Lowering Voting Age to 16

I think the country would strongly consider lowering the voting age to 16. High school students are more engaged than ever and are getting fed up with the fact that their futures aren't as strong as some would like them to believe. Great things are happening in public schools as schools are paying more attention to social justice and social activism. I am all for letting 16 year old vote. They know more than most adults. Public schools are doing a great job forwarding democracy. It's sad that others want to keep the youth of the nation silent. Look at all the kids who have been socially active at WE DAY events across Canada. Kids care. Let 'em vote!!!

http://www.portagedailygraphic.com/2014/10/25/so-heres-one-to-ponder--how-about-lowering-the-voting-age-to-16

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the country would strongly consider lowering the voting age to 16. High school students are more engaged than ever and are getting fed up with the fact that their futures aren't as strong as some would like them to believe. Great things are happening in public schools as schools are paying more attention to social justice and social activism. I am all for letting 16 year old vote. They know more than most adults. Public schools are doing a great job forwarding democracy. It's sad that others want to keep the youth of the nation silent. Look at all the kids who have been socially active at WE DAY events across Canada. Kids care. Let 'em vote!!!

http://www.portagedailygraphic.com/2014/10/25/so-heres-one-to-ponder--how-about-lowering-the-voting-age-to-16

Do 16 year old's pay taxes? Only the ones that work, which might be 50% but I think it's even lower than that. Also although they might be more engaged than some adults, that's mostly due to the fact that they civics is an important part of most curriculum's especially social sciences. I remember most of my high school (as I am only 20), I remember I had 4 teachers that were strong NDP supporters one of which ran for the NDP, and then most of the other teachers were either apathetic, or centrist. Throughout my whole High School I only remember having 2 staunchly conservative teachers. Not only that but High School curriculum's, I remember watching two Michael Moore films (Supersize Me in health, and Bowling for Columbine in Social Studies), Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth in science, but would we be able to watch Bloodmoney in health- no, would we be able to watch Fracknation in science- no. It's a miracle I survived High School as a conservative, although I was more a libertarian during HS. So don't pretend this isn't a tactic to support your own political ideology.

Most people under the age of 30 if they have political beliefs, they lean more left. Now I disagree with raising the voting age too even though it would help my own party. Raising it to 30, there's no reason besides your own political motives. Raising it to 25 (or would have 21) is because that's the time scientists say your brain stops developing, but just because your brain is still developing doesn't mean you aren't old enough to form an opinion.

I like the voting age being 18, if you're old enough to die for your country, you're old enough to elect leaders that will send you there. People are allowed to have differing opinions that's part of democracy, just the reason why we have age related laws is because people believe that you are not prepared or not informed enough to take part in certain actions, in the case of voting, I don't believe 16 year olds are exposed to enough alternative opinions.

What's WE DAY?

Anyways, I actually think the voting age should be raised to 25. Not lowered.

We Day is a left-wing movement to engage youth globally, their stated goal is to empower a generation to shift the world from "me" to "we" - from a focus on the individual to the power of community. So basically a new communist movement that hides from communist labels. It's gotten support from many celebrities.

Most of the issues they discuss are environmentalist or anti-capitalist issues.

Edited by ProudCanadianConservative

It should be freaking obvious that the right wingers want it raised for the same damn reason the lefties want it lowered.

Propose we govern ourselves with citizens assemblies instead and watch political parties act like they've been the best of friends forever.

Edited by eyeball

It should be freaking obvious that the right wingers want it raised for the same damn reason the lefties want it lowered.

Propose we govern ourselves with citizens assemblies instead and watch political parties act like they've been the best of friends forever.

Sort of... but conservatives want wiser voters, while liberals want less informed voters.

I'm betting the number of right wing voters that are losing their faculties due to age and the naivete of youthful voters cancel each other out.

I'm one of those "older" voters and I take great offense to that comment - great offense!!.....darn - I know there was a point I wanted to make but I can't remember what it was. ^_^

I doubt it. If voting age was 16, teachers would be shutting down schools and driving KIDS to the polling stations themselves.

If it was lowered the right would be digging up the dead and registering them to vote.

A zombie apocalypse of sorts.

Edited by eyeball

Do 16 year old's pay taxes? Only the ones that work, which might be 50% but I think it's even lower than that. Also although they might be more engaged than some adults, that's mostly due to the fact that they civics is an important part of most curriculum's especially social sciences. I remember most of my high school (as I am only 20), I remember I had 4 teachers that were strong NDP supporters one of which ran for the NDP, and then most of the other teachers were either apathetic, or centrist. Throughout my whole High School I only remember having 2 staunchly conservative teachers. Not only that but High School curriculum's, I remember watching two Michael Moore films (Supersize Me in health, and Bowling for Columbine in Social Studies), Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth in science, but would we be able to watch Bloodmoney in health- no, would we be able to watch Fracknation in science- no. It's a miracle I survived High School as a conservative, although I was more a libertarian during HS. So don't pretend this isn't a tactic to support your own political ideology.

Most people under the age of 30 if they have political beliefs, they lean more left. Now I disagree with raising the voting age too even though it would help my own party. Raising it to 30, there's no reason besides your own political motives. Raising it to 25 (or would have 21) is because that's the time scientists say your brain stops developing, but just because your brain is still developing doesn't mean you aren't old enough to form an opinion.

I like the voting age being 18, if you're old enough to die for your country, you're old enough to elect leaders that will send you there. People are allowed to have differing opinions that's part of democracy, just the reason why we have age related laws is because people believe that you are not prepared or not informed enough to take part in certain actions, in the case of voting, I don't believe 16 year olds are exposed to enough alternative opinions.

Supersize me was not a Michael Moore documentary. You lose credibility when you post falsehoods.

We Day is a left-wing movement to engage youth globally, their stated goal is to empower a generation to shift the world from "me" to "we" - from a focus on the individual to the power of community. So basically a new communist movement that hides from communist labels. It's gotten support from many celebrities.

Most of the issues they discuss are environmentalist or anti-capitalist issues.

There is nothing "communist" about We Day. What a silly comment intended to make people who know nothing about WE Day think it is something it is not. WE DAY challenges students to make the world a better place.

This is what WE DAY. Don't be misinformed by people here who turn against WE DAY because of a right wing agenda.

16-year olds are minors and can't even sign legally-binding contracts. They're just barely old enough to get part time jobs and many of them have never made a dollar on their own. For all intents and purposes they're essentially uneducated and they're highly impressionable to boot. A vote from a 16 year old would usually be a vote determined by the kid's parents or (even worse) by their teachers.

There is nothing "communist" about We Day. What a silly comment intended to make people who know nothing about WE Day think it is something it is not. WE DAY challenges students to make the world a better place.

Okay i'll admit it isn't communist, but by it's own mission statement it is collectivist.