US Reporter Notes "CBC did their jobs with dignity and respect&#34

cybercoma

The obvious point is that networks receiving more than 1$ billion in government subsidies do not have to hustle and compete for audience share compared to those that do not receive such large gifts from taxpayers. Duh !

Yes but the obvious trade off is that we get news that isn't slanted by and towards the interests of a media military industrial complex (i.e. NBC/General Electric) that hype the government's reasons for war with it's media divisions while lobbying politicians to supply that war with arms and contractors with other divisions.

If what you're badly pretending not to imply were actually the case, Peter Mansbridge would not be receiving accolades for impartiality he would be getting lambasted for being a spokesperson for the private interests that own him and the things that would benefit from controlling the content he delivers.

...Yes but the obvious trade off is that we get news that isn't slanted by and towards the interests of a media military industrial complex (i.e. NBC/General Electric) that hype the government's reasons for war with it's media divisions while lobbying politicians to supply that war with arms and contractors with other divisions.

Sure...far better to hype with the bias of "social justice", "gun control", "abortion rights", and "good government".

If what you're badly pretending not to imply were actually the case, Peter Mansbridge would not be receiving accolades for impartiality he would be getting lambasted for being a spokesperson for the private interests that own him and the things that would benefit from controlling the content he delivers.

We had a Peter....the late Peter Jennings. He was from Canada, but made his mark in American military industrial complex sponsored infotainment news. I guess that's why he was inducted into the Order of Canada too.

We had a Peter....the late Peter Jennings. He was from Canada, but made his mark in American military industrial complex sponsored infotainment news.

what's wrong... wasn't there a capable American born journalist to anchor ABC News for all those years? But really, is that the best you can do to attempt to rationalize American style infotainment? :lol:

No. It has no impact on my life whatsoever.

You don't think the way news is presented affects the way people interpret and understand the situations that they're presenting?

Compare yesterday's events to the tragedy in Moncton, where 3 RCMP officers were murdered and another 2 seriously injured. Yesterday, one person was killed by a gunman before he himself was gunned down by police.

Yesterday's news stories are extreme sensationalism given the circumstances. Headlines include phrases like "Terror on the Hill" (NP) and "Under Siege" (G&M). When you look at the coverage of what for all intents and purposes was a much greater tragedy in Moncton, the headlines read "Shooting Leaves City in Lockdown" (NP) and "A City Mourns Three Fallen Policemen" (G&M).

The headlines paint very different pictures of the situations. A stand off where 3 mounties are shot dead in the street and the killer is on the loose for hours and hours, gets barely a nod. Meanwhile, one person is shot in the streets of Ottawa and suddenly the nation's capital is "under siege" and we're supposed to be terrorized by the event.

Hell, someone broke into 24 Sussex Dr with the intent to assassinate Jean Chrétien and the biggest part of the news story was that it took the RCMP 7 minutes to respond. Nothing about terror or under siege or any of the other sensationalist nonsense that's accompanying yesterday's events.

They are creating drama for entertainment purposes. The way they create drama creates the perspective people will take away from the events. I'm not terrorized by a single gunman shooting someone, who was essentially a security guard posted to stop vandals, before being gunned down by police himself any more than I was terrorized by Justin Bourque being on the loose for hours after murdering three RCMP officers and injuring two more, in a residential neighbourhood no less.

But the point is that the media presented the two events in very different ways and the ways they present affect how people perceive them.

I notice yesterday when the RCMP had their news conference, they were saying that some statements out there were not true and some of them came from the US news source , which got them from US intel. agencies trading info with Canada. So I'm wonder are were being told everything or is the US putting out untruths, and why would they??

I notice yesterday when the RCMP had their news conference, they were saying that some statements out there were not true and some of them came from the US news source , which got them from US intel. agencies trading info with Canada. So I'm wonder are were being told everything or is the US putting out untruths, and why would they??

A hint ...

SATIRE ALERT!

CNN disappointed with Canadians lack of panic

http://www.thebeaverton.com/CNN-disappointed-with-Canadians-lack-of-panic.htm

Edited by jacee

I also don't understand the point of comparing and contrasting media based on one particular story. Why this, and not any others of the past? Also, let's not forget, this is the same media institution that was passing on its questions to Liberals in parliament for them to use for political reasons.

I also don't understand the point of comparing and contrasting media based on one particular story. Why this, and not any others of the past? Also, let's not forget, this is the same media institution that was passing on its questions to Liberals in parliament for them to use for political reasons.

I don't see how any of that is relevant to the discussion.

You don't think the way news is presented affects the way people interpret and understand the situations that they're presenting?

Yes, it can. But you singled out the US media, and I don't watch much US TV so it does not affect me. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

I do follow US print/Internet media more, and don't see much difference other than what you'd expect- each country presents from their national perspective.

Oh my...this just in....newspapers are dead too. What will we do ?

We say our last goodbyes to older media as they go to sleep forever, or change back into something more recognizable long ago (ie. newspapers of just a few pages, radio stations that are effectively 100% advertising)

Then we create new media channels, little by little. This show now has about 15K listeners, and didn't exist a year ago:

http://canadalandshow.com/