Security and privacy of Canadians

Do you think the Feds are going to far dealing with Canadians privacy and security? now, they are going to share information to foreign countries and probably the USA will be the #1 on the list. Good or bad? http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-eyes-new-powers-to-share-personal-information/article19582668/

Don't give a damn. Anyone with enough technical knowledge can find out just about anything they want to on the internet anyway, and can hack your home computer through your store-bought firewall. The only privacy which exists now is for those nobody is interested in, which is most of us.

I'm fairly sure that in the next decade or two terrorists are going to get their hands on a few small nukes and set them off in places like London and New York. Nobody will care what privacy gets invaded after that.

Governments are made up of people. People make mistakes. That "no fly" list fiasco should give us an idea of just how many mistakes can be made and just how much work is required to try to straighten out those mistakes.

This governments will share that information with what other countries? Who is going to make those decisions? who is going to verify that the information shared is correct?

I wouldn't trust a government with that kind of power.

The USA already has such information, and is building a giant data warehouse in Utah to store it. The biggest threats to one's privacy are their own voluntary actions and habits...must not be that important. Canadians are more interested in getting a U.S. IP address for Hulu or NetFlix !

Ok now ... IF Canada prides itself on being a safe democratic country that has a history of welcoming immigrants and refugees fleeing religious or political persecution in unsafe and undemocratic countries ... how did we get here?

If governments are oppressive and undemocratic, dissidents are the kind of heroes we should welcome.

Now we squeal on political dissidents and ship them back to their persecuters?

Harper aligns himself with governments in power regardless of how evil ... 'rules are rules'?

Yuck. Creepy.

Ok now ... IF Canada prides itself on being a safe democratic country that has a history of welcoming immigrants and refugees fleeing religious or political persecution in unsafe and undemocratic countries ... how did we get here?

If governments are oppressive and undemocratic, dissidents are the kind of heroes we should welcome.

Harper aligns himself with governments in power regardless of how evil ... 'rules are rules'?

Yuck. Creepy.

Like Hamas in Gaza, Hezbollah in Lebanon, Assad in Syria, or our old pal Iran......for which any government other than the Harper Conservatives would have a much more friendly, "nuanced" relationship? You mean those evil governments? Oh, and did I mention Trudeau's love affair with the Chinese way of running their country?

Don't give a damn. Anyone with enough technical knowledge can find out just about anything they want to on the internet anyway, and can hack your home computer through your store-bought firewall. The only privacy which exists now is for those nobody is interested in, which is most of us.

Ok awesome, so then can you please post your email password here for us?

The right-wing. I mean, I know it takes two wings to fly but we've clearly banked hard right and are probably spiralling in for an even harder landing.

Yuck. Creepy.

It's just a Nanny State but the right wing version - a nasty mean cold hearted Nanny who's just as determined to keep our children and communities safe at any cost, especially for capitalism.

I'm fairly sure that in the next decade or two terrorists are going to get their hands on a few small nukes and set them off in places like London and New York. Nobody will care what privacy gets invaded after that.

The authoritarian-industrial complex is probably salivating at the prospect of that mother of all galvanizing events.

Like Hamas in Gaza, Hezbollah in Lebanon, Assad in Syria, or our old pal Iran......for which any government other than the Harper Conservatives would have a much more friendly, "nuanced" relationship? You mean those evil governments? Oh, and did I mention Trudeau's love affair with the Chinese way of running their country?

Harper is that dumb he actually closed out embassy in Iran. Like a little child he took his marbles and went home. Now we have no idea what's going on there.

You won't mind if I spy on you and your family using your camera on your computer?

The right-wing. I mean, I know it takes two wings to fly but we've clearly banked hard right and are probably spiralling in for an even harder landing.

It was Britain's Labour government which started putting cameras on every street corner, and it was Australia's Labour government which put in a kind of national firewall to censor the internet. And what would you call China's Communist government and it's tight censorship and surveillance of the internet?

This is not a left/right issue.

You won't mind if I spy on you and your family using your camera on your computer?

I didn't say I wouldn't mind. I said there was nothing I could do about it. There are people all over the country now whose webcams have been hijacked and who don't know it ,whose computers are being examined by others and don't know it.

As far as worries go, I'm more worried about that than what the government wants to do.

Harper is that dumb he actually closed out embassy in Iran. Like a little child he took his marbles and went home. Now we have no idea what's going on there.

It's not like we could ask the Brits or Swiss or something, huh? Or read a newspaper.

With the country plagued by so many authoritarian state power sycophants, the government can do pretty much what it wants. If we dont value our privacy then why the hell would they?

Our only hope is that the courts keep stopping them.

Edited by dre

the real problem is incorrect information

in all honesty doesn't matter

unless the person that is a threat huh you shouldn't be doing anything and if they are a threat and not incarcerated it means they're on the Run

everything else is just a form of defamation.

I'd say 99.9% is just to hassle people and make their life difficult

a crime that's one thing but I have a suspicion of somebody being a dodgy that is another thing completely

Edited by gman29

all the hacking stuff is government committing crimes

the whole issue of the non legal breaches of privacy rights is problematic both for the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights in Canada they are constitutional violations and the that just means that the government is corrupt

Edited by gman29

do you want to wage war wage war but you shouldnt be waging war against your own citizens

if you know they are a terrorist why are they walking around

by that I mean if they broke the law then that is a legal matter if you want to extradite somebody provide the information it's that simple if you want to set someone up for trouble in a foreign country that is another matter completely

as it stands more or less it is providing information on people to foreign countries that are known for torture and abduction. if that doesn't exist within Canada is criminal law it should because abetting harm of Canadians through information exchange is a crime if no no you know that crimes in Canada will be committed against Canadians if you supply that information. selling out Canadians for foreign countries intrests is problematic

there should be no need for information exchange if the law is followed and that means ensuring that people who are legitimate threats to the public are legally engaged as opposed to clandestine operations conducted against themin contravention of domestic law

the problem is twofold the breadth of information gathering in the context that anybody who has information held by ns must be scrutinized and criminalized even if they haven't broken the lawand the second problem is an increase in government activities which don't exist in law and are a violation of the law it is more less a secret state that is violating Canadians rights that is more of the type of gestapo and k_g_b activities that were so shunned when there was a free world.

this stuff is being used to infringe People I suspect it's playing against people more due to painting and characterizing people and these records arnt even able to be scrutinized by people themselves or challenge if these documents arnt able to be challenged valid or not then its r people should be able to scrutinize information like in the US you can see your FBI file but these are secret documents and information exchanged isn't being made publicly accessible and I think that's where the problem exists because it allows politicalprocess to occur where it should be legal process

do you want to send information on me somewhere else please let me challenge that information as accurate or not first. and let me take you to court to sue you if it's not accurate or it defames and it's not related to a crime

because that is clearly defamation and criminal and a wholly political process

the world of civil process and gentlemen ship is being replaced by a cutthroat world of lies and abuse

do I want foreign governments to know when I'm not at home no.

dealing with one government is bad enough let alone every government reverie government that the potentially wants to act against me in an illegal fashion contrary to domestic laes of the country that I am in

Edited by gman29

It was Britain's Labour government which started putting cameras on every street corner, and it was Australia's Labour government which put in a kind of national firewall to censor the internet. And what would you call China's Communist government and it's tight censorship and surveillance of the internet?

I suppose not since the left doesn't exist in any recognizable fashion any more.

Like I said it takes two wings to fly.

Right now conservatives are in charge of all the allegedly democratic countries you mentioned. What's stopping them from disassembling the surveillance states they've inherited and why are they falling all over themselves to do business with China's oligarchs - who are as conservative in their way of thinking as it gets?

I agree this is more a governed/government issue and I think its patently clear the conservative base of support in most cases is the more sycophantic. They don't mind a Nanny State, especially if it's coddles and protects the rich and powerful.

Edited by eyeball