it funny the privacy commissioner can not testify at the hearings......and by funny I mean telling...

The witnesses yesterday laid out cogently exactly why this bill is messed up from the contraventions of the charter, to the inadequate funding in the budget, to the jurisdictional conflicts between CSIS/RCMP, as in the kind that led to 9/11 in the US and the ministerial individual decision making for no-fly lists (which were shown to be a problem when it wasn't at political whims). Opponents of the bill have identified the good (increased bond powers, etc.)......why can't the gov't come together with others on this? Is the election rhetoric really that needed for them?

As much as I oppose the bill, I must say the CSIS Director, Colombe had detailed responses. Committee members grilled him on certain specific sections of the bill and he was able to provide pointed answers, which I find refreshing. Usually the directors say 'i'll get back to you' or 'i don't recall' .......

To the best of my recollection, CSIS was created in the 1980's. Up to that point, the RCMP was responsible for both domestic and foreign intelligence. That situation caused too many crossovers, duplication and spying on domestic organizations.

The government of the time decided to separate the foreign intelligence aspect of the RCMP and called it CSIS. These were RCMP who just shifted into a new organization with domestic policing powers left to the RCMP.

Well, we now have this bill that gives domestic policing powers to CSIS without the stringent and transparent oversight required by the RCMP. We are now going to create exactly the same problems we had in the 1980's where domestic and foreign intelligence had to be separated. The new CSIS will now have the domestic powers of the RCMP without the overview required for domestic surveillance.

It seems to me that we are going backwards. Did we not learn the lesson the first time?

I'll be happy when the left stops fear mongering. Seriously no need for everyone to wet the pants over everything PM Harper does.

As you all keep saying the Const., Charter and the SCC will protect you from Harper. I know he is the boogyman for the left but seriously...slow your roll, as the urban blacks like to say.

I'll be happy when the left stops fear mongering. Seriously no need for everyone to wet the pants over everything PM Harper does.

As you all keep saying the Const., Charter and the SCC will protect you from Harper. I know he is the boogyman for the left but seriously...slow your roll, as the urban blacks like to say.

The only ones fear mongering are those who want to undermine the privacy and rights of Canadians.

Well, at least you've finally acknowledged this is all about politics and have dispensed with the BS about keeping Canada safe from the scar scary terrorists. Progress!

Eventually you are going to shoot down your own argument. You're doing a fine job of it already.

. I provide facts.

Its obvious we need bill c51. Muslim terrorists are attacking Canada. Muslims are targeting Canada more and more all the time. Soon they will be successful and kill Canadians.

We need C51 to help protect us from the Muslims who have seemingly gone crazy. The left has been acting like terrorists are victims. They are not victims, they are cold blooded killers.

PM Harper is doing a great job and is doing his Sunday best to protect us from terrorists.

. I provide facts.

Its obvious we need bill c51. Muslim terrorists are attacking Canada. Muslims are targeting Canada more and more all the time. Soon they will be successful and kill Canadians.

We need C51 to help protect us from the Muslims who have seemingly gone crazy. The left has been acting like terrorists are victims. They are not victims, they are cold blooded killers.

PM Harper is doing a great job and is doing his Sunday best to protect us from terrorists.

Anyone who advocates that Harper be more like Putin has already undermined his argument. But those lines you put down are quite fear mongering. Should I be in fear?

. I provide facts.

Repeating the same garbage over and over doesn't make it any less dumb.

I doubt you know anything at all about C-51, as evidenced by your earlier false claims that security agencies aren't currently allowed to share information.

Edited by Black Dog

The really sad thing in all this is that Canada will in all likelihood suffer a major terrorist attack - not in spite of Harper's reaction to terrorism but because of it.

I'm entirely convinced it's what he's hoping for. He's a religious fanatic and whether he's conscious of the fact or not willing to admit it he is helping to steer the world towards the same Apocalypse Islamists are - they're perfect enemies, both as conservative as the day is long and twice as loony.

. I provide facts.

Apparently the former chair of SIRC disagrees with you.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/proposed-csis-powers-a-constitutional-mess-former-watchdog-warns-1.2991660

Three or four at least, but seriously I won't be surprised in the least if it's in the hundreds or more. Followed by dozens of legislative reactions.

Three or four what? Casualties? That's not a major attack, that's a pretty bad car accident.

Hundreds? Highly unlikely. Such an attack would be complex and require a high degree of sophistication and planning and would be difficult to keep quiet. The danger, such as it is, comes from lone wolf types that are unlikely to broadcast their intentions.

. I provide facts.

He's using Stalin's playbook. Bill C 51 is like Stalin's "wrecking" law that he used to purge "enemies"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrecking_(Soviet_crime)

As applied in practice, "wrecking" and "sabotage" could refer to any actions which could be broadly construed to negatively affect the economy in some way, including failing to meet economic targets, causing poor morale among subordinates, lack of effort, or alleged or real incompetence. Thus, it referred to economic or industrial sabotage only in the very broadest sense. Many who were charged were merely scapegoats. In many cases, even those who were not engaged in industrial activity (including scientists) were charged with wrecking. Many of the victims of the Great Purge were charged with wrecking.

Edited by jacee

He's using Stalin's playbook. Bill C 51 is like Stalin's "wrecking" law that he used to purge "enemies"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrecking_(Soviet_crime)

As applied in practice, "wrecking" and "sabotage" could refer to any actions which could be broadly construed to negatively affect the economy in some way, including failing to meet economic targets, causing poor morale among subordinates, lack of effort, or alleged or real incompetence. Thus, it referred to economic or industrial sabotage only in the very broadest sense. Many who were charged were merely scapegoats. In many cases, even those who were not engaged in industrial activity (including scientists) were charged with wrecking. Many of the victims of the Great Purge were charged with wrecking.

Oh FFS.

You know, it's possible, even desirable, to oppose C-51 on its merits without resorting to this kind of hysterical claptrap.