Lac-Mégantic train derailment disaster

Many of you have already heard about this disaster that is currently unfolding.

The de railed cars were carrying crude oil,not sure where this product came from.

I personally believe that there are better ways to transport crude oil.

Regardless,I wish the best for all those involved, a speedy rescue and quick recovery!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2013/07/06/quebec-train-derailment-fire.html

WWWTT

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Derek L

The de railed cars were carrying crude oil,not sure where this product came from.

I personally believe that there are better ways to transport crude oil.

Like, say a pipeline?

Of course!

A trans Canada pipeline that is well maintained.

Will wait and see as more details come out.

Like where the crude oil came from and where it was going,etc,etc.

WWWTT

Guest Derek L

Of course!

A trans Canada pipeline that is well maintained.

WWWTT

So, said Trans Canada pipeline would include a branch from Alberta to the coast of British Columbia right?

But back on topic, my hope is that the death toll in Quebec doesn't further rise and that the cause is found and any guilty parties are punished......

Guest Derek L

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2013/07/07/quebec-train-derailment-explosion-lac-megantic.html

From the CBC’s reporting, it appears that near 1000 people have been evacuated………….I wonder when the QPP and RCMP will start rounding up all the firearms in the town?

Also:

"In a fire like this one, where there is major destruction and multiple deaths, the Sûreté du Québecmust investigate to see if there are any criminal elements ... so it becomes a crime scene," he said

I guess they have to investigate every possible angle……….I’d wonder the likelihood of if the derailment and ensuing explosion were intentional? Train derailments are common in North America, even trains hauling fuel and other potentially explosive cargos, but explosions of this magnitude don’t (thankfully) appear the norm………Could this be terrorism? I guess we’ll find out the cause in the days ahead….and unfortunately the price in terms of life lost.

So, said Trans Canada pipeline would include a branch from Alberta to the coast of British Columbia right?

But back on topic, my hope is that the death toll in Quebec doesn't further rise and that the cause is found and any guilty parties are punished......

At least to eastern Canada.

I would think that the people of BC should decide if they want a pipeline.

WWWTT

Guest Derek L

At least to eastern Canada.

I would think that the people of BC should decide if they want a pipeline.

WWWTT

And not to derail your thread too much, but what if parts of Eastern Canada don't desire a pipeline?

Lots of unemployment out east!

Pipeline would stimulate a lot of industry.

I'm sure there will always be people opposing a pipeline,but I think right now,there are more welcoming a pipeline as a good alternative to rail car!

WWWTT

Guest Derek L

Lots of unemployment out east!

Pipeline would stimulate a lot of industry.

I'm sure there will always be people opposing a pipeline,but I think right now,there are more welcoming a pipeline as a good alternative to rail car!

WWWTT

And all those factors also apply to British Columbia, in that many of our younger generations seeking decent paying trades jobs have to go to Alberta to find meaningful work……..With that said, I’ll reassert an attempt to stay on topic here…………Now looks like 5 dead and 40 still missing in Quebec.

From the CBC’s reporting, it appears that near 1000 people have been evacuated………….I wonder when the QPP and RCMP will start rounding up all the firearms in the town?

Maybe they are waiting for the hot firearms to cool off a bit before seizing them ? Once recovery operations are complete then it will be time to blame Harper and climate change for the derailment, no doubt.

And heck, maybe even a branch going south as well. It'd be nice to eliminate the need to transport oil by trains, etc anymore. But that would be too logical, especially for a certain President currently in office.

Question, If global warming was to blame for the floods, shouldn't this devestation and death be blamed on radical environmentalists who've opposed pipelines that would have prevented this incident?

Guest Derek L

Maybe they are waiting for the hot firearms to cool off a bit before seizing them ? Once recovery operations are complete then it will be time to blame Harper and climate change for the derailment, no doubt.

No doubt.........But you forget the GOP and former President Bush ;)

Guest Derek L

And heck, maybe even a branch going south as well. It'd be nice to eliminate the need to transport oil by trains, etc anymore. But that would be too logical, especially for a certain President currently in office.

Question, If global warming was to blame for the floods, shouldn't this devestation and death be blamed on radical environmentalists who've opposed pipelines that would have prevented this incident?

Clearly.....but with that said, one could turn that around and lay blame on the Harper Conservatives for allowing Alberta to continue extracting energy from the tar sands, when a more viable alternative could be found with recycled hemp and the laughter of children ;)

And all those factors also apply to British Columbia, in that many of our younger generations seeking decent paying trades jobs have to go to Alberta to find meaningful work……..With that said, I’ll reassert an attempt to stay on topic here…………Now looks like 5 dead and 40 still missing in Quebec.

Not from my understanding.There are more refineries an potential to build them in eastern Canada.

Plus there is more industrialization/exporting of industrialized goods here that would benefit from Canadian crude!

I believe a pipeline to BC coast main purpose is to export.

Regardless,pipelines are better mode of transportation for fluids (liquid and gases)

Sorry to hear about the increasing death toll,hope for God speed recovery!

WWWTT

Guest Derek L

Not from my understanding.There are more refineries an potential to build them in eastern Canada.

Plus there is more industrialization/exporting of industrialized goods here that would benefit from Canadian crude!

I believe a pipeline to BC coast main purpose is to export.

To an extent, but the Chevron and Kinder Morgan facilities here in the Lower Mainland also contribute to South Western British Columbia’s needs……..I agree with you on the pipelines though…….if not, we’d both still be fetching our water from the well out back with a bucket ;)

But back on topic, it's looking like either a mechanical fault or human error is to blame:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/black-box-found-may-hold-clues-to-cause-of-deadly-quebec-train-derailment-1.1357264

The railway company responsible for a runaway train that sparked deadly explosions in Lac-Megantic, Que. says a locomotive shutdown may have released the air brakes that were supposed to hold the 73-car train in place overnight.

A very sad situation and from what I heard on the news, most of the missing people were in a pub and among the 30 buildings wiped out by the blast and fire. One man said he saw the list of names of the missing and he said he saw most at the pub. This could have happen anywhere in Canada and transporting crude or any other substance like this should be illegal. Also, I heard that there had been a fire earlier on the engine and it was put out and I wonder if they will find, because of the first fire, the weight of the cars, the brakes went and so did the cars.

A very sad situation and from what I heard on the news, most of the missing people were in a pub and among the 30 buildings wiped out by the blast and fire. One man said he saw the list of names of the missing and he said he saw most at the pub.

This could have happen anywhere in Canada and transporting crude or any other substance like this should be illegal. Also, I heard that there had been a fire earlier on the engine and it was put out and I wonder if they will find, because of the first fire, the weight of the cars, the brakes went and so did the cars.

One of the issues that has arisen in my town is people living close to rail yards complaining about engines being left running all night. If it's true that their air brakes don't work unless they're running, I can see why. Seems like a glitch that needs fixing, if that is the case.

Just hearing on tv that 4 engines were shut down but a fifth one was left running by the engineer as per protocol. The engine door was unlocked and there's speculation that someone tampered with the train, shutting down the fifth engine that held the brakes locked. If so, this may yet turn out to be one of the most heinous multiple murders in our history. However, one has to wonder about the complete lack of safety precautions that made this possible at all.

The railway companies need a wakeup call. They've jumped at oil transport opportunities due to pipeline delays, but apparently without considering safety issues. Money talks ...

A whopping 28,000 per cent increase in the amount of oil shipped by rail over the past four years is coming under the microscope following the deadly rail blast in Quebec.

Canada's railways have made a determined push to cash in on the country's crude-oil bonanza, painting themselves as a cost-effective alternative to politically unpopular pipelines such as the proposed Keystone XL.

The Canadian Railway Association recently estimated that as many as 140,000 carloads of crude oil are expected to rattle over the nation's tracks this year, up from only 500 carloads in 2009.

http://m.thespec.com/news-story/3882226-oil-shipments-by-rail-soar-28-000-per-cent-in-four-years/

We used to have things that kept big airplanes from rolling away in the night. They were called chocks, the park brake wasn't even left on. It's beyond belief they couldn't figure out a simple mechanical way of doing it rather than having to leave a brake system powered.

WWWTT and Wilber, Good thing we are learning from our mistakes. This whole thing could have been prevented.

Hmm this engine is on fire. Maybe we should call in another engine at the other end of the train to prevent an issue. Nah, what possibly could go wrong. Let's put it out and call it a night.

Along with the company that owns that train, the government should be sued for willful criminal negligence.