Real Racism: Clippers Owner Bids GF to Avoid Blacks in Public

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its now time for the NBA to stop being hypocrites and fire Spike Lee.

I don't get it - what did Spike Lee say ?

Also - they're not being hypocrites. Once the morality starts trumping the economics then the world is upside down and the offending racist is to be jettisoned forthwith.

Makes sense to me.

Any fool can realize that this old man's comments were provoked more by jealousy than racism. Had the young lovers of the old man's girl been white he would have said something different but yet derogatory.

Yet this anti-racism hysteria is the modern day version of witch-hunts. As we know from the history of the medieval witch-hunts the accused had to prove that they were innocent, which they mostly failed. Nothing new in that respect.

Tss,

Maybe a lot of us are indeed fools...but there's no "witch hunt," which usually implies that a person is innocent of the charges. For example, the hysteria surrounding Satan-worshipping child molesters at a daycare centre some time back....was a "witch-hunt," because none of it was true.

You're assuming the man here didn't mean what he did in fact say, based on a rather cheap kind of armchair psychologizing..

Edited by bleeding heart

I don't get it - what did Spike Lee say ?

Doesnt like inter racial marriages , among many many other pretty sad comments.

Also - they're not being hypocrites. Once the morality starts trumping the economics then the world is upside down and the offending racist is to be jettisoned forthwith.

Makes sense to me.

Sure they are, they had an outed racist in their group and are trying to oust his franchise from him (presumably) but have been succesful in getting him marginalized although still the recipient of all the monies, all the while they had a guy on payroll who is well known for racism.

Sure they are, they had an outed racist in their group and are trying to oust his franchise from him (presumably) but have been succesful in getting him marginalized although still the recipient of all the monies, all the while they had a guy on payroll who is well known for racism.

Yes but you missed the point - the morality trumped the economics which forced the NBA to act.

How does having another racist on payroll relevant if it doesn't hurt their pocketbooks ?

When did the Clippers owner hurt the NBA's pocket book?

He was about to.

There are rumours that, had Adam Silver not banned Sterling yesterday, that the Golden State Warriors and LA Clippers were planning to walk off the court the second the ball was thrown in the air by the refs. (Had it happened, it would have been quite the sight)

That would have cost the league a boatload, especially if other teams followed suit. Remember they're currently in the playoffs right now.

Also many sponsors had already jumped ship from supporting the Clippers. Had Sterling been allowed to stay, I'd imagine the players and sponsors would have seen the leagues' non-action as almost a tacit approval of Sterling's behaviour.

Also for those that think what Sterling said wasn't so bad, think of what happened yesterday as the straw that broke the camels back, there was plenty of evidence that Sterling is horribly racist. This was simply the most publicized instance because the Lady took his rant to TMZ.

Edited by Boges

Yeah much more impactful than Jackie Robinson or Lou Gehrig or Wayne Gretzky or John Carlos or Michael Jordan or Magic Johnson or Hank Aaron or Cal Ripken or or or. All athletes who are household names for what they did on the playing field, ice court whatever and also for who they were as people.

Sports may just be entertainment, but world over it's value as a sideshow to our mundane life can't be overlooked. Pro Athletes are millionaires because they generate that money honestly, they really do generate much more than that for organizations because people love what they do.

And this isn't a North American phenomenon, World over athletes are idolized and revered. It's just the way humans are I suppose.

I'll give you the first African American for improved race relations, but Wayne Gretzky???

If you want to idolize the Gretzky than that's your business.

And I agree, people the world over should be spending their time and money more wisely!

WWWTT

Is basketball really a popular sport in Canada? i personally can watch it now and then but tbh it is bloody boring. Compared to hockey or even volley-ball, which I used to play at an advanced level years ago, basketball is just boring.

A matter taste of course this is.

He was about to.

Thats debatable at the moment.

Each NBA has all the costs covered for the year before the first jump ball to start the season. (The NFL is even better)

I have no doubt that in the future there could be a cost, but thats assuming that advertisers would have bailed on the league , not just bailed on Clippers (as they have) I wonder if they would have in the face of what some expected was a token slap given to Sterling.

There are rumours that, had Adam Silver not banned Sterling yesterday, that the Golden State Warriors and LA Clippers were planning to walk off the court the second the ball was thrown in the air by the refs. (Had it happened, it would have been quite the sight)

That would have cost the league a boatload, especially if other teams followed suit. Remember they're currently in the playoffs right now.

I am again not so sure. The players would/could have been fined for that action of walking off. The revenues would have been in the hands of owner(s) by the time they did that. It would definitely hurt Sterling because there is huge profit from concessions but not so much for the league (pretty sure they get a cut of gate revenue)

Also many sponsors had already jumped ship from supporting the Clippers. Had Sterling been allowed to stay, I'd imagine the players and sponsors would have seen the leagues' non-action as almost a tacit approval of Sterling's behaviour.

Agreed. I think the NBA had no choice in this, and thier action was swift and to the point . Good on the NBA.

Also for those that think what Sterling said wasn't so bad, think of what happened yesterday as the straw that broke the camels back, there was plenty of evidence that Sterling is horribly racist. This was simply the most publicized instance because the Lady took his rant to TMZ.

Agreed. He was a supreme dick and they nabbed him good .

By Donald! Take your boatload of cash from the sale and have a nice life

Is basketball really a popular sport in Canada?

Yes, and growing by leaps and bounds every day.

The best player in college basketball is Canadian, ,a couple of other Canucks are in the top ten.

i personally can watch it now and then but tbh it is bloody boring. Compared to hockey or even volley-ball, which I used to play at an advanced level years ago, basketball is just boring.

A matter taste of course this is.

Yes, a matter of taste , volleyball would be hard pressed to get 10 people to watch.

I do not think that this is the end of this story. The NBA may have their "constitution" but it does not over ride the one of the USA. If Sterling is the cantankerous old fool that he is depicted to be then I can see him going to court about being railroaded out of his business.

There are a number of questions still to be answered and I will wait until the dust settles.

There has been some interesting reaction from the red necks on the Internet. I found one particularly interesting; "If it wasn't for these old rich white guys ready to invest in the NBA than these black guys from the getto would still be there, dunkin the ball in the local school yard."

Yes, racism is repugnant but is it a criteria to force an individual to divest himself from an investment?

I am sure that the proposed solution to this event appears viable to many people but I think that we will see this issue decided through the courts.

I do not think that this is the end of this story. The NBA may have their "constitution" but it does not over ride the one of the USA. If Sterling is the cantankerous old fool that he is depicted to be then I can see him going to court about being railroaded out of his business.

There are a number of questions still to be answered and I will wait until the dust settles.

There has been some interesting reaction from the red necks on the Internet. I found one particularly interesting; "If it wasn't for these old rich white guys ready to invest in the NBA than these black guys from the getto would still be there, dunkin the ball in the local school yard."

Yes, racism is repugnant but is it a criteria to force an individual to divest himself from an investment?

I am sure that the proposed solution to this event appears viable to many people but I think that we will see this issue decided through the courts.

Omg! You found racism on the internet? No way!

I do not think that this is the end of this story.

Probably not, we'll see

The NBA may have their "constitution" but it does not over ride the one of the USA.

Yes it does.

Early thoughts are that no court will take this on. Sports teams have exemptions.

What is known now is that he has arbitration available, and if he fails at that, he is done.

Almost guarantee you it wont

It very likely could. Sterling has successfully taken the league to court before over things he had far less of a leg to stand on.

The problem the league has, is they so grossly over-reacted. Had they laid down a reasonable punishment, things would be much different. The league bylaws allow for fines and suspensions, but not for terminating ownership or forcing him to sell. If Sterling takes that to court, the NBA will have trouble making even the case they do have, because the recording that is their primary evidence was illegally obtained, so it's not admissable evidence.

It very likely could. Sterling has successfully taken the league to court before over things he had far less of a leg to stand on.

The problem the league has, is they so grossly over-reacted. Had they laid down a reasonable punishment, things would be much different. The league bylaws allow for fines and suspensions, but not for terminating ownership or forcing him to sell. If Sterling takes that to court, the NBA will have trouble making even the case they do have, because the recording that is their primary evidence was illegally obtained, so it's not admissable evidence.

He's 80 years old and a billionaire. He might as well fight just for the fun of it.

Thats debatable at the moment.

Each NBA has all the costs covered for the year before the first jump ball to start the season. (The NFL is even better)

I have no doubt that in the future there could be a cost, but thats assuming that advertisers would have bailed on the league , not just bailed on Clippers (as they have) I wonder if they would have in the face of what some expected was a token slap given to Sterling.

I am again not so sure. The players would/could have been fined for that action of walking off. The revenues would have been in the hands of owner(s) by the time they did that. It would definitely hurt Sterling because there is huge profit from concessions but not so much for the league (pretty sure they get a cut of gate revenue)

First off, if the players walk off the court and the fans don't get to see a game, the fans are getting refunds. Or if they don't, they have a building full of disgruntled customers. They lose money either way.

Even if the boycotts et al were limited to the Clippers, the effects would still harm other teams in the league. The NBA, like other sports leagues, has a revenue sharing agreement among the franchises. If revenues for one franchise fall, every team feels the effects.

The bigger danger for the NBA is that if they had not done something drastic, people would have started asking "why didn't the NBA take a stronger stand against Sterling?" It becomes a problem for the whole league's image, not just the Clippers. If people start writing columns asking whether the league is tolerant of racism, it definitely costs the league money. They couldn't allow the perception that they're soft on racism. It would have been damaging to their reputation and their revenue. And you can be sure that their constitution contains clauses allowing them to protect their reputation.

-k

3-4 days ago this case was the top news-story in the US-media. Oh dear oh dear, surely trivial things like the Ukraine crisis or the civil war in Syria which both could lead to a WW III are completely meaningless when something as outrageous as this happens.