Harper's Blue Conservative Plane

See it here.

True, this was planned years ago. True, it's only $50,000.

But given the optics of the Duffy pay-off scandal, this could not come at a worse time for the PMO.

-----

I have a different take.

Harper reminds me of the French generals in World War II. He is fighting the current war using the previous war's technology. Harper thinks that if he paints his plane the same way Chretien Liberals did (circa 1974) then Harper will win elections in 2015.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess when the NDP comes to power we can expect an orange plane... and no complaining from CPC supporters? Or do CPC supporters admit that this is a bit ridiculous and frivolous?

Actually, looking at it (after it was pointed out to me), it seems that blue has been a part of RCAF colours for a very long time...from the roundels to the colour scheme on the Snow Birds. Still...a bit too much blue for me.

Actually, looking at it (after it was pointed out to me), it seems that blue has been a part of RCAF colours for a very long time...from the roundels to the colour scheme on the Snow Birds. Still...a bit too much blue for me.

THIS. They are the RCAF colours. It's got the RCAF logo.

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/v2/netpub/index-eng.asp?rid=12158-TN2013-0238-08

The opposition is hilarious on this one. If it DIDN'T have any red other than the maple leaf, and if it didn't have the roundel, MAYBE they might have a point. On the other hand, if it was all red and white with no blue, it would NOT be the RCAF colour scheme, AND it would be the colours of the Liberals. Why would anyone think that was better?

I guess when the NDP comes to power we can expect an orange plane... and no complaining from CPC supporters? Or do CPC supporters admit that this is a bit ridiculous and frivolous?

Read the link.

Mulcair said that the NDP would not be painting the plane orange if elected.

WWWTT

Actually,the snowbirds are red,whit and blue in order of % of coverage.

The new PM Taj Mahal is white,blue and red

WWWTT

THIS. They are the RCAF colours. It's got the RCAF logo.

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/v2/netpub/index-eng.asp?rid=12158-TN2013-0238-08

The opposition is hilarious on this one. If it DIDN'T have any red other than the maple leaf, and if it didn't have the roundel, MAYBE they might have a point. On the other hand, if it was all red and white with no blue, it would NOT be the RCAF colour scheme, AND it would be the colours of the Liberals. Why would anyone think that was better?

And who in the opposition said that making the plane red and white or white and red would be better?Please provide the link.

here's a better link to the story.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/06/07/pol-pm-plane-paint-job.html?cmp=rss

Apparently Peter McKay was against the paint job back in 2009.

If anything,this is probably another sign that the rift within the conservatives is getting bigger.

WWWTT

The Liberals did stuff like this (paint planes, flags) in the 1960s and this helped them win elections in the 1970s. We're now in the 2010s, and yet Harper is still using a 1960 political style - thinking it will win him an election. Harper is a French general, sitting on a horse, in 1938.

-----

If Harper had a major innovation, it was letting Irving Gerstein (the People's Jeweller guy) borrow and employ, in a dumb way, Karl Rove's original methods to raise money and identify voters - in 2000s style. At the same time, I suspect that Harper now secretly blames Gerstein for bringing Duffy and Wallin on to the "team". Because of this fiasco, Harper - no fool - is realizing that he has lost any chance at re-election.

Edited by August1991

The Liberals did stuff like this (paint planes, flags) in the 1960s and this helped them win elections in the 1970s.

I find it interesting that you are pointing this out after mentioning numerous times that people have free will and are not influenced by advertising. Are you being sarcastic?

Edited by cybercoma

The Liberals did stuff like this (paint planes, flags) in the 1960s and this helped them win elections in the 1970s. We're now in the 2010s, and yet Harper is still using a 1960 political style - thinking it will win him an election. Harper is a French general, sitting on a horse, in 1938.

Harper and friends are, sadly, starting to remind me of the Liberals of a decade ago. The shenanigans with Mike Duffy and the PMO seem just so ... Chretienesque. Painting the plane in Conservative colors might have been planned before the scandal became news, and it might not have been intentional to make it look like a Conservative campaign jet... but it does, and the timing is terrible. It once again seems ... Chretienesque. One almost expects monogrammed golf-balls to be next.

There's an old adage about governments being like diapers-- needing to be changed regularly and for the same reason.

-k

Harper and friends are, sadly, starting to remind me of the Liberals of a decade ago.

-k

Exactly like the Liberals a decade ago. Comically, posters here that are quick to remind us of the Liberals 10 years ago whenever anyone complains about Harper et al don't seem to recognize this at all.

I heard a good one earlier today. In the US, the president rides around in Air Force One. Harper rides around in "Air Force Run". When the going gets tough, he leaves town. And now in OUR plane with 50K worth of HIS party's paint scheme. Mind you, if I was facing all the music he is, maybe I'd scedaddle too and leave the party faithful to answer. Or at least the party faithful that haven't jumped ship...or been fired. What a sad state.

Your probably aware that the paint scheme are the colors for the RCAF right? Your aware that this plane is in the RCAF fleet right?

Just a little bit of history for you...

I heard a good one earlier today. In the US, the president rides around in Air Force One. Harper rides around in "Air Force Run". When the going gets tough, he leaves town. And now in OUR plane with 50K worth of HIS party's paint scheme. Mind you, if I was facing all the music he is, maybe I'd scedaddle too and leave the party faithful to answer. Or at least the party faithful that haven't jumped ship...or been fired. What a sad state.

The people complaining about this need to ge a life. It is a paint job and looks good. It just makes you laugh at how people, get so upset over something stupid like this. I cvan't believe how this country is turning into a bunch of crying whinny kids. The media must be laughing at how a non starter like this gets people fired up. No wonder we have gossip rags now for a media.

Edited by PIK

There's an old adage about governments being like diapers-- needing to be changed regularly and for the same reason.

-k

Absolutely true. After Seven and a half years of Tory government, and two of that as majority, fatigue is setting in, and I don't think anyone is, or should be surprised by this. The entire tory campaign strategy was based on "We're not the Liberals", playing on voter fatigue with Chretien/Martin. People are tired of the Tories now and they are going to be more tired of them in 23 months.

The onyl real question is - who replaces them?

I think it looks good. I think it's good for the country's image when its VIP's arrive in other countries on a distinctive aircraft, rather than one in military transport livery. Although the colour scheme is different, they are the same colours used by the Snowbirds. Are they a Tory plot as well? I think not as Justin's old man was PM when they were formed. Wonder if he even knows that. Also, aircraft need repainting every few years. Operating in an environment at speeds close to 900 KPH and temperatures ranging from +40C to -60C is hard on paint. If it's due, why not do something that's a little special.

I think it looks good. I think it's good for the country's image when its VIP's arrive in other countries on a distinctive aircraft, rather than one in military transport livery. Although the colour scheme is different, they are the same colours used by the Snowbirds. Are they a Tory plot as well? I think not as Justin's old man was PM when they were formed. Wonder if he even knows that. Also, aircraft need repainting every few years. Operating in an environment at speeds close to 900 KPH and temperatures ranging from +40C to -60C is hard on paint. If it's due, why not do something that's a little special.

Stop that kind of rational talk right now! There's no place for it on this board..... :)

The people complaining about this need to ge a life. It is a paint job and looks good. It just makes you laugh at how people, get so upset over something stupid like this. I cvan't believe how this country is turning into a bunch of crying whinny kids. The media must be laughing at how a non starter like this gets people fired up. No wonder we have gossip rags now for a media.

I'm not really mad about the paint job itself. Planes need maintenance and $50,000 is a miniscule amount in the cosmic scheme of things.

I'm mad because it plays like something Jean Chretien would have done, and I thought Harper was smarter than that.

Taken on its own, the paint job is a non-issue. But with other things going on-- the Mike Duffy shenanigans and the excessive advertising of the Economic Action Plan are the two that stick in my craw-- the paint job just seems emblematic of a problem.

I don't *want* to see Mulcair or Trudeau be Prime Minister. I don't believe in those guys. I would much prefer to see Stephen Harper get his shit together, but right now he needs a reality check because he is screwing up big-time.

-k

I'm not really mad about the paint job itself. Planes need maintenance and $50,000 is a miniscule amount in the cosmic scheme of things.

I'm mad because it plays like something Jean Chretien would have done, and I thought Harper was smarter than that.

Taken on its own, the paint job is a non-issue. But with other things going on-- the Mike Duffy shenanigans and the excessive advertising of the Economic Action Plan are the two that stick in my craw-- the paint job just seems emblematic of a problem.

I don't *want* to see Mulcair or Trudeau be Prime Minister. I don't believe in those guys. I would much prefer to see Stephen Harper get his shit together, but right now he needs a reality check because he is screwing up big-time.

-k

Action plan worked in my area. The senate is something that nhas been going on forever and it is not as bad as the press wants you to believe. Look at the air time this 90,000 dollar check has got compared to what is going on in ONT. Harper was the only one that wanted to clean the senate up, now he is being villified for it? What is out of comtrol is the media, look at the little stuff thatr they have blown out of porportion. The media wants another trudeaumania and they will get it at any cost.