Racism or Secularism? Quebec looking to ban all religious garb.

Do you think that's true of all religions in Canada? Do you think, for example, Muslims moving to Canada from Islamic nations are "less religious" once they move to Canada?

I can see it in the Sikh population.... They are very religious, sometimes fanatical.... But not their kids. They become Canadianized.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a nice paranoid fantasy, but the fastest growing belief set in Canada is atheism. The idea that abramic nutbars (christans, jews, muslims) are going to "take over" completely contradicts trends in the Canadian demographic.

Far from letting the abrahamites take over, they are being systemically disempowered and marginalized. In 50 years if you even admit to believing in any of these fantasies you will be a complete and total laughing stock.

One can only hope.

BS. If the current trend continues in two generations, religions of all types will have less influence on our society than ever before in human history.

PF_13.06.27_CanadaRelLandscape-11.png

The abrahamites are in big trouble. A couple of hundred years ago they were a dominant civil authority... in another hundred years they will be a small group of marginalized dorks that everyone laughs at... much like the KKK is America today.

I'm surprised with BC on that graph. It's remained somewhat stagnant.

Islam will eventually take over liberal democracies like Canada because we'll just let it. It will be well within the law and nobody will do anything about it. It's pretty simple. Islam is a growing religion. Not a shrinking one. As far as paranoia goes, it even states in the Quran that Islam WILL takeover...and the non-believers can stuff it (9:33, 61:9, etc). Don't you believe what it says? It's the very word of God.

Will Islam become dominant in Canada in YOUR lifetime? Unlikely. But, it will. As an ideology it's playing to win...not to share. Few modern ideologies have a similar global mandate.

A woman I know has decided to enrol her daughter in mandarin immersion. She works for the school board, apparently many people are now doing this.

Other families I know are considering Spanish as a second language for their children because they think it will be more 'useful' than French. Yes, even in Canada (according to them).

Arabic immersion... not really a trend I see happening even if it became available.

Islam is a religion/ideology...not a race, BC Chick. You don't need to speak Arabic. I can see Vancouver becoming mostly Chinese...they ignore the rest of the province.

Statistics...this would be the same fool proof system that predicted a sweeping NDP victory in British Columbia? Talk about a small group of marginalized dorks that everyone laughs at...

As for Islam shrinking, it grows by over 2% a year. That's grows...not shrinks. So unless Canada plans on stopping Muslims from entering Canada, we can expect to enjoy similar growth.

BS. If the current trend continues in two generations, religions of all types will have less influence on our society than ever before in human history.

The abrahamites are in big trouble. A couple of hundred years ago they were a dominant civil authority... in another hundred years they will be a small group of marginalized dorks that everyone laughs at... much like the KKK is America today.

BS? Islam is growing ironically your graph confirms my theory more than denies it.

Guest American Woman

Do you think that's true of all religions in Canada? Do you think, for example, Muslims moving to Canada from Islamic nations are "less religious" once they move to Canada?

Absolutely, and if they dont their children and their children most certainly do. Religion is struggling to survive in the industrialized world for exactly this reason. Educated an affluent people are much less likely to believe in these kinds of myths. They start focusing their thoughts on having a nice big house, a few nice cars, and buying their girlfriends fake tits.
I don't see any evidence that Muslims moving to Canada from Islamic nations are less inclined to be religious. Perhaps you have some evidence to back up your belief?

Across the country, the Muslim population is growing at a rate exceeding other religions, according to Statistics Canada. It is even growing faster than the number of Canadians identifying as having no religion, though just barely, according to the National Household Survey released Wednesday.

The Muslim population exceeded the one million mark, according to the survey, almost doubling its population for the third-consecutive decade. http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/05/08/survey-shows-muslim-population-is-fastest-growing-religion-in-canada/

Also, I've seen nothing that suggests that second and third generation Muslims are less likely to remain Muslims. In fact, I've read that in Europe, problems can arise with second and third generations that weren't there with their immigrant parents/grandparents. At any rate, I don't think the influx of Muslims has been in Canada long enough to make that call. When the majority of the second or third generations reach their 40's or so, then we'll know.

But the numbers don't tell the whole story, as strong beliefs of a vocal, active minority can have a strong effect - especially if the rest of the popoulation doesn't have strong beliefs and becomes complacent.

But who knows? There are ebbs and tides to everything. That the majority of the population is most interested in material things is a sign of good times - and generally speaking, the idea that 'there are no atheists in a foxhole' could change that if the times change. We have it good right now. People don't feel the need to turn to a higher power, but that could change. As a side note, some very well educated, intelligent people believe in what you believe is a myth.

Edited by American Woman

To anyone worried about muslims taking over Canada:

-Muslims make up 3.2 % of our population

-To put your mind at ease, watch a few episdes of "Little Mosque on the Prairie"

-The idea is in the same realm of idiodic paranoia as "the Jews contol everything"

-It's not individual Muslims...it's the religion/ideology known as Islam.

-Islam will outlive you...your kids...their kids...their kids...etc.

-Islam is growing. Not shrinking.

-Islam, rather than striving to be plural, has a mandate to dominate.

-It will eventually achieve this goal.

Islam is a religion/ideology...not a race, BC Chick. You don't need to speak Arabic. I can see Vancouver becoming mostly Chinese...they ignore the rest of the province.

Statistics...this would be the same fool proof system that predicted a sweeping NDP victory in British Columbia? Talk about a small group of marginalized dorks that everyone laughs at...

As for Islam shrinking, it grows by over 2% a year. That's grows...not shrinks. So unless Canada plans on stopping Muslims from entering Canada, we can expect to enjoy similar growth.

My point wasn't about demographics in any given city, it was about the two cultures that are influencing the future of North America. China and South America are becoming very influential. North American culture also seems to be embracing this influence by choosing to educate/familiarize their children with these cultures.

There is a cultural shift happening, but not in the direction you're suggesting.

Saying that religion dies with the first generation of Canadians isn't exactly accurate in regards to fundamentalist Islam. We actually see that the trouble makers are citizens and we're born in a Western country.

Remember the guy that was publicly executed in the UK, the guy who did it was British. Same with the people who bombed the subway in 2005.

What about the Toronto 18? Omar Khadr? Homegrown terrorism is as much of a threat as foreign terrorism.

Assuming first generation Canadians will reject fundamentalist Islam is a fallacy. It may happen with some, but not all.

Edited by Boges

Assuming first generation Canadians will reject fundamentalist Islam is a fallacy. It may happen with some, but not all.

I don't think anyone would argue otherwise but claiming that this shows some kind of impending Muslim takeover of Canada is a bit far-fetched, IMO. Bordering paranoia.

I don't think anyone would argue otherwise but claiming that this shows some kind of impending Muslim takeover of Canada is a bit far-fetched, IMO. Bordering paranoia.

Islam will simply become the dominant religion. Not in your lifetime. But, slowly and surely it will. It is mandated in the Quran...the holy word of God.

Surat At-Tawbah (9:33) It is He who has sent His Messenger with guidance and the religion of truth to manifest it over all religion, although they who associate others with Allah dislike it.

In other words...Islam is coming to dominate all other religions...and if you don't like it...too bad.

Guest American Woman

In other words...Islam is coming to dominate all other religions...

It certainly appears that way since it's on the rise as all other religions are on the decline.

PF_13.06.27_CanadaRelLandscape-11.png

I have to wonder who they asked, and what their methodology was. Attendance at the churches I'm familiar with is up substantially. My church has expanded almost ten-fold since I've been going, and most of the ones we're affiliated with are in the same boat. The biggest issue is having enough space for everyone. We've had to move into progressively larger facilities every 5 years or so.

Edited by Bryan

I have to agree with you on this. Within a generation or 2, if we allow it, some if not many of our laws and will contain some form of Sharia law. For those who believe in the Christian Bible

Then I need read no further.

-Islam will outlive you...your kids...their kids...their kids...etc.

-Islam is growing. Not shrinking.

-Islam, rather than striving to be plural, has a mandate to dominate.

So 21 % of people follow Islam after 1300 years, call me back in the year 3300 and maybe I'll start to worry.

Islam doesn't exist without individual believers.

Islam will outlive you...your kids...their kids...their kids...etc.

And?

Islam is growing. Not shrinking.

And?

Islam, rather than striving to be plural, has a mandate to dominate.

And?

Proof?

"Islam" isn't an entity.

You're free to say Islam is whatever you'd like. There's no central authority other than the Quran itself and various Hadiths. It will outlive every single Muslim alive today like it has for centuries already.

And again...it's pointless if not against the Charter of R&F to try and ban it as Quebec seeks to do. Islam is here for the long haul...and for the win.

So 21 % of people follow Islam after 1300 years, call me back in the year 3300 and maybe I'll start to worry.

You can belittle Islam all you wish. The fact remains it is a growing ideology and has experienced rapid growth in Canada thanks to our generous immigration policies. Since I don't think Canada will be putting the breaks on immigration, we can expect Islam to continue to enjoy very rapid growth in Canadian society. You're free to provide information that suggests Islam will not continue to grow...perhaps some statistics...heh.

You're free to say Islam is whatever you'd like. There's no central authority other than the Quran itself and various Hadiths. It will outlive every single Muslim alive today like it has for centuries already.

And again...it's pointless if not against the Charter of R&F to try and ban it as Quebec seeks to do. Islam is here for the long haul...and for the win.

Islam isn't here for anything. It has no will of its own or desires.

But you are free to repeat silly catchphrases ad nauseum.

You can belittle Islam all you wish. The fact remains it is a growing ideology and has experienced rapid growth in Canada thanks to our generous immigration policies. Since I don't think Canada will be putting the breaks on immigration, we can expect Islam to continue to enjoy very rapid growth in Canadian society. You're free to provide information that suggests Islam will not continue to grow...perhaps some statistics...heh.

Sure, but why let facts get in the way of delusional opinions.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2011/01/27/despite-fears-muslims-growing-only-modestly-in-world-and-canada/

Did you hear that Canada's aboriginal population is also growing? Does this concern you?

Yes the population of Muslims in Canada has grown very quickly. But some perspective is in order. In the 10 years between 2001 and 2011 it increased a staggering 1.2%. Even the most alarmist predictions have them hitting a total of 6% of the population in another 20 years, but that assumes no change in immigration and birth rates, which is a pretty foolish assumption to make, given growth rates for Muslims overall are slowing down.