Stephen Harper taking away door to door postal service

Argus

Just in case you were thinking otherwise, Mister Harper, I don't blame Canada Post for taking away door to door postal service.

I blame YOU.

The United States can afford door to door delivery. So can the UK, Australia, and every other country I'm aware of.

Is Canada on the edge of bankruptcy? No, we have a budget surplus, one you're only just beginning to crow about. Yet you have to remove a basic service Canadians have taken for granted for the last hundred years?

Not Canada Post, you, Stephen Harper. It's YOUR government, and not an importance decision gets made that you don't approve or disapprove. So you're wearing this. And every time someone has to make their way down the street in the freezing rain they'll think of you and your party and who else they might want to vote for come the next election.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the United States:

The U.S. Postal Service is marching towards a more "centralized delivery," where residents pick up their own mail from clusters of mail boxes located in their neighborhood. Local postmasters are sending hundreds of letters to fast-growing communities, warning that cluster boxes will be the way mail will be delivered to new developments.

Who still gets mail? Do we really need a Federal force of unionized workers to receive flyers from Safeway brought to our doorsteps?

In other words, an out-of-touch union is suing the government so the minority 30% of Canadians who have door-to-door mail delivery can keep it

Five million addresses currently get door to door delivery. I would submit to you that is a hell of a lot more than 30%.

No the United States can't afford it. The us postal service is tens of billions in deficit. Where do you get your information from? Similarly, the UK has been I fiscal crisis for several years. They can't afford it either.

The reason the US Postal service is losing money is because of the Postal Accountability Act passed by congress in 2006 which required the postal service to 'pre-fund' all its retirees for the next 75 years, and to do it within ten years of the passage of the act. It was an artificial requirement that was designed to make the postal service lose money.

Likewise, the Canadian government has been cutting funding to Canada Post and making it more and more difficult for them to make money.

Why? Because both governments want to phase out door to door service so the private sector can take over. Unsurprisingly, the private delivery firms have put a lot of time and money into lobbying politicians.

Canada Post is going to court so unionized people can deliver flyers to my house? Zero Cares.

Europe has largely privatized their postal service, would the union be cool with that?

I know you are absolutely obsessed with unions and getting rid of them so everyone can work for minimum wage (or preferably much less), but this has nothing to do with the union. I don't care who delivers the mail as long as it's done efficiently - and door to door.

Edited by Argus

The reason the US Postal service is losing money is because of the Postal Accountability Act passed by congress in 2006 which required the postal service to 'pre-fund' all its retirees for the next 75 years, and to do it within ten years of the passage of the act. It was an artificial requirement that was designed to make the postal service lose money.

Likewise, the Canadian government has been cutting funding to Canada Post and making it more and more difficult for them to make money.

Why? Because both governments want to phase out door to door service so the private sector can take over. Unsurprisingly, the private delivery firms have put a lot of time and money into lobbying politicians.

Good. A postal service shouldn't be the priority of a government anymore. The law gives Canada Post a monopoly on certain aspects of delivering parcels, they shouldn't have this anymore.

I know you are absolutely obsessed with unions and getting rid of them so everyone can work for minimum wage (or preferably much less), but this has nothing to do with the union. I don't care who delivers the mail as long as it's done efficiently - and door to door.

Do UPS and FedEx employees make minimum wage?

No, it's losing money because mail volume has dropped significantly.

No, it's losing money because mail volume has dropped significantly.

No, it's not. They'd actually be profitable were it not for that act. Look it up for once in your life.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/09/28/330524/postal-non-crisis-post-office-save-itself/

As for Canada Post, it's made money almost every year since it was turned into a corporation.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/canada-posts-vow-to-protect-taxpayers-needs-a-reality-check/article15981676/#dashboard/follows/

Edited by Argus

They're not even close to profitable. You're just spouting union talking points and accepting them as fact.

No, I used this 'google' thing and read up on it. Maybe you should do the same before spouting.

Oh good, your links will be handy.

Ill get a cup o'joe and be right back to read those. Wont take but 5 minutes.

Thanks in advance.

I put in a couple of links which you apparently were too lazy to notice. Maybe you should move your ass back to the last page and read them.

According to this and others two-thirds of Canadian households already do not receive mail delivery at their door, and the decision to discontinue the remainder was "difficult."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-post-court-challenge-launched-to-save-home-mail-delivery-1.2800697

According to this they are losing billions and restructuring the retiree health beneft plan won't help. http://time.com/93971/postal-service-loses-almost-2-billion/

Some comments in recent news reports suggest that all we need from Congress is help with restructuring our retiree health benefit plan,” Chief Financial Officer and Executive Vice President Joseph Corbett said Friday,

Edited by scribblet

Just in case you were thinking otherwise, Mister Harper, I don't blame Canada Post for taking away door to door postal service.

I blame YOU.

The United States can afford door to door delivery. So can the UK, Australia, and every other country I'm aware of.

I don't get door to door delivery, and you don't need it either. I favour a post office that we don't have to subsidize.

The post man will go the way of the milk man and ice man. There's no reason for daily door-door services. 99.9% of all mail I get is spam. The sooner it dies the better.

Yeah maybe some people will be pissed off or slightly inconvenienced. They'll adapt or shut up eventually anyway. Big whoop.

Canada Post is going to court so unionized people can deliver flyers to my house? Zero Cares.

Europe has largely privatized their postal service, would the union be cool with that?

The unions killed the golden goose years ago. I remember the series of strikes, violence in Montreal and the unpopularity of the strikers. These strikes were the biggest boost to the use of computers, of e-mail and of private parcel delivery services.

When business could no longer count on delivery by Canada Post it went to other processes.

For that reason I have no sympathy for those postal workers who are losing their jobs.

“The annual cost of door-to-door delivery to a single address is $269, making it the most expensive of all delivery methods. It costs $117 for delivery to a community mailbox and eliminating door delivery will, Canada Post says, save $400 million to $500 million per year.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Canadians+will+stamp+mail+delivered+their+door+with+video/9273639/story.html

I believe that it is just another example of new technologies and what can happen when a union is allowed too much power.

The post man will go the way of the milk man and ice man. There's no reason for daily door-door services. 99.9% of all mail I get is spam. The sooner it dies the better.

Yeah maybe some people will be pissed off or slightly inconvenienced. They'll adapt or shut up eventually anyway. Big whoop.

This doesn't address the spam.