Role of an MP

brian66

I think most MP's when elected for the first time, want to represent their constituents but after getting there, especially under the Tory party, that isn't so and probably why so many have left the party since 2005. As a MP, you have so much pay and benefits especially pension and many will not stand up for their constituents because it would mean, depending on the leader, thrown out and no pension, if its before their six years. Ottawa is and its gotten messier since 2005.

The CPC MPs are by far the more representative to their constituents than the other parties, at least in my area. The LPC MPs in particular are so useless when it comes to even answering phones calls, that my CPC MP is the action MP for several nearby ridings as well. People know that their LPC MP absolutely will not lift a finger or even make a phone call, so they have to go to a neighbouring MP to get their concerns addressed. One nearby (former) long term LPC MP lost her seat in the last election primarily on that issue.

The craziest part is, the worst of the worst when it comes to do nothing politicians in this area, has just announced his intention to run against our MP in the next election. This guy is currently my city councillor, and he's exactly as I described above; will not return a phone call or an email, is never in his office, and no one can actually name a single thing he's actually done. When people here need just about anything, they have to call up the councillor from the next ward over if they actually want a response.

The way our system works isn't much of a democracy when elected MP's (unless sitting as independent) are squeezed into a hierarchal party power structure. if your MP is the party leader they have more power than an MP who is a cabinet (or shadow cabinet) minister, and MP's in cabinet have more power than backbenchers. What kind of bogus "democratic" representation is that?

All MP's within a party are forced to tow the party line by party leadership when they speak (to media or in Parliament), to vote how the party tells them to vote (with few exceptions), and the only time MP's are "allowed" to voice disagreements with their party is behind closed doors in private caucus meetings away from any voter or media accountability. Sad excuse for democracy.

Federalism is an extremely artificial system of government but when we're dealing with huge and vast countries like Canada, the USA or Australia, there really isn't any alternative for federalism.

Edited by -TSS-

Interesting article by freelance journalist Justin Ling about the role of MPs in Ottawa.

http://looniepolitics.com/last-mp-can-turn-light/

respectively:

Forum Rules and Guidelines:

Posting Content

All posts must contain some aspect of an argument or attempt to stimulate discussion. Simply posting a URL to an outside source or posting statements that are only one or two sentences long will not be tolerated and the post will be deleted. In addition, use the search feature to ensure that the topic you are posting is not already being discussed somewhere else in the forums.

???? What makes you say that?

A Tory MP was heard saying that he doesn't like some of the things their leader does, but they are not stupid enough to go up against him because that would mean getting kick out of the party, and therefore losing their pension., if they haven't been there 6 years. Having said that, if you don't believe me on this , then I can only say that your problem not mine. Stop and think how many Tories have left.....8, 9. 10..????

A Tory MP was heard saying that he doesn't like some of the things their leader does, but they are not stupid enough to go up against him because that would mean getting kick out of the party, and therefore losing their pension., if they haven't been there 6 years. Having said that, if you don't believe me on this , then I can only say that your problem not mine. Stop and think how many Tories have left.....8, 9. 10..????

Don't you recall Chretien booting John Nunziata from caucus for voting against his budget? They all enforce party discipline. If more Tories are leaving it could also mean they are less likely to tow the official party line. Not altogether a bad thing IMO.

In the context of popular representation, what do you mean by "power"?

Power = political influence. Influence on party stances on policy and legislation (what bills to table, how to vote on bills). They can also control cabinet (or shadow cabinet) positions, committee appointments, who can or can't speak in Question Period, and other perks such as on-the-job travelling. A party leader has much more influence on these decisions than a backbench MP, so there isn't much equal representation in the House of Commons, especially when you're told what to vote for and what to say or suffer the consequences. If an MP is an independent thinker with integrity, and represents their constituents over their party, their political career will go nowhere. They have to kiss ass and play the game.

Don't you recall Chretien booting John Nunziata from caucus for voting against his budget? They all enforce party discipline. If more Tories are leaving it could also mean they are less likely to tow the official party line. Not altogether a bad thing IMO.

There should be far, far more free votes in Parliament. There is no need to vote as a party unless a vote is a confidence motion, like the budget.

Influence on party stances on policy and legislation (what bills to table, how to vote on bills). They can also control cabinet (or shadow cabinet) positions, committee appointments, who can or can't speak in Question Period, and other perks such as on-the-job travelling... If an MP is an independent thinker with integrity, and represents their constituents over their party, their political career will go nowhere. They have to kiss ass and play the game.

While I understand the latter, I don't get how it relates to much of the former. All that relates directly to representing constituents is speaking and voting in parliament. An MP, aside from the party leader, whether in (shadow) cabinet or not, has to seek permission to speak and vote as told by the whip.

The only way I can see to rectify that is to return to the Australian, British, and elsewhere's method of selecting party leaders, giving caucus more of a role in the process, so that the leader must bend more to his or her MPs' wishes and concerns in order to retain the position, rather than the other way around.

[ed.: punct.]

Edited by g_bambino

The only way I can see to rectify that is to return to the Australian, British, and elsewhere's method of selecting party leaders, giving caucus more of a role in the process, so that the leader must bend more to his or her MPs' wishes and concerns in order to retain the position, rather than the other way around.

This would dramatically improve a lot of the problems in Canadian politics today, I think.

There should be far, far more free votes in Parliament. There is no need to vote as a party unless a vote is a confidence motion, like the budget.

Nunziata did vote against a budget.. His issue was the fact Chretien had campaigned on getting rid of the GST and this was a promise he (Nunziata) had made to his electorate. He said he felt he could not vote for a budget that reneged on that promise.

Foolish maybe but if more MPS were willing to take that kind of stand, there might be more honesty in election campaigns..

I agree, we have allowed our political system to go astray.

Another way, and a much more radical change, is to become a true republic, similar to the USA. Take all executive powers from the PM and give them to a president, who wouldn't be a part of the legislature, and thus have much less influence on Parliament than the PM. Cabinet members could also be from people chosen outside of the legislature (but confirmed by the legislature), removingmore of the party hierarchy. A republic would also remove responsible government, taking away confidence votes and removing the need/trend of strict party discipline on voting .