Should Stephen Harper resign?

Topaz

A former Tory staffer is asking Harper to either come clean about the senate scandal or resign.As he has said Canadians don't believe his story about "i didn't know" statement. I guess this is for Harper to think about as 2015 election nears, but I can't see him resigning unless Tory rates dip into the teens. I don't see him as one could take a loss, so I could see him resigning as leader before being a loser. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/former-conservative-staffer-asks-stephen-harper-come-clean-230526719.html

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harper is between a rock and a hard place. He likely knew something was being planned but did not know the details. We also know that the original plan (help duffy to repay in return for a public apology) made a lot of sense. The plan only went awry because duffy kept demanding more and more (such as no apology and protection from audits). The trouble is such subtle details cannot be explained in the media.

Edited by TimG

LOL Why would he. You can hate harper all you want, but one thing you can not say is that he is stupid. Just look at what he has done since coming onto the scene, everyone has said this guy is going no where. And harper is telling the truth, about not knowing that is how things work. Harper knows the media has it out for him and has to be extra careful. There is no way in hell he would allow that to happen. It makes the people that think he is that stupid the stupid looking ones. I can't get over how some people's brains turn to mush over fake scandals as this, because everyone know the media is looking for any little thing they can find , so they can get the shiny pony into power. Now back to the thread, this is my area of the country and this guy is full of shit. There is more to this. And the area he is from thru out the consevative and put in a member of the commie party of canada and I hear they are now regretting what they have done.

Edited by PIK

Harper's a micromanager. I find it incredibly hard to believe he didn't know the details when he gave the "go ahead".

How do you know that?? The media told you? The media is now believing all the crap they wrote about this man while trying to stop him. I wish people would start using thier brains again, instead of just believeing the 1st person that says something bad about a guy. I guess that would be called critical thinking?

I would be so embarrassed of Justin as PM. He completely lacks any gravitas on the world stage. Can you imagine him in press conference with Obama or Merkel, etc? Yikes.

That is the biggest fear, they will eat him up alive and get everything they want from this country. I can't believe people tghiunk he could do a better job. His father left us with high debt, high unemployment and a gutted military and at least PET had a brain.

Ever look at how much debt our current government has racked up after being handed a surplus by the previous Liberals? And watch it grow even bigger if they happen to get back to this F35 debacle. Ever noticed how many scandals we have had to endure under Harper?

I do agree on one thing though, at least PET had a brain.

Jason Kenney would probably be the next PM, if Harper resigned. Unless of course Harper resigned with instructions to appoint someone else in the interim. That someone else would probably be Rona Ambrose or Lisa Raitt, imo. And Pierre Poilievre would be crying in his office that day.

Edited by cybercoma

Jason Kenney would probably be the next PM, if Harper resigned.

Ha. As I was typing my last post, it was his name that came up in my head as the individual likely to take the post.

Unless of course Harper resigned with instructions to appoint someone else in the interim.

I believe there's some sort of set succession written out. I've never understood that, though; just because the prime minister now says so-and-so should take his place should he die or resign or whatever doesn't mean so-and-so automatically holds the confidence of the Commons. Unless this succession order was pre-approved by the Conservative caucus and so-and-so already has the second most of the House's confidence.

Obviously there's some formalities that would need to take place, but unless the Conservative Party really disagrees with Harper's choice, they'll likely ratify it.

Anyway, the point is moot, in my mind anyway. I don't believe Harper will step down unless he loses an election and even then he won't go quietly. Just a hunch.

That's incorrect. I would not have been embarrassed if Michael Ignatieff had become PM. At least he's someone of some substance. Unlike Justin.

Riiiight....

Ignatieff is a moron.

I thought Ignatieff's channeling of his inner Chavez with his Harper/sulfur comment was very bizarre.

I wouldn't put anything past Count Ignatieff.

Ok, now Ignatieff has taken over the mantle of crazy person. That guy's unbelievable.

Jason Kenney would probably be the next PM, if Harper resigned. Unless of course Harper resigned with instructions to appoint someone else in the interim. That someone else would probably be Rona Ambrose or Lisa Raitt, imo. And Pierre Poilievre would be crying in his office that day.

I voted for Harper (CPC) in some past elections, I couldn't vote for Jason Kenney. Kenney is popular among conservatives but among the general voters someone more moderate like Peter MacKay might be a better choice.

How do you know that?? The media told you? The media is now believing all the crap they wrote about this man while trying to stop him. I wish people would start using thier brains again, instead of just believeing the 1st person that says something bad about a guy. I guess that would be called critical thinking?

The media tells us a lot spins a lot and also omits a lot so I wouldn't believe everything the media tells us.

Read this in the Star and thought it was interesting especially coming from a former "NDP spinner" Spin is the name of the game really. Note the comments in bold

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2013/11/26/grits_win_byelection_night_by_outspinning_opponents.html

Political spinners are usually useful in the game of expectations management — but not always. Not so much in shaping perceptions of Question Period, where the media and voters can watch and form their own judgments. And not so much when the spinner is flogging a line that flies in the face of the facts. One feels the pain of Prime Minister Stephen Harper’sSenate scandal spinners, repeating daily what most Canadians’ common sense tells them to be nonsense.

I believe there's some sort of set succession written out. I've never understood that, though; just because the prime minister now says so-and-so should take his place should he die or resign or whatever doesn't mean so-and-so automatically holds the confidence of the Commons.

I think a succession plan is proactive and smart, it prepares and conditions both the party and the leader for the change instead of throwing someone into the mix cold. Some individuals can hit the ground running, but not many. Look at the struggles the Liberal party has had with their last 3 attempts at installing a new leader.

Unless this succession order was pre-approved by the Conservative caucus and so-and-so already has the second most of the House's confidence.

A plan is a framework, it's not an order. Part of the intention of succession is to vet out the suitability and acceptance of the future leader without committing him fullly.

He has so badly managed his senate appointments, covered up his attempted bribery of a senator and his senate reform lies that he should resign out of shame....

It makes me laugh how everyone is trying to get harper to step down over something like trying to get the taxpayers money back. It was handled wrong, but it is not a hanging offence. If chretien can steal, and assault proyesyts and make fun of the court ,and use our dime to set up his retirement in china, then why should harper quit???? Who is going to, answer this???