Seven things I've learned from FOX news.

Argus

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Gzowski was one of the greats. A giant in Canadian broadcasting. In the glory days, there was never an AM transmitter too far away that CBC couldn't be picked-up on the ol' car radio. Then AM was deemed to sound crappy and every station wanted to be FM stereo...

Well if you are a Gzowski fan you should remember his political deal he did regularly, I think it was Wednesday, whatever, Kearns, Camp, and Lewis. What a lovely, intelligent, discourse where opinions were profferred, which caused you to think, and they did it politely without trying to outshout each other, like they do now, especially on FNC. God bless Peter.

Just pointing out the obvious: You don't have a horse in this race. It's not your tax money, not your programming, not your business.

Ahem...this observation is apparently lost on some Canadians with respect to Americana as well. BTW, the CBC does use "my programming", "my wire services", and "my internet" ! :P

Arthur Black is one of the few from that era you'll occasionally still hear on CBC...usually a 'report' from whatever island he's on...Salt Spring, I think.

He is on saltspring, or at least he was. I was showing my mother around when she came to visit me a few years back and we got off an early am ferry in Ganges and went to a coffee shop and there was Arthur. He was alone and I couldn't resist saying hello and he invited us to sit with him. We had some laughs, my mother was intrigued, the breakfast was tasty, and all in all it was a great start to the trip.

Agreed. It's a mouthpiece for liberals, financed by everyone. It's quite the racket.

So if it's a mouthpiece for Liberals, why do they invite Conservative members to all political discussions? Or at least the ones they are willing to turn up for, which seems to be declining with the current spate of scandals within their ranks.

So if it's a mouthpiece for Liberals, why do they invite Conservative members to all political discussions?

The CBC is not as biased as Fox news or MSNBC because their mandate requires that they at least try to appear to be balanced. However, the choice of stories to cover and the slant given to those stories all demonstrate a strong left leaning bias.

The CBC is not as biased as Fox news or MSNBC because their mandate requires that they at least try to appear to be balanced. However, the choice of stories to cover and the slant given to those stories all demonstrate a strong left leaning bias.

Well let's see, I watch power and politics whenever I happen to be at home when it's on. There is always a group of reporters reporting, and perhaps you could label them "lefties" but there is also always, a liberal, an ndp, and a conservative either minister, parliamentary secretary, or whoever the party wants to make available,(their choice, not cbc's) to defend their individual positions. FNC uses people like Dick Cheney's daughter------to defend Dick Cheney. If that is supposed to be balanced reporting, well, that's why I don't watch fnc.

a liberal, an ndp, and a conservative either minister, parliamentary secretary, or whoever the party wants to make available.

yep. yet with selective editing a biased reporter can make any politician sound like an idiot by airing clips which omit their strongest arguments while highlighting their weak ones. You see that kind of bias all of the time on CBC news reports. The most balanced CBC shows are the ones where they have a panel of speakers debating each other because the format severely reduces the opportunity for bias via selective editing. But these kind of shows are a small percentage of CBC programming so they are not enough to mitigate the bias in the rest of their coverage. Edited by TimG

Fox News Channel and Fox Business are authorized for distribution in Canada according to this bizarre, government controlled list of permitted foreign channels/stations complete with special rules for how many and which combinations of U.S. networks are allowed. The U.S. networks are identified by name.

...licensees distributing to their subscribers one set of U.S commercial stations affiliated with ABC, CBS, NBC and/or FOX and a U.S. non-commercial station affiliated with PBS pursuant to section 20 or 48 of the Regulations may distribute to their subscribers one additional set of such stations taken from this list. Licensees distributing to their subscribers two or more sets of U.S commercial stations affiliated with ABC, CBS, NBC and/or FOX and U.S. non-commercial stations affiliated with PBS pursuant to section 20 or 48 of the Regulations may not distribute an additional set of such signals taken from this list unless otherwise authorized by the Commission.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/satlist.htm

Edited by bush_cheney2004

yep. yet with selective editing a biased reporter can make any politician sound like an idiot by airing clips which omit their strongest arguments while highlighting their weak ones. You see that kind of bias all of the time on CBC news reports. The most balanced CBC shows are the ones where they have a panel of speakers debating each other because the format severely reduces the opportunity for bias via selective editing. But these kind of shows are a small percentage of CBC programming so they are not enough to mitigate the bias in the rest of their coverage.

PnP is not selective editing. It's people from the 3 main political stripes in front of a camera being questioned. And if they do play a clip to make some point or other, are you telling me the clip has been edited. Did Flaherty not meander on about income splitting and saying it needed some further thinking, or did he not? I hasten to add I'm not making a case one way or the other about income splitting, just that what was said, was said.

Fox News Channel and Fox Business are authorized for distribution in Canada according to this bizarre, government controlled list of permitted foreign channels/stations complete with special rules for how many and which combinations of U.S. networks are allowed. The U.S. networks are identified by name.

...licensees distributing to their subscribers one set of U.S commercial stations affiliated with ABC, CBS, NBC and/or FOX and a U.S. non-commercial station affiliated with PBS pursuant to section 20 or 48 of the Regulations may distribute to their subscribers one additional set of such stations taken from this list. Licensees distributing to their subscribers two or more sets of U.S commercial stations affiliated with ABC, CBS, NBC and/or FOX and U.S. non-commercial stations affiliated with PBS pursuant to section 20 or 48 of the Regulations may not distribute an additional set of such signals taken from this list unless otherwise authorized by the Commission.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/satlist.htm

BTW, in Canada we spell Fox news this way Faux News. That would be the other official language you may not be aware of, but go look it up.

BTW, in Canada we spell Fox news this way Faux News. That would be the other official language you may not be aware of, but go look it up.

Clearly this is not the case, as my reference above from official government controlled CRTC demonstrates. The spelling in this government controlled list of permitted non-Canadian programming is "Fox News".

Well, the government has to be polite. The rest of us can be real. Did you look up faux?

Not so real....permitted programming is government controlled. It is amazing that Fox News Channel is even available on so many Canadian cable networks. There must be high demand for "Faux News" in Canada, eh ?

Not so real....permitted programming is government controlled. It is amazing that Fox News Channel is even available on so many Canadian cable networks. There must be high demand for "Faux News" in Canada, eh ?

Yes, just like there are some who like jerry springer and rush limbaugh. I suspect they are one and the same.

And if they do play a clip to make some point or other, are you telling me the clip has been edited.

Lies had be told by simply deleting context from a clip. I have seen it happen over an over again on the CBC and other media when I have sources of information that give me the complete context. When I don't have the context I don't know - but that does not mean it is not happening. The CBC uses this technique to introduce a left wing bias into their reporting. Edited by TimG

Lies had be told by simply deleting context from a clip. I have seen it happen over an over again on the CBC and other media when I have sources of information that give me the complete context. When I don't have the context I don't know - but that does not mean it is not happening. The CBC uses this technique to introduce a left wing bias into their reporting.

You sound like Donald Rumsfeld.