Lac-Mégantic train derailment disaster

Isn't that what I said? The Koebels were not responsible for being drunk all the time and falsifying tests. The Town of Walkerton was not responsible for gving the job to untrained and unreliable individuals and never checking up on them.

It was all Harris' fault! There should have been inspectors to check the inspectors! There should have been provincial inspectors to make duplicate tests of the town inspectors!

Actually, to be even more safe, there should be federal inspectors to watch both the town and provincial inspectors and who would take triplicate tests!

There! I have 100% agreed with all the inevitable ramifications of your argument.

What more do you want?

Oh, and as for your bleach example, don't you think the CONCENTRATION of bleach in the water is an important factor?

You do realize that if a baby ingests a tablespoon of salt at one swallow it will likely kill him? That a cup full would certainly kill you or me.

Obviously by your argument, we should have nothing to do with salt!

Perhaps there should be salt inspectors, municipal/provincial/federal that would all check each other.

The point is that some substances are not only harmless but necessary to life in the proper quantities. To not specify how MUCH is dangerous, as you did with your example, is about as precise as a one-armed fisherman trying to show you the size of the one that got away.

Dammit! Is nobody actually responsible for what they DO anymore?

As far as I am concerned, Stan Koebel and his brother are murderers - plain and simple. That baby died because THEY falsified their tests! There is no way you can convince me that they simply made honest mistakes.

THEY were responsible for the testing and they committed criminal negligence. They got their jobs in the first place by political pull with the town council. So the council shares some responsibility as well.

If you put it ALL on Harris then you let these murderers off scot free. I simply cannot do that.

All of that from this?

This is just another Walkereton

WWWTT

WWWTT

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you for real? It can take many months to do a proper investigation, i have no doubt that you know this, it's just too bad that your hatred gets in the way of your rationality, Harper is not a TSB investigator, let those that are do their jobs, there have been air accidents in the last couple of years that still remain unsolved, this might be a relatively quick, or very long process.

Yes I am being over the top!

The point is that Mulcair is an elected official doing his job.

There are many elected NDP representatives in the province of Quebec and they are doing there job reminding everyone that the Harper government is ultimately responsible for insuring that there are proper funding/guide for safety and security.

But when it comes to spending money on the military or sending troops to Afghanistan,Harper is there with a speaker horn blowing in everyone's face how we need to spend billions on military or else we will be blasted Boston marathon style!

Ironic isn't it that the most deadly of harm is from cut backs and corporate greed!

Not from some ex death metal musician from Victoria with an alleged bombing plot!

WWWTT

Guest Derek L

Yes I am being over the top!

The point is that Mulcair is an elected official doing his job.

There are many elected NDP representatives in the province of Quebec and they are doing there job reminding everyone that the Harper government is ultimately responsible for insuring that there are proper funding/guide for safety and security.

But when it comes to spending money on the military or sending troops to Afghanistan,Harper is there with a speaker horn blowing in everyone's face how we need to spend billions on military or else we will be blasted Boston marathon style!

Ironic isn't it that the most deadly of harm is from cut backs and corporate greed!

Not from some ex death metal musician from Victoria with an alleged bombing plot!

WWWTT

In my view, the NDP and Mulcair are just trying to cheaply obtain press………In the end, it’s a pathetic attempt on their part swooping into a Tory riding that’s been devastated by a horrible tragedy……It reeks of amateur hour……..And the Tories, Liberals and even Bloc have demonstrated their “class” on the mater.
Just one more reason why the NDP will be returned to political irrelevancy in 2015.

I disagree with you Derek.

Many people have died because of an fatal incompetent!

You somehow think that people don't care if the government allowed a dangerous practice that has killed dozens???

You somehow think that the friends ,neighbours and family of those died don't want to see the government take responsibility for their fatal error???

Good luck with that one

WWWTT

And how many people do you know that died in this disaster??

I'm guessing 0!

When someone dies,questions need to be asked!

You don't like the questions because they make Harper look bad!

WWWTT

I'm an ex airline pilot and whenever there is an aviation disaster, I have never been interested in speculation, half assed theories or people with agendas. The only thing that has ever counted was getting the right answers because that is the only thing that can help save lives in future. Getting the right answers almost always requires a lot of time and hard work. Work that is never done by those who speculate, come up with half assed theories or have agendas.

The only thing that will satisfy the victim's families are the correct answers and they deserve no less. Those answers will not come from the politicians of any party.

The only thing that has ever counted was getting the right answers because that is the only thing that can help save lives in future. Getting the right answers almost always requires a lot of time and hard work. Work that is never done by those who speculate, come up with half assed theories or have agendas.

The only thing that will satisfy the victim's families are the correct answers and they deserve no less. Those answers will not come from the politicians of any party.

Hear hear!

Well said

Guest Derek L

I disagree with you Derek.

Many people have died because of an fatal incompetent!

You somehow think that people don't care if the government allowed a dangerous practice that has killed dozens???

You somehow think that the friends ,neighbours and family of those died don't want to see the government take responsibility for their fatal error???

Good luck with that one

WWWTT

Can you prove the Government allowed a dangerous practice that has killed dozens?

As echoed above by Wilber, the cause is yet to be determined, so you’re merely speculating, bordering on libel.

I'm an ex airline pilot and whenever there is an aviation disaster, I have never been interested in speculation, half assed theories or people with agendas. The only thing that has ever counted was getting the right answers because that is the only thing that can help save lives in future. Getting the right answers almost always requires a lot of time and hard work. Work that is never done by those who speculate, come up with half assed theories or have agendas.

Here's a link as to what Mulcair actually said!

Not what was spun after he made his comments,but I guess you rather listen to the "spin" because the "spin" is what you want to hear!

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/mulcair-slams-harper-over-lac-megantic-1.1356485

WWWTT

Can you prove the Government allowed a dangerous practice that has killed dozens?

As echoed above by Wilber, the cause is yet to be determined, so you’re merely speculating, bordering on libel.

Bordering on libel?!?!?!?!?

Good luck with convincing anyone bout that!

Don't worry my friend,there will be lots of time for the evidence coming out soon about these dangerous practices allowed by the government that lead to this horrific disaster.

WWWTT

Really???

So 50 people dying and a town blasted is not evidence?

Is everyone saying that until after a lengthy investigation,nothing can not be done to prevent this from happening again?!?!?!

To what length will some go to protect the decisions of this government?

WWWTT

Train engine catches fire, air brakes failed, cars got decoupled from engine, gravity took it's course.

Preliminary results,

no back up brake systems.

engineer was not present.

secondary lines are missing the back up systems the main rail lines have.

Safety measures seem expensive and labour intensive until a tragedy like the occurs, then people scream that not enough was done.

This is complete negligence if not criminal in some fashion.

I hope that everybody is as interested in this topic in a year or so when the report comes out. Of course, they won't be.

Too bad the government did not pay attention to their own recommendations some years ago.

But here is something to take note of

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2013/07/18/business-cp-cn-rules.html

The rail carrier says it has updated its safety procedures in three ways:

If it is necessary to leave a train unattended outside a terminal or yard, the locomotive will now be locked. This occurred already in some high-risk locations, but it will now be formally applied across the network.

Train brake-setting procedures have been strengthened to meet or exceed all regulations regarding brake setting.

All trains with tank cars containing regulated commodities will not be left unattended on main line tracks.

1 - No train engine should be left unattended unless that train is not running or/while hooked to anything else.

2 - Needing back up systems for brakes. If the air brakes fail, should be an alternate mechanical way to apply the brakes.

3 - I agree not leaving it unattended, however, this was a SECONDARY line where this tragedy occurred.

This does not seem to address the decoupling of the cars from the engine.

Edited by GostHacked

The government is to blame for the accident, as proven by yet to be revealed information.

This is just getting silly.

The government approved of the type of flimsy rail cars allowed,the increased volume,the regulations,etc,etc,etc.

Are you saying that the rail company is independently self regulated?

Because that would be wildly ignorant!

WWWTT

First we have the investigation, next we have the trial, then we have the hanging. That's how our system works so lets keep it straight.

I think the investigation will result in some fingers being pointed and recommend some big changes but that is my opinion, not fact.

So in your opinion,until there are recommendations from the experts at the end of the investigation,it's business as usual.

That's just plain dangerous!

WWWTT

What's dangerous are knee jerk reactions when you don't know what you are reacting to. I think there will be some changes as the investigation goes on but they will be a result of what the investigators are finding, not political speculation. At least I hope so. My industry and it's employees have been on the receiving end of that kind of nonsense and suffered while hair triggered bureaucrats and politicians have fumbled around searching for ways to get their feet out of their mouths without losing face. Sometimes they can with the general public but never do with people who really understand what is going on.

Edited by Wilber