Neil Young rocks the tar sands

jacee

given the perception I hold of your collective past posts concerning global warming/climate change..... who/what do you trust and rely upon to allow you to interpret your, as you say, "knowledge of this issue"?

Waldo, I'm sure you have an enormous amount of knowledge on global warming. However, thus far you have failed to demonstrate even the tiniest, most minute, most get-me-an-electron-microscope-and-see-if-I-can-find-it knowledge about the economics involved in energy production, distribution or consumption. Nor, like Young, like Suzuki, any interest either.

Just go green! That's the sum total of the complexities in your argument. Cost? Who cares!?

Edited by Argus

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He owes his wealth to the economy created by easy access to low cost energy. Without that economy no one would have bought his songs or went to his concerts. Anything he does with money earned thanks to fossil fuels is a stunt. If he really wanted to demonstrate his commitment to a non-fossil fuel economy he would take up life as a goat herder in Somalia. Until he does that he is a pathetic hypocrite.

:lol: everyone... everyone, including you Neil Young, you must be perpetually indebted to the fossil-fuel industry! The economy, your lifestyle and your very existence precludes you from ever challenging the status quo.

tumblr_md0z8hzOm51qc0cxpo1_500.gif

It's hypocritical, because Neil's carbon footprint in touring, traveling, equipment and sound, the people he needs to move around, recording and distributing albums, etc, is probably 100 - 1000x that of the average Canadian.

Dear Neil: Guess what, you don't distribute your albums worldwide in a Prius. And unless you want us to believe you tow your entire entourage, stage and equipment in that prius, kindly shut your big mouth you hypocritical jerk.

For all of us to live Neil's lifestyle and live in properties like his, the increase use of fossil fuels to make that happen is beyond enormous. As usual, another celebrity proposing solutions that don't affect their lifestyle at all, but make a big difference for the little people. Who cares if thousand of oil sands workers have to lose their jobs? Neil still has millions of dollars.

Very, very well said.

When you look at the idiots that go around spewling misinformation like neil, al, and david they are all millionaires with many homes and have no worries at all. And leave a footprint in a month bigger then most of us will ever do in our life times. I was a fan and remember having great seats in TO in the 80's to see him, but I will never listen to him now, his voice now makes me want to puke. But what is worse is the canadians that agree with him. The oil sand have done more for natives then anything else. And the next time they are in a hospital , remember that it is a good chance oil dollars are paying for your visit.

To help, the subtext is unquestionably that he is a hypocrite for calling for innovation because his "lifestyle" is made possible by using oil. It's no better than Shady telling him to shut up.

So you are now interpreting a underlying tone which of course would never be persuaded by your left leaning bias and calling that undertone unquestionable. Lol. That is funny.

Answer this.....does Neil Young use oil or not? if the answer is yes then there is nothing incorrect about the statement made. Of course, as per Neil Young's response, he believe's they don't need oil. He clearly isn't aware of all the uses of oil.

Waldo, I'm sure you have an enormous amount of knowledge on global warming. However, thus far you have failed to demonstrate even the tiniest, most minute, most get-me-an-electron-microscope-and-see-if-I-can-find-it knowledge about the economics involved in energy production, distribution or consumption. Nor, like Young, like Suzuki, any interest either.

Just go green! That's the sum total of the complexities in your argument. Cost? Who cares!?

the economics involved in energy production, distribution or consumption??? I suggest you start a thread... and bring your 'A' game, hey?

the economics involved in energy production, distribution or consumption??? I suggest you start a thread... and bring your 'A' game, hey?

We did have a thread on this. Remember...the one where you tried to claim that green ecomony was the same as green energy.

Well Ontario's power costs have doubled, and will continue to get much worse. Before long, Ontario will have the highest energy prices in all of North America, paying ten or twenty times as much for green power as for regular oil or nuclear power. The green jobs? They disapeared, along with thousands and thousands of manufacturing jobs while old ladies shiver in the near dark, barely able to afford to pay for their electricity.

there have been several threads dedicated to Ontario, the GEA, etc.... much of what you've just stated has been discussed. I note your conspicuous absence from those threads. Are you feely frisky here?

When you look at the idiots that go around spewling misinformation like neil, al, and david they are all millionaires with many homes and have no worries at all. And leave a footprint in a month bigger then most of us will ever do in our life times. I was a fan and remember having great seats in TO in the 80's to see him, but I will never listen to him now, his voice now makes me want to puke. But what is worse is the canadians that agree with him. The oil sand have done more for natives then anything else. And the next time they are in a hospital , remember that it is a good chance oil dollars are paying for your visit.

pffft!

So you are now interpreting a underlying tone which of course would never be persuaded by your left leaning bias and calling that undertone unquestionable. Lol. That is funny.

Answer this.....does Neil Young use oil or not? if the answer is yes then there is nothing incorrect about the statement made. Of course, as per Neil Young's response, he believe's they don't need oil. He clearly isn't aware of all the uses of oil.

I'm not "interpreting an underlying tone"; I'm summarizing the obvious intent of words. If you think they did not mean to suggest Young is a hypocrite for using oil, what do you think they meant to say instead?

But Young doesn't "believe they don't need oil." He believes they should work towards new technologies that will work in the long term and not double-down on destroying the livability of the planet for short-term gain. Because there will come a day when we can't use oil anymore, so we need to face reality now for everyone's benefit---economic and otherwise.

Neil Young telling me to buy a Prius is like me telling a textile worker in Bangladesh to use the Internet to find another job.

This sounds like a dream you would have if you ate too much cheese before bed. Your analogies are as addictive as they are perplexing. I think Kimmy went for the full-court press with a super rational response so I will try that too:

In this scenario, Neil is acting out of motivation for the common good and persuading you to modify your behavior to fit a moral model. You are telling someone to not (I assume) compete with Canadian workers. You're either doing so out of self-interest, or out of duty to your countrymen.

That's the first difference. The second one is that the target of the appeal-to-action has choices in the first scenario, but not in the second.

There are good analogies and awkward ones. If you like the awkward ones, then really you're like an omelette chef licking a Rubik's cube in a karaoke bar.

I was a fan and remember having great seats in TO in the 80's to see him, but I will never listen to him now, his voice now makes me want to puke.

I never really understood the compunction to like stars that had the same political views as me. One of my favourite favourite American film artists is Clint Eastwood and I think if he and I ever discussed politics, I would end up with a bullet hole in me, waiting in an Obamacare center somewhere.

I'm not "interpreting an underlying tone"; I'm summarizing the obvious intent of words. If you think they did not mean to suggest Young is a hypocrite for using oil, what do you think they meant to say instead?

Its not obvious, in fact its erroneous. He is reminding Young and everyone else that oil is currently a large part of daily living and a large part of our ecomony relies on oil. If you don't beleive this to be true then just watch our dollar drop everytime the price of oil drops. With that being said, he makes zero accusations (directly or implied) against innovation. Until we get something that replaces oil (both economically and environmentally) then we are all considered users.

But Young doesn't "believe they don't need oil." He believes they should work towards new technologies that will work in the long term and not double-down on destroying the livability of the planet for short-term gain. Because there will come a day when we can't use oil anymore, so we need to face reality now for everyone's benefit---economic and otherwise.

He flat out said they don't need oil (as per below). The rest of your statement again is YOUR interpretation of what he is saying.

Of course, rock stars don't need oil. I drove my electric car from California to the Tar sands and on to Washington DC without using any oil at all and I'm a rock star. My car's generator runs on biomass, one of several future fuels Canada should be developing for the Post Fossil Fuel Age. This age of renewable fuels could save our grandchildren from the ravages of Climate related disasters spawned by the Fossil Fuel Age; but we have to get started.

Neil Young has the right to stand up for native Canadians and I think that's good!

He also has the right to express his opinion, beliefs, etc.

If you want to believe the global warming theory with a bunch of numbers on a piece of paper and colored world maps showing "red" hot spots where this alleged phenomena is occurring (but no actual real tangible evidence) then let your faith be your guiding light in the new religious order centered around global warming!

Oh and by the way, after the global warming myth/religion followers get bored and disperse, there will only be another doomsday prophecy to put your faith behind!

WWWTT

In this scenario, Neil is acting out of motivation for the common good and persuading you to modify your behavior to fit a moral model. You are telling someone to not (I assume) compete with Canadian workers. You're either doing so out of self-interest, or out of duty to your countrymen.

No, as Young is also acting in self interest. This has been his bank account "schtick" for a long time. Neil Young did "inspire" something, he inspired Lynyrd Skynyrd to write the very popular "Sweet Home Alabama".

No, as Young is also acting in self interest. This has been his bank account "schtick" for a long time.

This seems to me as a form of 'conspiracy theory'. On this very thread, you have consumers saying they won't patronize his product moving forward. How do you reconcile that ?

One thing for sure, this is a hot topic. 7 pages since last night only ?

He flat out said they don't need oil (as per below).

No, he said "rock stars" don't need oil. That's because he has the means to invest in technology to move past reliance on oil, which he is suggesting the government do as well in order to make the technology available to everyone in the future.

The fact that oil is key to our present economy is the point. Everyone knows that. Recognizing we need to move past that is not hypocritical or unrealistic or whatever you're trying desperately to interpret from the PMO's statement.

If you want to believe the global warming theory with a bunch of numbers on a piece of paper and colored world maps showing "red" hot spots where this alleged phenomena is occurring (but no actual real tangible evidence) then let your faith be your guiding light in the new religious order centered around global warming!

Oh and by the way, after the global warming myth/religion followers get bored and disperse, there will only be another doomsday prophecy to put your faith behind!

It takes a lot of faith (or deliberate misunderstanding) to believe science is just a religion.

This seems to me as a form of 'conspiracy theory'. On this very thread, you have consumers saying they won't patronize his product moving forward. How do you reconcile that ?

One thing for sure, this is a hot topic. 7 pages since last night only ?

Patronize his product ? Neil Young ? In 2014, he would be a better spokesperson for Depends or denture adhesive. I'm not surprised that some Canadians would reject an expat from the U.S. with his American rock 'n roll and American LincVolt and American guitar and American ranch telling them how bad the energy business can be.

23young1-articleLarge.jpg

Edited by bush_cheney2004

It takes a lot of faith (or deliberate misunderstanding) to believe science is just a religion.

That a boy BubberMiley, alleged global warming evidence is now SCIENCE!

If anyone questions the evidence delivered from several alleged "scientist", then that will be an attack on ALL scientific research!

Oh and by the way, you forgot to call me an INFIDEL!

WWWTT