What should be done with the surplus?

Topaz

One of the major functions of our government is the redistribution of our money. It collects our taxes and redistributes it according to the current political philosophy. The bean counters project the amount it will need to finance the various initiatives over the next year and set the tax rate. They call it a budget.

If the bean counters underestimate the needs then there is not enough collected and we call it a deficit. If they overestimate the needs then they call it a surplus. Both are mistakes in estimate.

The unfortunate aspect is that when they make a mistake where there is a surplus, they do not return the funds to those who have been over taxed - us. Instead the government feels pressured to spend it on initiatives which satisfy the dogma of the party in majority.

Dear govt - please figure out how much you over taxed me and send it ASAP. I assume you will include the interest.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the major functions of our government is the redistribution of our money. It collects our taxes and redistributes it according to the current political philosophy. The bean counters project the amount it will need to finance the various initiatives over the next year and set the tax rate. They call it a budget.

If the bean counters underestimate the needs then there is not enough collected and we call it a deficit. If they overestimate the needs then they call it a surplus. Both are mistakes in estimate.

The unfortunate aspect is that when they make a mistake where there is a surplus, they do not return the funds to those who have been over taxed - us. Instead the government feels pressured to spend it on initiatives which satisfy the dogma of the party in majority.

Dear govt - please figure out how much you over taxed me and send it ASAP. I assume you will include the interest.

What I would do for a law that mandated a balanced budget every year.

Gee, thanks for the explanation. We needed it...

or they could pay back the deficit....

Harper is doing a excellent job and this is going to pay off well. And now that Obama can't screw with the pipelines anymore that will go thru. The middle class is doing great, the deal with china is going to be huge. And harper came back with over 2 bil in contracts ,when chretien it seemed went over ever other week and cone back with a few mil. But then he was just setting up his retirement with our money. But trudeau's plan of say nothing and I am quarenteed to win ,is going to blow up in his face. And on the scandal side , very little compared to past governments. Come election time people will then realize how good harper has been. And IMO they won't need to do any attack ads because trudeau himself is a walking attack ad for the conervatives.

It is our money, but funny how everyone wants him to spend it on the debt. To bad chretien did not spend more on the debt ,instead on million dollar fountains.

Edited by PIK

I don't think I've seen one post supporting the NDP's National Child Care program.....funny thing about that and nobody mentions it in the media. Quebec - the model that the Left swoons over - has been running their program for 20 years. Day Care is a Provincial responsibility - yet not one province has chosen to introduce a similar program. Not one. A reasonable question might be.......why not?

We could start to pay down the debt, but how long has Canada been maintaining a debt? And by that how can we ever expect to have it paid when our government is not exactly on the up and up with the finances? And that is not even bringing in the problems with the global markets that can influence these actions.

I don't think I've seen one post supporting the NDP's National Child Care program...

Open your eyes.

Day Care is a Provincial responsibility - yet not one province has chosen to introduce a similar program. Not one. A reasonable question might be.......why not?

Except for the province that did. :rolleyes:

It is our money, but funny how everyone wants him to spend it on the debt. To bad chretien did not spend more on the debt ,instead on million dollar fountains.

Too bad Harper spent $2M on a fake lake, and millions on gazebos, fiddlers and a sidewalk to nowhere all for a billion dollar meeting.

Edited by Mighty AC

I believe it should first be spent to pay down the debt, and then across the board tax cuts. I disagree with those who believe tax cuts only benefit the rich, they benefit the middle class as well, and certain tax cuts benefit the poor. The major tax cuts that benefit the poor are municipal tax cuts in regards to property taxes, and tax cuts on anything consumer related, especially sales tax. Tax cuts that benefit the middle class would be income tax cuts, allowing those building capital to keep a higher percentage of what they make. Tax cuts that benefit everyone is business tax cuts, benefits the rich creating a more business friendly environment, and it benefits the middle class via job creation in a business friendly environment, and lastly it benefits the poor because business don't pass the tax down onto the consumer via inflated prices.

Except for the province that did. :rolleyes:

A program which is not only incredibly costly for a broke and financially incompetent province, but ineffective at raising unemployment above the Canadian average. In fact it remains a full point below.

Why exactly would we want to emulate that nationally?

Edited by hitops

How does a country pay down the national debt? What is the process?

Lets say the Harper government declares that there is a $400 billion and surplus and that is going to pay off part of the national debt.

What is the process?

Where is the money coming from?

Who decides who gets how much?

How is that money transferred to those getting it?

I doubt if somebody goes to the bank and transfers a bunch of money from one account to another. I am hoping that someone who understands the process will explain it in terms that a lay person would understand.

How does a country pay down the national debt? What is the process?

Lets say the Harper government declares that there is a $400 billion and surplus and that is going to pay off part of the national debt.

What is the process?

Where is the money coming from?

Who decides who gets how much?

How is that money transferred to those getting it?

I doubt if somebody goes to the bank and transfers a bunch of money from one account to another. I am hoping that someone who understands the process will explain it in terms that a lay person would understand.

Interact e-transfer.

The Chretien government did more to address national debt than any other party EVER has since the 60's. Not just in Canada but in the entire western world.

A program which is not only incredibly costly for a broke and financially incompetent province, but ineffective at raising unemployment above the Canadian average. In fact it remains a full point below.

Why exactly would we want to emulate that nationally?

Are the rich not entitled to subsidized daycare? We already subsidize the poor's daycare, so we should end the up to $2000 a year subsidy from income splitting and replace it for $5k-$10K daycare subsidy. It would be more fair to the rich.

That and it will help reduce the amount of parents who want to raise there own children, and keep relatives involvement down. Hopefully, it will be the finally stop home daycare's. If Wynne's policies doesn't finish it off first.

Edited by DFCaper

Are the rich not entitled to subsidized daycare? We already subsidize the poor's daycare, so we should end the up to $2000 a year subsidy from income splitting and replace it for $5k-$10K daycare subsidy. It would be more fair to the rich.

That and it will help reduce the amount of parents who want to raise there own children, and keep relatives involvement down. Hopefully, it will be the finally stop home daycare's. If Wynne's policies doesn't finish it off first.

No didn't you hear? The rich are evil, they all meet together to plan how to make life hard for anyone less rich than them. It's a weekly conference call.

Having kids is your choice. If you choose to have them, please think beyond the next American Idol commercial and plan out how you might afford them.