The Setting Sun

Big Guy

You're still lying, trying to wedge in things I didn't claim.

LOL... :lol: :lol: you didnt say...

CTV built their audience and established their position off of many years of mandatory carriage

See ing as you wont explain yourself (rather cannot) , I will just leave that up there to show just how silly you are coming across.

And by the way, it isnt lying when you posts get quoted .

Own it buttercup. Or be a pissant

:P

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, THAT is the quote I'm talking about. It's absolutely true, and it means exactly what it says. It does not mean anything else. There are no extra alternative meanings, no changes in tense that would be an entirely different discussion.

You seem to be of the impression that if a situation changes, all those years of the previous conditions never happened.

Yes, THAT is the quote I'm talking about. It's absolutely true, and it means exactly what it says. It does not mean anything else. There are no extra alternative meanings, no changes in tense that would be an entirely different discussion.

Oh, ok bryan, thanks for that . I appreciate.

Can you post up anything to cofirm CTV had mandatory carriage? Thats part of your rebuttal as posted above.

Good luck with that.

You seem to be of the impression that if a situation changes, all those years of the previous conditions never happened.

Lets see the link to those previous conditions then. Post up CTV was a mandatory carriage channel.

Not just CTV. Both CBC and CTV's news channels also had mandatory carriage when they were launched, and for several years after.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/11/13/sun-news-mandatory-carriage-crtc_n_2122391.html

When Newsworld launched in ’87 and when CTV Newsnet launched in ’97 they both received mandatory distribution rights from the CRTC – preferential treatment they both enjoyed for 21 and 13 years respectively. It goes without saying this helped them get established in the marketplace

Even when lambasting Sun News, Bell media properties make no attempt to hide this either:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/despite-the-irony-in-sun-tvs-plea-critics-should-back-its-bid-for-mandatory-carriage/article7816874/

CBC Newsworld and CTV Newsnet did indeed benefit from mandatory carriage when they were launched (in 1989 and 1997, respectively)
Edited by Bryan

• 8 months later...

Former Sun TV news anchor Krista Erickson just wrote a highly damning piece about her time at the network, particularly in regards to Sun News chief Kory Teneycke.

Her piece was originally published at National Newswatch, but has since been removed without explanation.

However, the internet never forgets, and the entirety of Erickson's account can be read at this archive website.

Erickson makes clear the extent to which Teneycke demanded that Sun News coverage be directed in a way most advantageous to the Conservative Party and their provincial allies.

Teneycke, like Harper, is a controlling authoritarian who hails from the Reform wing of the party. When the political stakes were high for Teneycke’s brethren, his partisanship often went into overdrive and the network’s spirit of fearless inquiry went out the window.

In the 2011 federal election, when the NDP’s “Orange Wave” threatened Harper’s prospects, the story of Jack Layton’s visit to a massage parlour fell into the lap of Sun News. The incident occurred sixteen years earlier when police encountered Layton naked on a massage table. There was no arrest, no criminal charge; therefore no criminal behavior. On these facts, the justification of a public interest in running the story was arguably thin. Management saw it differently, repeatedly descending on my office in the hours before broadcast to coach me on the editorial approach to be taken on-air: this was a major sex scandal involving the NDP leader.

Similarly, in the final stretch of the 2012 Alberta election, when the Reform Party’s provincial cousins, The Wildrose Party, lost momentum to the Progressive Conservatives, Teneycke and his subordinates instructed me to stop reporting on the homophobic gaffes of Wildrose candidates. He also demanded a segment discussing the Wildrose leader’s record on abortion be removed from my program lineup, an order that I resisted.

Staff who didn’t fall in line with talking points and Teneckye’s worldview were also in his sights. He hatched a plan to fire 40 to 50 percent of the Sun News staff, many of whom he suspected were Liberal sympathizers. The house-cleaning was to take place after the CRTC approved the network’s application for a mandatory carriage license, an event that never came to pass. Teneycke’s plans included populating the newsroom with even more Conservative staffers. “You can’t teach a producer how to be a Conservative. But you can teach a Conservative how to produce,” he told me.

Evidently, there were some Conservatives who couldn’t be taught. Former Harper speechwriter Michael Taube was a valued contributor who regularly appeared on the network. Taube’s record of criticizing some of the Harper government’s policies such as income splitting did not gain him favour with Teneycke. Producers were ordered to stop booking Taube on our program.

One of the most surprising things Erickson claims: Teneycke ordered the network to kill coverage of Amanda Todd because he feared it would help the opposition's proposal for anti-bullying legislation:

Even the apolitical was viewed through a partisan lens. Case in point, the network’s coverage of the RCMP’s 2012 investigation of the suicide of 15-year-old Amanda Todd. Teneycke told producers that Sun News was not going to continue to cover the story and, “help create another dead celebrity teen,” while assisting the Official Opposition with its proposed anti-bullying legislation.

While Sun TV supporters claimed it was a fair, balanced, objective network that was badly needed to counter the biased liberal media, it clearly was anything but. Teneycke went straight from his job in Harper's PMO to running Sun TV. And when Sun TV folded, he went straight back to running Harper's election campaign. It seems like it was little more than a sock-puppet for the Conservative party.

-k