Stephen Harper taking away door to door postal service

Argus

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't need a well paid person delivering spam to me 5 days a week. My biggest concern would be my community mailbox overflowing because I forget to empty it out for a few days.

This doesn't address that. You'll still have a well-paid person delivering spam to you 5 days a week.

This doesn't address that. You'll still have a well-paid person delivering spam to you 5 days a week.

You're right, I wish they'd do it 3 days a week. It's not that oppose getting spam, some of the flyers/coupons I do find useful. But having people deliver to a Community box would greatly reduce costs which means Canada Post won't end up becoming a drain on the public purse.

This doesn't address the spam.

No, it doesn't. That's not the point. It weakens a service that almost never delivers anything useful. Therefore, I don't care if the service is weakened. If the service was useful, I might care about it being weakened. Since it is not useful, I do not. Clear enough?

So the union is really joining up with a lawsuit from old and disabled people. Apparently going to a community mailbox is a liability? What if you live in an apartment building? You'd have to go to the lobby to get your mail.

If a person lives in a single family home that used to get mail delivered to their door they must have some means to have someone pick up their mail. They would have to have someone to help them with the upkeep of the house, so why can't they also pick up their mail?

It sounds so desperate.

Edited by Boges

You're right, I wish they'd do it 3 days a week. It's not that oppose getting spam, some of the flyers/coupons I do find useful. But having people deliver to a Community box would greatly reduce costs which means Canada Post won't end up becoming a drain on the public purse.

But Canada Post is profitable without these changes.

According to this and others two-thirds of Canadian households already do not receive mail delivery at their door, and the decision to discontinue the remainder was "difficult."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-post-court-challenge-launched-to-save-home-mail-delivery-1.2800697

Yer cite don't work.

According to this they are losing billions and restructuring the retiree health benefit plan won't help.

They are losing billions because of the requirement to pre-fund all of their employees benefits for 75 years and do it quickly, as per my cite. Restructuring this requirement would only provide temporary help. Note that if the federal government required itself to do the same thing it would have enter bankruptcy immediately. It simply could not do it.

Edited by Argus

I don't get door to door delivery, and you don't need it either. I favour a post office that we don't have to subsidize.

A post office we didn't subsidize would provide service to the cities and larger towns. Period. Anyone living outside core areas would be required to pay a fortune. That means, as an example, no mail for the territories or for farmers. That is what'd happen without a national postal carrier, you know. Anyone living in a small village or on a rural route would pretty much do without.

A post office we didn't subsidize would provide service to the cities and larger towns. Period. Anyone living outside core areas would be required to pay a fortune. That means, as an example, no mail for the territories or for farmers. That is what'd happen without a national postal carrier, you know. Anyone living in a small village or on a rural route would pretty much do without.

The corporation no longer makes a profit. That's what im talking about. It should at least break even, and not be a drain on federal finances.

I would like to share anecdotal perceptions as to the practicality;

I live in a rural hamlet of Southern Ontario and have been informed that our direct service will soon come to an end. My first reaction was one of negativity because of the perceived inconvenience and just that there would be a change which I was not consulted about.

The majority of home owners are elderly and our street does not have a sidewalk. There have been concerns as to the criteria used in placement of the boxes and the distance different individuals will have to go to get their mail.

In anticipation, I investigated a nearby development which did have one of those box systems. I sought out the homeowners adjacent to the boxes as to their problems. I was told that originally there was a problem with people throwing discards to litter the area but the home owners are part of the community, not that numerous, and a recycling box (now on part of the recyclers route) had resolved that problem.

The area has now become the base of posters of announcements of events within the community.

There has been an asset in that the “box” also has a section where one can insert letters that you want to mail. In the past, people had to travel over 300 yards to the local postal box to mail a letter.

The new process in that area has caused the community to become closer since there are now some home owners who have been given access to and empty and deliver mail to those who have difficulty. This process has proven not only to strengthen the idea of a community interaction but has saved the life of an elderly person who was in distress but was saved when their “postal pick-up guy” came over to bring the mail and found the person in distress.

Personally, my first reaction was against the process, but with the federal savings and the benefits of switching to this system I am now a proponent.

I've been using a post box for nearly 40 years now and I requested an end to the spam at least 30 years ago. About the only thing that gets through the mail room is the odd Canada Action Plan or politician's pamphlet but the recycling bin is right there so...

Can you folks really not see how some people might be a little pissed off about this?

That's a seperate issue. Yes, I can imagine that some people will be more than a little pissed off. But it doesn't mean it isn't the right thing to do. The same way some people might be pissed that there are no more SIN cards anymore. Or that Canada Revenue has closed it's doors to the public.

No, it's just the typical pretty dumb answer to a pretty dumb question from the usual suspects. Rednecks are so funny!

So no answer, just an ad hominem attack. Good job.

Point is if you live in a single family dwelling you already have the means to either drive to a community box or have someone get the mail for you. If one can go grocery shopping they can go to a community box.

Edited by Boges

"Federal food delivery service"? You and Shady have at it.

As far as I know that service doesn't exist for free to anyone of a certain age.

As for important cheques. Would these people not be the ones who might resist online banking and make the trip to the bank anyway?

They can go to the bank but not a community box?

Edited by Boges

I believe as we progress as a society and technology continues to evolve exponentially that assumed “rights” become “privileges” and “privileges” become “rights”.

Door to door postal service follows that pattern.

Door to door postal service is a right? Huh?