Ferguson unrest

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you see him doing on video? Honestly, there is no credible evidence of him robbing a store. The only evidence we have is that this 18 year old kid was walking down the middle of the street, disrupting traffic. He was a typical teenager behaving cocky and he was shot dead for it.

I see him using his size to grab the small store clerk and shove him away when the man tried to stop him, then stalk menacingly towards him until the guy backed away before turning and leaving with the stolen merchandise. So to me, he's a scumbag.

Now does that mean the shooting was legally and morally valid? No. However, it ought to change the consideration given to the cop's story. We now know Brown WAS, in fact, a criminal, and having just robbed a place, had a very good reason to not want to identify himself to a cop for jaywalking or whatever. We also know he didn't mind using his size to get his way. And we know at least one of the so-called witnesses claiming he did nothing was his accomplice.

It makes the cops story considerably more credible, though again, we don't know for sure one way or the other.

I have no sympathy for cops who abuse their authority and have said so many, many times here in the past. But I don't know that to be the case here. How big was the cop compared to the 6 foot four inch, 294 pound individual he shot? That could be a factor too, in whether the cop felt endangered enough to shoot. Forensics will also tell us how close they were when Brown was shot, as well as angles etc.

I think people need to step back and wait for the evidence to be fully developed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5ga8xM8W4M

The officer did not know this kid was a suspect at the time he shot him dead. He was walking down the middle of the street, he surrendered, unarmed. If he did steal a $50 box of cigars, there was no justification for his death.

The officer did not know this kid was a suspect at the time he shot him dead. He was walking down the middle of the street, he surrendered, unarmed. If he did steal a $50 box of cigars, there was no justification for his death.

Did he surrender unarmed? Who says? His accomplice? How did the cop get hurt?

And you can say unequivocally that the black guy in the video is the dead man? No you can't. And if it is, the timeline would indicate the cop wouldn't have known the guy he shot was a suspect. And most importantly why should stealing a box of cigars get you killed?

The original narrative was that a nice young teenager with no criminal record was walking along when the evil cop stopped him for no real reason and shot him ... for no real reason.

Now, while I'm perfectly prepared to admit that cops sometimes overreact that sounded rather... odd on the surface.

We now know Brown was a very large thug who had recently committed a robbery. Given that, it's not hard to imagine how the interaction between the two became violent. I've seen a lot of cop-cams and security-cams where some guy who was a criminal, but who wasn't known to be one by the cop, suddenly got violent in hopes of surprising the cop, trying to overpower him so they could get away. We don't know that happened here, but we don't know it didn't. It was unlikely the cop just shot him for fun.

Btw, no one appears to be denying that was Brown in the video. And he had the cigars on him when he was killed.

Do some research.

That is what the FBI is doing now. I'm content to say he was a thug who got involved in a violent confrontation with police right after a robbery. I don't think that would have happened if he was a law abiding man, and I will thus reserve my sympathy for someone else.

Edited by Argus

I believe that Shady enjoys Bill Maher. Here are some quotes Shady might like:

"I think it's a very creative way to point out that racism has really kind of gone underground in this country," Maher said. The comedian then said he believed that whenever whites "see a black guy they don't like: thug." "Because it's socially unacceptable now--unlike when it once was--to say the 'N-word,'" he said. "So that's sort of the word that they use instead."

TNT analyst and NBA Hall of Famer Charles Barkley said "thug" was a "racial slur" that was equivalent to the "N-word."

"Some people don't have the courage to say the 'N-word' so they use terms like 'thug' and 'street cred,'" Barkely said. "But that's what they really mean."

The original narrative was that a nice young teenager with no criminal record was walking along when the evil cop stopped him for no real reason and shot him ... for no real reason.

Now, while I'm perfectly prepared to admit that cops sometimes overreact that sounded rather... odd on the surface.

We now know Brown was a very large thug who had recently committed a robbery. Given that, it's not hard to imagine how the interaction between the two became violent. I've seen a lot of cop-cams and security-cams where some guy who was a criminal, but who wasn't known to be one by the cop, suddenly got violent in hopes of surprising the cop, trying to overpower him so they could get away. We don't know that happened here, but we don't know it didn't. It was unlikely the cop just shot him for fun.

Btw, no one appears to be denying that was Brown in the video. And he had the cigars on him when he was killed.

The latest has it that it has been confirmed it was Brown on the video, but also confirmed that the cop, Wilson, would not have known at the time that Brown was a suspect. Wilson's story of the altercation differs greatly from eyewitness accounts. We do know an unarmed teenager is dead and it certainly seems there was a lot of tension between the predominantly white police force and the predominantly black populace. And when they took away the riot gear and the MRAP's and assault rifles things calmed down signifigantly. I reckon there are more than one lessons here.

I've seen both you AND scribblet throw out this silly phrase "strong arm [sic] robbery." So what blogger gave you guys your silly talking point? Who says "strong arm" robbery anyway?

The police use that term and it's been used numerous time on CNN live, nothing to do with a blogger.

TNT analyst and NBA Hall of Famer Charles Barkley said "thug" was a "racial slur" that was equivalent to the "N-word."

"Some people don't have the courage to say the 'N-word' so they use terms like 'thug' and 'street cred,'" Barkely said. "But that's what they really mean."

Bullshit. Did you watch the video? A thug is an apt description for a big, strong man who grabs a store clerk by the scruff of the neck and shoves him back while stealing merchandise.

And while we're at it, let's revisit the 'jaywalking' thing. From what I've read, Brown and his buddy weren't confronted for crossing the street, but for walking down the middle of it deliberately blocking traffic. Now why would anyone do that? I'll tell you why. Because he was a big, tough guy strutting his stuff and intimidating drivers, waiting and hoping someone would tell him to get the F out of the road so he could turn on them like the bully and thug he was.

The latest has it that it has been confirmed it was Brown on the video, but also confirmed that the cop, Wilson, would not have known at the time that Brown was a suspect. Wilson's story of the altercation differs greatly from eyewitness accounts.

The eyewitness accounts of the guys who were with him when he robbed the store? Big surprise!

In any event, we've seen these kinds of eyewitness accounts in these types of cases many times in the past where it turned out the 'eyewitnesses' weren't even on the same block at the time, or that they were simply lying through their teeth because they hate cops, especially white cops.

We do know an unarmed teenager is dead

When you're six foot four and weight three hundred pounds I think the 'unarmed' narrative should be dropped.

and it certainly seems there was a lot of tension between the predominantly white police force and the predominantly black populace. And when they took away the riot gear and the MRAP's and assault rifles things calmed down signifigantly. I reckon there are more than one lessons here.

There's tension between cops and poor minority communities in every city in the US. And there was still looting and rock throwing last night.

Argus is right about one thing. It is all about the narrative. Compare the media's handling of the theater massacre vs their handling of this thug robber that apparently deserved to be shot.

BuzgygBIMAERHPv.jpg

Don't get your point. The media portrayed the shooter as a straight A weirdo and Brown as a big punk thug.

Both were correct.

Yeah. White people are weirdos who get the benefit of the doubt, black kids are thugs with innate propensity for criminality. That's the narrative. Walk into a theatre and slaughter a bunch of innocent people....you're a weirdo. Shove a store clerk and you're a thug that should be shot by police because you have no redeeming value.

Yeah. White people are weirdos who get the benefit of the doubt,

Sorry? What 'benefit of a doubt' did the crazy white shooter in the clown hair get?

black kids are thugs with innate propensity for criminality.

Black 'kids' who are 6'4" 300lbs who rob stores and grab little clerks by the throat and saunter down the middle of roads daring anyone to honk at them? Yeah, they're thugs.

And btw, I haven't said I know whether this was a justified shooting. I don't think anyone has. I've merely said that the fact the individual concerned was a thug certainly lends credence to the cop's story.

Edited by Argus

It's pretty stark the contrast. Mass murderer is a weirdo, portrayed as a fallen genius. Unarmed kid involved in a petty theft is a thug,which lends credence to the cop who murdered an unarmed person. It's pretty obvious who gets the benefit if the doubt from the media and a lot if right-wing commenters' perspectives.

It's pretty stark the contrast. Mass murderer is a weirdo, portrayed as a fallen genius. Unarmed kid involved in a petty theft is a thug,which lends credence to the cop who murdered an unarmed person. It's pretty obvious who gets the benefit if the doubt from the media and a lot if right-wing commenters' perspectives.

Irony...

'the cop who murdered...'

Benefit of a doubt, eh?

The mass murderer in question was portrayed as a lunatic from the start, which he was. The 'unarmed person' was portrayed as a thug, which he was.

Where is the problem here?

Edited by Argus