A Hypothetical Question

jbg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an American I know little or nothing about Canadian policies or politics. Is it OK if a Mayor smokes crack?

as a claimed American, in a vast assortment of past MLW posts, you've made many forceful statements/assertions concerning Canadian policies/politics. So... your false statement is simply a convenient lead in for you. In any case, as a Canadian, I would point you south for a refresher and an answer to your question:

washington-dc-marion-barry-crack-crackhe

as a claimed American, in a vast assortment of past MLW posts, you've made many forceful statements/assertions concerning Canadian policies/politics. So... your false statement is simply a convenient lead in for you. In any case, as a Canadian, I would point you south for a refresher and an answer to your question:

Washington D.C. mayors have long had a charm of their own. Marion Barry sure had a big fail on snow removal in January 1982.

And your snide remark aside, I am very much an American. I have lived within 40 kms. of New York City (the U.S.'s first capital) all my life, except my years of college and law school (1975-82).

Edited by jbg

And your snide remark aside, I am very much an American. I have lived within 40 kms. of New York City (the U.S.'s first capital) all my life, except my years of college and law school (1975-82).

:lol: Yes, and a Democrat who considers Theresa Spence his personal hero. We already know it's a joke.

But, in terms of the question, it would probably be okay if a mayor had smoked crack but admitted to it and sought treatment, didn't lie about it and try and ruin the careers of anyone who got in the way, didn't get people beat up in home invasions to retrieve the video of it, and, of course, people didn't get shot and stabbed in the course of that video retrieval.

What a waste of thread space though.

Edited by BubberMiley

Having used crack doesn't make him an addict.

Crack is easy to get addicted to. I bet it was not his first time, nor was it his last. But how he has carried himself in public on several occasions under the influence of alcohol or drugs tells me he has a problem. The signs are all there.

Was the public calling Gordon Campbell an addict and calling for his resignation after he drove drunk in Hawaii?

Some claimed he was a drunk. Many were calling for his resignation. Edited by The_Squid

Guest American Woman

In so many words. Campbell had his defenders too. The positioning was typically ideologically based as I recall.

Yet he was re-elected after that, was he not?

I'm curious because evidently Ford did not break the law - while Campbell most definitely did.

Yet he was re-elected after that, was he not?

I'm curious because evidently Ford did not break the law - while Campbell most definitely did.

The anti-Ford establishment and media have been working overtime since the night he shocked them all by winning the election. They have never accepted his legitimacy and have been working ever since than to remove him from office, no matter what the cost. They're going into overdrive now because they're desperate to not allow him to appeal to voters to an up or down vote.

Guest American Woman

Oh yeah, I suspect the base would still have loved him even if he'd been caught growing pot. It seems that conservative bases are usually the basest.

Wasn't Gordon Campbell a Liberal? From BC? You're neck of the woods?

Edited by American Woman

Ford's approval ratings are tracking upward, from 39% to 44% since this was disclosed. He could very well be re-elected with those numbers. Which would be hilarious because I don't live in Toronto.

Probably because voters can distinguish between a politicians private life and the job they do in office. Much like Bill Clinton or Campbell in BC, or Mark Sandford in South Carolina etc.

Guest American Woman

What's ironic is that many of Fords critics are also part of the pro-dope smoking crowd.

I was going to point that out. Hence my comment about the safe injection site in Toronto. Which, ironically, Ford doesn't support. At any rate, seems to me that depending on the circumstances, the reaction to using drugs varies greatly. I'm in no way defending Ford; as I've pointed out before, not living in Toronto, being an American, I have no horse in that race - but if he didn't break the law, while I'm critical of his lying and having thrown a lot of his staff under the bus, I'm wondering why there's so much criticism from the 'decriminalize drugs' ilk over his having used crack cocaine. Seems to me, from what I hear, this is one of those things that Canada wouldn't get all in a tizzy over while "religious America" is all hung up on drug use. Just trying to understand and get the full picture. As I pointed out. Campbell's drinking and driving is a criminal offense in Canada - yet he went on to be re-elected in spite of his 'terrible lack of judgement,' and I'm assuming that it was liberals who re-elected him.