A Canada/US merger?

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm speaking as facilitator here. The Canada/US discussion of the thread is drifting into a Climate Change discussion, is what I mean.

Possibly, but historically, drought, famine and warfare have been a much bigger driver of change and to think we are somehow immune to that is just wishful thinking.

Many Canadians emigrate to the U.S. or purchase vacation homes in the "states". Something about the U.S. having a "warmer climate". They don't want to wait for the big "merger".

So no need for a "merger". The snowbirds are all gone by the middle of April. Nice in the winter but no place to be during the summer. If the global warming prophesies come to pass, we will be the ones building a fence fifty years from now. Won't do any good though.

Guest American Woman

People can cross the border and shop and watch American TV as they wish, but I think we Canadians are fortunate that our political institutions are separate from theirs.

I think we Canadians are fortunate that our political institutions are separate

As I've pointed out, the feeling is mutual. I don't know who comes up with this 'merger' business, but no one I am aware of wants it.

I think we Canadians are fortunate that our political institutions are separate

As I've pointed out, the feeling is mutual. I don't know who comes up with this 'merger' business, but no one I am aware of wants it.

Me either. Who brought this up anyway? Oh right, a US born dual citizen trying to make a buck selling a book. Yawn.

Guest American Woman

Me either. Who brought this up anyway? Oh right, a US born dual citizen trying to make a buck selling a book. Yawn.

Topaz is a US born dual citizen trying to make a buck selling a book? :huh:

Guest American Woman

No, Dianne Francis, the author Topaz referenced. Topaz was clearly against the idea.

Yet Topaz didn't dismiss the idea - and this isn't the first thread she's started about the topic, so I'm assuming it's not all the brainchild of Dianne Francis.

At any rate, my point stands. No one seems to want it on either side of the border. The feelings against it appear to be quite mutual.

Francis is blunt if not original:

Francis told Tremonti that the North hasn't reached its maximum potential. "We found huge amounts of gasoline and oil 30 years ago and it's remained stranded," she said. She sees developing the North as an important nation-building exercise. Moreover, she sees the U.S. as a necessary player in this because according to her, Canada's navy can't protect the North on its own. "The bottom line is we have the most valuable and unexploited piece of real estate in the world and we can't even protect it or develop it," she said. "We need capital and manpower and military protection."

http://www.cbc.ca/books/2013/10/why-canada-and-the-us-should-merge-to-form-a-super-nation.html

This is the story of Canada going back to its beginning.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

So when do you all think talks will likely begin, in earnest ? 50 years ? 2063 ?

Why do you keep pretending this is inevitable when things are moving in the exact opposite direction? Are you not paying attention? 15 years ago North America had almost completely open borders. I could drive all the way to mexico without a passport. We are seeing an increase in distrust of foreigners and a new economic reality is driving renewed nationalism, and xenophobia.

Without a massive sea change in human nature this dog isnt going to hunt. And while its true things can change, you have shown us nothing to suggest that this is likely.

15 years ago North America had almost completely open borders. I could drive all the way to mexico without a passport.

And while its true things can change, you have shown us nothing to suggest that this is likely.

The reaction to terrorism, which itself was a reaction to the closening-up of countries is understandable as a milestone on the path to integration. The security perimeter may allow us to do exactly what you say.

Yet Topaz didn't dismiss the idea - and this isn't the first thread she's started about the topic, so I'm assuming it's not all the brainchild of Dianne Francis.

At any rate, my point stands. No one seems to want it on either side of the border. The feelings against it appear to be quite mutual.

American Woman, to set you straight and anyone else that needs to know, I"M TOTALLY against the merger. The only ones who would be for have something to gain from it. MY ancestors have been in Canada since the mid 1600's and I'm Canadian 100%. I think Francis is just another means of the Elite who want to bring the North America Union together and most are in both, the US and Canadian governments, plus corportations.

Guest American Woman

MY ancestors have been in Canada since the mid 1600's and I'm Canadian 100%.

The real "100% Canadians" who were in Canada well before the mid 1600's might beg to differ with you. ;)

I think Francis is just another means of the Elite who want to bring the North America Union together and most are in both, the US and Canadian governments, plus corportations.

I swear the only time I ever hear about such a union is when you post about it. I don't think it's anything to get concerned about.

Edited by American Woman

The only ones who would be for have something to gain from it. ... plus corportations.

So... a few questions: don't most people believe in things when they have something to gain from it ? If they think it's good for the country as a whole, isn't that something to gain from it ? People voted for Free Trade with America, was that because they had something to gain from it ?

And isn't there something to be gained on some level ? Even if you don't agree in the overall benefit ?