The Setting Sun

Big Guy

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already did, your dishonesty and lack of reading comprehension is not my problem.

Ok bry...

Sun's biggest problem was most of the people who were their target audience didn't watch the channel on TV. They just watched the clips of specific topics online. That doesn't pay the bills for a national network. I was certainly guilty of this. Once or twice a week, I'd check out a few of Ezra or Brian Lilley's clips. Always with an ad-blocker on too. Part of that was because only 40% of the country even had the channel available to them if they wanted it, but part of it was also because even like minded people could only take so much of the over-the-top presentation.

It is too bad that the counter-balance to the overt left wing bias is gone though. Sun was really the only TV news source that even bothered to fact check in any meaningful way.

Because the CRTC made sure of it. They weren't allowed the same carriage as other channels.

As usual, you need to take your own advice.

If CBC had to operate under the same rules as SUN did, they'd be gone tomorrow too.

Not facts. Deliberate misrepresentations.

CBC and CTV built their audience and established their position off of many years of mandatory carriage. Their networks of multiple channels and websites were build off of that mandatory carriage. Many other specialty channels also rely on mandatory carriage.

No. ALL of the other mainstream news outlets, whether dedicated news channels, or stations that had news shows among other programming that built their presence off of mandatory carriage were their competition.

Yes, I see that you're being deliberately dishonest. As usual.

Ezra's problem is one of presentation, not content. He absolutely is one of the very best journalists in the country, but his style works much better in print than it does on video.

You did have to pay extra to get it. And that's if the cable company even carried it at all. I had to buy an obscure "News" bundle that had Russian and Korean news channels.

No. If anything, he proved his detractors to be liars. The ones who protested the loudest were the most dishonest. His issue was never veracity, it was that he wasn't very nice when he pointed out that the others were lying.

It's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. What Levant said is 100% factual. It's just not very nice.

What specifically is it that you think wasn't true?

What specifically is it that you think wasn't true?

It is true. Are you ready to stop lying yet?

I already did, your dishonesty and lack of reading comprehension is not my problem

There you go bryan, every post in this thread.

Be a sport and show me where you confirmed/indicated/linked to/found out that CBCNN and CTVNC were mandated to be carried ?

And while you are at it, heres that link and quote, once again for posterity in case you have a brain freeze whilst tring to dig out from this....

CBC News Network is the subject of a mandatory distribution order, but only in francophone markets, at a rate of $0.15 per subscriber per month. In English Canada, it doesn’t have to be part of the basic package on digital cable or satellite, but there are few television providers that won’t offer it anyway since it’s one of Canada’s most popular specialty channels.

CTV News Channel is not subject to a mandatory distribution order, never has been, and cable and satellite providers have never been ordered by the CRTC to force it on all their subscribers.

In 2009, the CRTC decided that it would take a big step toward deregulating specialty services by opening up news and sports, the most profitable genres, to direct competition. CBC News Network and CTV News Channel were given a new class of licence, which included common obligations and also allowed them to negotiate carriage with cable and satellite providers, who could decide not to carry the channels if they felt the rate was too high. Sun News Network has this same class of licence.

It would be fair to say that CBC News Network had de facto mandatory distribution, in a cable universe of a handful of channels, and on an analog system that is now taking its dying breaths. But CTV News Channel has never been mandatory, even if cable companies decided to make it a basic cable channel.

Note the words, Never mandated, same class of llicence for all three and so on.

The popcorn is ready.

Still taking those classes at the Joseph Goebbels school of debate I see.

So what you are saying is you were wrong, otherwise youd be happy to point out where I am wrong.

But you didnt, so....thanks for admitting (by omission) that what you wrote was BS.

And for the record, CBCNN and CTVNC never were mandated and SNN had the same licence, but they sucked sooooo bad no one would watch nor pay for it.

:lol::lol:

Edited by Guyser2

Try something new. Post something that isn't a lie. I'm not sure that I've ever seen you do that on this site.

And once again, you come on here without a shred or evidence, nor decency, only to be pantsed again.

Either post up the mandatory carriage for all three or go pound sand.

No sense continually embarassing yourself.

I get it, you cant but continue on like this? Why?

Levant's not gone.......CBC will hire him as a contributor......I find they love this Crossfire......politik baiting now.....ratings and all you know.

What a concept! Now that they can't subsidize the rest of their content with hockey money, that have to actually try to make programming people might want to watch. CRAZY!

It's funny that you made that comment in a thread about the death of a channel that nobody wanted to watch.

Sure, and the free market spoke. It's too bad fans of the CBC don't care if people actually watch or not, they want the Feds to subsidize their niche TV Network.

Now that a private company has taken their sweetest plum away from them they're crying poor.

Now you're lying too.

Please explain how CBCNN got dropped if it is "mandatory".

While sometimes thought to be a mandatory basic cable channel, there are in fact a number of cable systems, owned at the time by Persona, that did not carry CBC News Network at all during much of the 2000s. The channel was dropped by these systems in 2000, due to a fee dispute between Persona (then known as Regional Cablesystems; later acquired by Eastlink) and the CBC.[2] The channel is believed to have since returned to most (if not all) of these systems.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBC_News_Network

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newsworld-disappears-from-rural-cable-1.221341

Rural Cable TV Subscribers in most of this province have had their CBC Newsworld switched off.

Finally...some hard numbers for Canadian (broadcast ?) television audience share. Looks like CTV News ranks highest (but not Top 10), and the CBC has a strong contender in "Book of Negroes" and "Murdoch"!

On balance....CTV and Global kick the CBC's ass...but we already knew that.

http://assets.numeris.ca/Downloads/January%2026%20-%20February%201,%202015%20%28National%29.pdf

Finally...some hard numbers for Canadian (broadcast ?) television audience share. Looks like CTV News ranks highest (but not Top 10), and the CBC has a strong contender in "Book of Negroes" and "Murdoch"!

On balance....CTV and Global kick the CBC's ass...but we already knew that.

http://assets.numeris.ca/Downloads/January%2026%20-%20February%201,%202015%20%28National%29.pdf

What's interesting about that is that CTV News shows up twice and The National doesn't show up at all. No wonder they don't want to reveal Peter Mansbridge's real salary.

What's interesting about that is that CTV News shows up twice and The National doesn't show up at all. No wonder they don't want to reveal Peter Mansbridge's real salary.

Yes, that is odd.

Maybe The National has much higher ratings in Quebec, which is not covered by the Numeris/Nielsen people box meters. I guess they use diaries.

Does the CBC use an SAP channel for French language, or is it a separate broadcast ?

Yes, that is odd.

Maybe The National has much higher ratings in Quebec, which is not covered by the Numeris/Nielsen people box meters. I guess they use diaries.

Does the CBC use an SAP channel for French language, or is it a separate broadcast ?

I believe CBC in Quebec is completely different, it's called Radio Canada.

I don't believe they use diaries anymore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numeris

Gosh.....dont you know you are lying ? Who knew, and even with links from CRTC and equivalents we still are.

Thus.....alternate universe for some.

Let me guess.....someone accusing us of lying watched Ezra and SNN and now has no idea the truth.

Comical really :lol: