Canada To Launch Airstrikes Against ISIL

What do you guys think of, instead of airstrikes, humanitarian aid and perhaps support for the Kurds in terms of special forces, logistics, supplies, etc? I am largely non-interventionist but since the west actually caused this blowback in the first place, maybe we should try to help the Kurds at least. I'm not sure really, but I know that airstrikes are probably the worst thing that we can do, bar full on ground offensive.

You can't give humanitarian aid in a war zone. America will need to fight another ground war in Iraq. And Canada should stay out of it.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't give humanitarian aid in a war zone. America will need to fight another ground war in Iraq. And Canada should stay out of it.

But we can give humanitarian aid in neighboring regions such as in Israel, Jordan, Iran, Turkey, etc. and support the Kurds. Such a role would be much preferable to airstrikes.

Perhaps I missed it - but we had a debate yesterday - one that was clamoured for by the opposition......and Mr. Trudeau didn't even rise to speak? Did I miss it?

no - he had a single question and allowed Garneau to take the lead... how about your boy Harper who didn't even show up!

So you think Canadians shouldn't know if their government is willing to enter a ground war? Speaking of stupid....

Big difference between entering a war to giving up plans, speaking of stupid......

the stated Liberal position doesn't exclude military involvement... like strategic airlift, training, or medical support... the distinction being combat.

Why? What is it about combat which scares you so much, Waldo? It's not like your life would be in any danger. For that matter, it's not like a half dozen planes flying thousands of feet up are in any danger either.

Yah Harper said "there is a clear and present danger" with "Let myself be perfectly clear, " and he's full of shit.

The danger to Canada is in the spread of the influence of this group among Canadian Muslims.

So the majority of Canadians from one poll are always right? And political parties should govern according to polls?

Conservatives used to actually stand for something... now they govern according to polling information.

You act as if solidarity with our allies in the face of threats is something Conservatives and conservatives have not always stood behind.

The danger to Canada is in the spread of the influence of this group among Canadian Muslims.

Is that the danger? Any more so than the Justin Bourques or the James Roszkos out there? Do you really think dropping bombs in Iraq or even Syria for that matter is going to put an end to home-grown terrorism? I'm skeptical.

Is that the danger? Any more so than the Justin Bourques or the James Roszkos out there? Do you really think dropping bombs in Iraq or even Syria for that matter is going to put an end to home-grown terrorism? I'm skeptical.

All these fanatic groups seem to do their best to influence young people throughout the Muslim world, and succeed, to some extent. The Muslim world is dedicated to proselytizing and preaching, to influencing others to their way of God. It is not in our interests to have such a group prosper and spread. It is not in the interests of the middle east nor of the world at large.

Tell me you don't support Canada's hate crimes laws. I know you do. Yet you don't seem to feel the need to do anything about the spread of the most virulent and murderous kind of hate in the world?

It is what we do, I know the left has been scrambling trying to find something for us to skip our responsibilities in this world. You know and I know if trudeau was PM and did this you all would be behind it. It now time for all canadians to put away the partisan crap and back this government.

All these fanatic groups seem to do their best to influence young people throughout the Muslim world, and succeed, to some extent. The Muslim world is dedicated to proselytizing and preaching, to influencing others to their way of God. It is not in our interests to have such a group prosper and spread. It is not in the interests of the middle east nor of the world at large.

Tell me you don't support Canada's hate crimes laws. I know you do. Yet you don't seem to feel the need to do anything about the spread of the most virulent and murderous kind of hate in the world?

The problem is that there is no "Muslim World" that you speak of. But I don't expect any amount of explaining to make that sink in with you. You want to talk about specific issues and problems, let's do it. But I will not sit here and attribute the actions of authoritarian radicals to 1.6 Billion people like you do. I won't compare Saudi Arabia, who won't even let women drive, to nations like Indonesia and Turkey, who has had female leaders. Your bogey man Muslim World does not exist and it has so far been impossible to make you see that, fact be damned.

The problem is that there is no "Muslim World" that you speak of. But I don't expect any amount of explaining to make that sink in with you. You want to talk about specific issues and problems, let's do it. But I will not sit here and attribute the actions of authoritarian radicals to 1.6 Billion people like you do. I won't compare Saudi Arabia, who won't even let women drive, to nations like Indonesia and Turkey, who has had female leaders. Your bogey man Muslim World does not exist and it has so far been impossible to make you see that, fact be damned.

http://www.pewforum.org/files/2013/04/worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-full-report.pdf

Why? What is it about combat which scares you so much, Waldo? It's not like your life would be in any danger. For that matter, it's not like a half dozen planes flying thousands of feet up are in any danger either.

Tell that to the dead passengers of MH17 and several other military craft that were shot down over Ukraine.

Several pages and no one has managed to address my questions.

I shall repeat.

1 - What are the national interests in the region?

2 - What are the direct threats to this nation from ISIS?

i'll take a stab...

1 - none

2 - none

What do you think about Canada's possible contribution to military strike missions in Iraq and Syria? Are they legal ?

Will they be effective ? Seems like old times....bombing stuff with CF-188's....UN resolution or not !

Harper/Canada is more than happy to jump as high the US asks!

Seems like last year when Russia said enough is enough with the US involvement with the Arab spring, Obama went running home with his tail between his legs after Putin said he would launch air strikes against Saudi.

Fast forward six months, then Crimea is now part of the old USSR with possible further annexation of more of the Ukrane.

Fast forward another six months, now the US/NATO has no Russian blockade to fighting this brand spanking new enemy where they always wanted to go!

Surprise surprise folks!

Nothing to see here people, move along.

WWWTT

Not a surprise that the motion passed, but thought this interesting:

Green Party MP Bruce Hyer and Brent Rathgeber, an Independent who used to sit with the Conservatives, voted with the government.

Good on former NDP MP Hyer voting with his conscience a second time......

Liberal MP Irwin Cotler abstained from the vote. The longtime MP released a statement explaining that he feels the government motion is unclear on Canada's involvement and did not share enough information for MPs to make an informed choice.

I'm not surprised here, other than not more Liberal MPs joining him...........

It would be interesting to see the Liberals and NDPs response if Turkey is attacked and pull the article 5 card.........I wonder if either/or the Liberals and NDP would support honoring our NATO commitments?

Edited by Derek 2.0