The Setting Sun

Big Guy

No worries..

Translation, I will put some words up next that are total BS.

Do carry on.

.Canada will still have a state broadcaster that doesn't have to compete for audience share & revenue

Hmm.....may as well say I like apples, heres some oranges.

CBC and Sun News are not competitors.

CBC News Network and CTC News Channel were the competition, and none of them had to have mandatory carrier service (outside of Francaphonie area)

"CBC News Network is the subject of a mandatory distribution order, but only in francophone markets, at a rate of $0.15 per subscriber per month. In English Canada, it doesn’t have to be part of the basic package on digital cable or satellite, but there are few television providers that won’t offer it anyway since it’s one of Canada’s most popular specialty channels.

CTV News Channel is not subject to a mandatory distribution order, never has been, and cable and satellite providers have never been ordered by the CRTC to force it on all their subscribers."

, which is guaranteed by taxpayers.

They paid my cable bill ? Who knew?

The CRTC did not require cable carriage as it did for Sun's competitors.

Hey , may as well apply for work with Sun news or Fox....the purveyors of BS.

Nice try though. :lol:

:rolleyes:

I wonder if Sun would have managed to survive with an extra billion dollars each year....

Sure would have.....but none of the others got that so ,um....what a dumb question.

Edited by Guyser2

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fox News North was seen as a pejorative from opponents who think anything conservative is dumb.

So what ? It either has audience share and ad revenue or it doesn't.

Somebody is watching Fox News in Canada, even if nobody will admit it.

CTV and Global already buy 'merkin content out the ying yang.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I'm not much for TV news in the first place, unless there's some major News Story going on like a terrorist attack or a horrific storm (If it bleeds, it leads right?) Often I'd switch to Sun and they were bitching about JT or a Union story. Which is fine but they do know what's going on in the world right?

It had way to much opinion. Opinion is cheap afterall. BUT I'm sure they could have done more actual news had they been afforded the money that other news stations in Canada got.

I agree with Remiel:

The fundamental problem with Sun News was that they wanted to be called a news channel when their core content was editorial. Here you guys are complaining about losing their opinions. If CBC, or CTV, or Global went off the air people would be complaining about losing their coverage.

I agree, they were a conservative editorial news station. i can't think of another "news" station that editorialized as much as they did. They can't be compared to other major outlets that focused mostly on reporting. The National Post (website, not print) focuses more on editorials in their main coverage more than any other major Canadian news site as well, but at least they still cover a lot of news.

Sun's biggest problem was most of the people who were their target audience didn't watch the channel on TV. They just watched the clips of specific topics online. That doesn't pay the bills for a national network. I was certainly guilty of this. Once or twice a week, I'd check out a few of Ezra or Brian Lilley's clips. Always with an ad-blocker on too. Part of that was because only 40% of the country even had the channel available to them if they wanted it, but part of it was also because even like minded people could only take so much of the over-the-top presentation.

It is too bad that the counter-balance to the overt left wing bias is gone though. Sun was really the only TV news source that even bothered to fact check in any meaningful way.

Edited by Bryan

I think their main problem was that Canadian politics aren't sufficiently polarized for them. Even though the comments sections of newspapers, political forums like this one, and the PMO would suggest it's all us-vs-them, dark-vs-light, libs-vs-cons, most everyone in Canada, including the MSM, are in the mushy middle and have no interest in wedge politics.

As obvious as this is, I hadn't really connected the mashed-potatoes character of Canadians with their indifference to this type of info-tainment. Thanks for the observation, BM.

How many viewers were already watching Fox News ?

It's no fun without Jon Stewart or Colbert annotating it.

Colb's Notes...

As for too much 'American content', that is laughable given what I read on CBC.ca.

You have to repackage American content properly when showing it to Canadians. For example, superimpose a CBC logo on the bottom right hand corner of the screen and we're ready to drop the puck, buddy...

Part of that was because only 40% of the country even had the channel available to them if they wanted it,

And why was that? Because it was horrible TV with horrible graphics and horrible talking heads , for the most part. Not to mention it would appear to far right wing, no one had the stomach for that junk.

It is too bad that the counter-balance to the overt left wing bias is gone though. Sun was really the only TV news source that even bothered to fact check in any meaningful way.

You mean the same SunNews that got fingered numerous times for embellishing news, outright BS'ing and having hosts/Station legally required to apologize ?

Can one say the same about CBCNN and CTVNN ? (those are the competitors)

Nope. So much for that train of thought.

CBC embellishes news....broadcasts lies...covers ass with "corrections". How convenient.

Every single one on the planet does that.

Only a special few get sanctioned. Only one that I know get caught outright lying.....hello Ezra ! Out of a job? Oh so sad. There a little burg a long way from here just waiting for you. Go be a big fish in that little pond.

But please stay up on this, CBCNN and CTVNC is the comp, not CBC.

Because the CRTC made sure of it. They weren't allowed the same carriage as other channels.

Yes they were.

Best go check your facts, and not the ones you were given by Sun News .

CBCNN and CTVNC were never mandated to be provided. SNN got ratings slaughters because.....no one watched even if they could.

The Globe and Mail spell it out quite well...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/five-problems-that-led-to-sun-news-networks-demise/article22986815/

• No one watched...
  • Obnoxious hosts...
  • Ethical issues with their hosts...
  • Hypocrisy about funding... "Mr. Teneycke had penned a 2010 column attacking mandatory carriage as “tantamount to a tax on everyone with cable or satellite service,” and Sun News Network regularly criticized the CBC for relying on mandated public funding."
  • Shitty hosts...

Sounds like a recipe for success!!

As usual, you need to take your own advice.

As usual? LOL

I will re-post what I put here earlier....

CBC News Network is the subject of a mandatory distribution order, but only in francophone markets, at a rate of $0.15 per subscriber per month. In English Canada, it doesn’t have to be part of the basic package on digital cable or satellite, but there are few television providers that won’t offer it anyway since it’s one of Canada’s most popular specialty channels.

CTV News Channel is not subject to a mandatory distribution order, never has been, and cable and satellite providers have never been ordered by the CRTC to force it on all their subscribers.

In 2009, the CRTC decided that it would take a big step toward deregulating specialty services by opening up news and sports, the most profitable genres, to direct competition. CBC News Network and CTV News Channel were given a new class of licence, which included common obligations and also allowed them to negotiate carriage with cable and satellite providers, who could decide not to carry the channels if they felt the rate was too high. Sun News Network has this same class of licence.

It would be fair to say that CBC News Network had de facto mandatory distribution, in a cable universe of a handful of channels, and on an analog system that is now taking its dying breaths. But CTV News Channel has never been mandatory, even if cable companies decided to make it a basic cable channel.

http://blog.fagstein.com/2013/01/25/fact-check-sun-news/

Like I said...facts.

You're welcome.

Edited by Guyser2

Like I said...facts.

Not facts. Deliberate misrepresentations.

CBC and CTV built their audience and established their position off of many years of mandatory carriage. Their networks of multiple channels and websites were build off of that mandatory carriage. Many other specialty channels also rely on mandatory carriage.

Well, they are not comaparable so why do people keep doing it?

CBCNN and CTVNC are the competition.

No. ALL of the other mainstream news outlets, whether dedicated news channels, or stations that had news shows among other programming that built their presence off of mandatory carriage were their competition.

Not facts. Deliberate misrepresentations

CBC and CTV built their audience and established their position off of many years of mandatory carriage. Their networks of multiple channels and websites were build off of that mandatory carriage. Many other specialty channels also rely on mandatory carriage.

Um Bryan....did you not see the part in bold?

Shall I ...no I will copy it here, once again.

CBC News Network doesn’t have to be part of the basic package on digital cable or satellite, but there are few television providers that won’t offer it anyway since it’s one of Canada’s most popular specialty channels.

CTV News Channel is not subject to a mandatory distribution order, never has been, and cable and satellite providers have never been ordered by the CRTC to force it on all their subscribers