The Setting Sun

Big Guy

No. ALL of the other mainstream news outlets, whether dedicated news channels, or stations that had news shows among other programming that built their presence off of mandatory carriage were their competition.

Youy can think that , but the truth is the licencing that they all ascribe to says the opposite.

Im not one to argue what they deem correct in a licence issue scenario , but hey,....you can if you want.

Ever wonder why there are "SUV of the Year" , "Compact Car of the year" and so on?

Its because they different reaches, diff audiences and so on.

In this case,no one watched Sun News no matter where it was. That part is obvious. Had the CRTC been really super nice and given them the leg up, they still would have failed.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. ALL of the other mainstream news outlets, whether dedicated news channels, or stations that had news shows among other programming that built their presence off of mandatory carriage were their competition.

To be correct any specialty channel was their competition from OutTV to Discovery Science as all they were was entertainment. In that case alot more didn't have mandatory coverage.......too bad they couldn't get a higher share than reruns of the Littlest Hobo.

The one thing I loved about Sun News was that it is now to the point that merely uttering the words 'Ezra Levant; makes a lefties head explode.

I have met and tried to talk to Ezra at an event in New York City. Trust me, he is not a nice person.

That being said, it appears to me that mandatory carriage of CBC and CTV give them an insuperable advantage.

The one thing I loved about Sun News was that it is now to the point that merely uttering the words 'Ezra Levant; makes a lefties head explode.

Why would you think that? Whose head explodes?

I'm just amazed at how popular a liar and very poor journalist is with conservatives....

Explode into laughter you must mean. The sad part is there are those that actually bought his crap, or at least I suspect they did. Did you.

Despite the fact that he is an obnoxious and arrogant excuse for a human being, sometimes he's right.

I think the real answer is one several have touched on. It quite simply had poor production values, and was all about talking heads. There was damned little actual news, even slanted news like Fox has. Did Sun news even have any actual reporters? It certainly didn't emulate FOX in having bright, cheery, personable hosts and newsreaders. Half the FOX crew (like CNN) are made up of what looks like models in miniskirts.

They also fell to the 'tell not show' problem of having unattractive talking heads who had good conservative credentials telling us something rather than having an attractive reporter out in the field showing us something, because, well that was cheaper to do, I guess. Are the FOX presenters conservative? A few are, but most are just hired to read the script and interview people. I found Sun dull, dull dull, and never could watch more than a minute or so of it, despite being a news junkie.

No Canadian network, news or otherwise, has the resources of Fox News Channel and parent corporation. Accordingly, production standards are lacking in many Canadian programs beyond hard news, not just SNN. It was silly to hold SNN up to such standards, especially after the CRTC culture police denied cable carriage.

No Canadian network, news or otherwise, has the resources of Fox News Channel and parent corporation. Accordingly, production standards are lacking in many Canadian programs beyond hard news, not just SNN. It was silly to hold SNN up to such standards, especially after the CRTC culture police denied cable carriage.

Fox production standards aren't exactly difficult to attain. They're certainly no higher than the CBC. The standards people held for SNN was first and foremost that it be entertaining. It wasn't.

Fox production standards aren't exactly difficult to attain. They're certainly no higher than the CBC. The standards people held for SNN was first and foremost that it be entertaining. It wasn't.

The CBC receives more than $1 billion CAD each year in direct government subsidy. FNC has wider international distribution and affiliation with other networks, more employees, and certainly more ad revenue. That's the "standard" that matters according to Sun's critics.

The CBC receives more than $1 billion CAD each year in direct government subsidy. FNC has wider international distribution and affiliation with other networks, more employees, and certainly more ad revenue. That's the "standard" that matters according to Sun's critics.

Well at least all money makes them entertaining, sort of. Unless you want to really want hear the news of course.

Sure...$1 billion per year for the CBC only impacts taxpayers, not consumers !

How much money does the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) get from federal taxes in the USA?

$445 million.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation_for_Public_Broadcasting

Does your hypocrisy know any bounds whatsoever? LOL

Why are you so obsessed with trolling this forum? It seems intelligent sometimes... Which is I guess why the mods keep you around... But it is so transparent and silly...

How much money does the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) get from federal taxes in the USA?

$445 million.

Why are you so obsessed with trolling this forum? It seems intelligent sometimes... Which is I guess why the mods keep you around... But it is so transparent and silly...

Efforts to defund the CPB are well documented, and it receives less than half as much as the CBC (state broadcaster) for a nation with 10 times the population. Also, the CPB and PBS attract and receive far more public donations and endowment support.

Why do the mods keep you around ?

Ya actually no Canadian network has the same HUGE RIGHT WING AUDIENCE as Fox news!

WWWTT

Somebody in Canada is watching Fox News Channel. It is carried by dozens of cable networks in Canada.

LOL!

Ya I guess so.

I guess the right wing media in Canada isn't as savvy as Fox news and still has lots to learn.

Maybe Sun news should have posted more human burnings? More police beatings? I don't know, you tell me what they should have done?

But generally, Canadian news outlets at some point of time have to cover news events in Canada. And Canada, fortunetly, but not entirely, doesn't have the same amount of racial division galvanizing the predominant "white right"

WWWTT

Ya I guess so.

I guess the right wing media in Canada isn't as savvy as Fox news and still has lots to learn.

...Maybe Sun news should have posted more human burnings? More police beatings? I don't know, you tell me what they should have done?

It's worse than that...."right wing media", just like "left wing media", has a bigger and better source for an ideology fix from multiple American outlets. You can see evidence of this right here on this forum. So SNN was actually competing with FNC, not duplicating it.

But generally, Canadian news outlets at some point of time have to cover news events in Canada. And Canada, fortunetly, but not entirely, doesn't have the same amount of racial division galvanizing the predominant "white right"

I don't know why Canada lacks more domestic content and resources, even when mandated by the CRTC culture police and huge taxpayer subsidies. It just can't compete I guess...

Edited by bush_cheney2004