Postmedia buying SUN Newspapers

http://www.thestar.com/business/2014/10/06/postmedia_buys_175paper_sun_media_for_316m.html

Newspaper publisher Postmedia is buying Sun Media’s 175 English-language newspapers for $316 million in cash, Postmedia announced Monday.

The purchase includes the Toronto Sun, as well as the Sun dailies in Ottawa, Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton, the free 24 Hours daily newspapers in Toronto and Vancouver and the London Free Press.

Make way for the Sun-Post ? The Postshine Girl ?

This strikes me as unlikely to postpone the inevitable decline of newspapers into a money-losing hobby for weathy persons and groups.

although Peladeau is gone, as former President of Quebecor, I expect his relatively recent response to the "rumor buzz about Quebecor selling off Sun newspapers", is quite telling: along the (paraphrased) lines of his, "it makes sense... newspapers are a dying business".

This is horrible news. Now one company owns both the major conservative Canadian media outlets. And in some cities, Postmedia will own all the major daily newspapers for that city, ie: Ottawa (Ottawa Citizen = Postmedia, Ottawa Sun = formerly Sun Media/Quebecor now also Postmedia).

If I had a say I wouldn't let this sale go through, under the Competition Act.

This is horrible news. Now one company owns both the major conservative Canadian media outlets.

Postmedia has never been even remotely conservative. You're thinking of how the Post used to be a couple of owners ago. For the past several years, they've been stridently anti-conservative.

What makes it "horrible news" (if it is), is that now the only media outlet in the country that didn't have an overt left-wing bias has been swallowed up by one that does.

This is horrible news. Now one company owns both the major conservative Canadian media outlets. And in some cities, Postmedia will own all the major daily newspapers for that city, ie: Ottawa (Ottawa Citizen = Postmedia, Ottawa Sun = formerly Sun Media/Quebecor now also Postmedia).

If I had a say I wouldn't let this sale go through, under the Competition Act.

Let me tell you about New Brunswick's newspapers and a family by the name of The Irvings......

Postmedia has never been even remotely conservative.

Oh they're conservative all right. They're just not the right wing extremist version of conservatism that some people prefer. You know who I'm talking about, right? The folks that think everyone has their own opinion, so everyone should be entitled to their own facts too.

This makes Canada a single newspaper country.

I do hope that this acquisition is reviewed as to anti-monopoly legislation. The news industry needs competition to force some sense of objectivity.

Perhaps this whole thing is a dead issue with newspapers continuing to lose public support and eventually disappear as a viable information medium.

This makes Canada a single newspaper country.

I do hope that this acquisition is reviewed as to anti-monopoly legislation. The news industry needs competition to force some sense of objectivity.

Perhaps this whole thing is a dead issue with newspapers continuing to lose public support and eventually disappear as a viable information medium.

I can't see it being blocked as Newspapers are all losing money. At least it's a merger of the right.

I am most concerned that it will again reduce the amount of news gathering. Living in a smaller community, it is almost impossible to find any information to use to make a decision on who to vote for in the municipal elections... There isn't much news left in Ontario that is not Toronto local news...

I can't see it being blocked as Newspapers are all losing money. At least it's a merger of the right.

I

I happen to agree, and if they try... by the time they look into it,most of the Sun dailies will have been scuttled, if not outright then to the walls with no one left.

I dont know if it was a joke, but I read this morning that the Sun has 4 full time reporters left on staff, (excl the sports dept)

The lack of local coverage outside the city is abyssmal. I have been very vocal to Metroland since they took over my cottage newspaper (Huntsville), lambasting them on their website about how bad they have done everything they have touched.

No matter, never heard from them ever.

You don't read the National Post then?

I do regularly, but clearly you haven't recently. We are talking about the home of McGregor and Maher the primary "source" for the most overtly anti-conservative reporting in the MSM. Their "news" is more biased than most left-wing op-eds.

and what of SNN not being included in the Postmedia purchase deal?

well... a National Post columnist calls it a "liberated" moment for SNN. The colunmist states, "the whole idea of Sun News is that it speaks truths the lily-livers in the Media Party won’t touch with a barge pole, and stands by those truths. Frankly, the network has suffered for its association with proper, mainstream print journalists"... presuming to include, David Akin, Ezra Levant, Brian Lilley and Michael Coren as a part of that "proper print journalists collective" given their prior cross-over from SNN to writing for Sun newspapers.

although the NP columnist speaks to the uncertainty on whether Quebecor will choose to keep SNN alive, he builds on that liberated opportunity theme by offering Quebecor advice on how to bring some of its "very interesting francophone personalities" to the rest of Canada through SNN... including the likes of "Mathieu Bock-Côté",where he asks, "Why should SNN viewers be denied the anti-Trudeau, anti-multiculturalist venom (of Mathieu Bock-Côté) when something outrageous happens"... all building the NP columnist towards his summation: "Not only can Sun News potentially survive. Perhaps it can even build a more united nation!" :lol: