PMO paid for Duffy's fraud

Nigel Wright is a personal friend of Duffy, has been for a long time, he's also very rich.

Duffy may have tried to scam I'm not sure if he did or really thought the rules weren't clear, even the auditor said they were not (clear). I'm inclined to think Duffy should step down, but as far as the cheque goes, it was a gift which he might have to pay tax on, not sure but the taxpayers got their money back. The other two senators are fighting the repayment.

I also believe that the PM should speak to this issue very soon before it goes any further. The problem with these things is nothing is explained and the media et al continue to run with whatever narrative they are putting forward.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nigel Wright is a personal friend of Duffy, has been for a long time, he's also very rich.

Duffy may have tried to scam I'm not sure if he did or really thought the rules weren't clear, even the auditor said they were not (clear). I'm inclined to think Duffy should step down, but as far as the cheque goes, it was a gift which he might have to pay tax on, not sure but the taxpayers got their money back. The other two senators are fighting the repayment.

I also believe that the PM should speak to this issue very soon before it goes any further. The problem with these things is nothing is explained and the media et al continue to run with whatever narrative they are putting forward.

What do you think the government going easy on Duffy means?

What do you think about Duffy not cooperating with the audit on orders of the PMO?

And along comes $90k from a member of the PMO just to "help out a friend".... yeah, OK. Wanna buy a bridge???

The way I look at this is on the form they filled out where it asked for one's principle residences and only three got it wrong, so, either they knew very well what they were doing or they are so stupid they shouldn't be senators!!! IF there was any doubt about the question, couldn't they have asked????? Duffy has lived in Ottawa for many years , so he out right lied but if you are a dear friend of this PM, you get help. Is Harper and his gang going to come to the aid of any other Tory senators?? All three should be kick out but Harper would probably appoint them back along with the Tory lose in Labrador.

The PMO's office did not pay for it, that is just not true.

Nigel Wright is a personal friend of Duffy so cut him a personal cheque to pay for it. I agree the optics aren't good, but he knew Duffy was having financial problems so gave or loaned him the money.

He may be his personal friend, I honestly have no idea. But Nigel Wright is Harper's freaking Chief of Staff! For anyone to say this isn't political and its just "friendship/personal" is absolutely ridiculous. Hmm, Nigel just happens to be good friends with Duffy and just happens to be nice enough to want to gift him 90k (nice friend!) and just happens to be PMO Chief of Staff to the party that just happens to have appointed Duffy and want to save face...WHAT A COINCIDENCE! :rolleyes:

It was also said to be a "gift" to Duffy, and Nigel didn't expect Duffy to pay it back. How are we to know that this 90k wasn't going to be repaid back to Wright through the PMO or other means via some sneaky shuffling off public funds. Sorry, this story has "fishy" written all over it.

Duffy is a disgrace. Any employee in the private sector caught up in such crookedness would be fired. Duffy should resign his Senate post ASAP (for these reasons, and because he doesn't even live in PEI !), then pay back the 90k to the PMO...err, Wright, and find that 90k to give back to taxpayers from another source that isn't highly connected to the CPC. He could start by selling his PEI home that he barely ever lives in.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

A guest on CBC News also made a good point: this could be akin to political bribery, since the PMO Chief of Staff basically "bought off" Duffy so he could save his public reputation. How does a Senator like Duffy act as "sober second thought" and an impartial check on the PM's/House of Commons legislative power when they are being bought off by the PMO?

I have little trust in the consensus media and hope that facts will come out on which I can make an informed judgement. I believe it’s CTV’s Robert Fife making the accusations. Fife said Wright worked out a “scenario” where all of his claimed living expenses would be covered, including “cash for the repayment.”… He’s wrong, there was no cash, Duffy was given a personal cheque. What else do the media have wrong.

..., including “cash for the repayment.”… He’s wrong, there was no cash, Duffy was given a personal cheque. What else do the media have wrong.

Dont know what else.

But is it really wrong per se to have the transactions debt transferred via cash vs cheque?. The roots of the transaction are all the same, the money came from one person.

Fife said Wright worked out a “scenario” where all of his claimed living expenses would be covered, including “cash for the repayment.”… He’s wrong, there was no cash, Duffy was given a personal cheque. What else do the media have wrong.

You are really grasping at straws here.... this isn't "wrong".... it is a quote from Mike Duffy himself!

That comment was quoted from a Duffy email!

In a Feb. 20 email, Duffy said Wright worked out a “scenario” where all of his claimed living expenses would be covered, including “cash for the repayment.”

The words "cash for repayment" came from Duffy himself from an email. Keep grasping!!!

Guest Derek L

He may be his personal friend, I honestly have no idea. But Nigel Wright is Harper's freaking Chief of Staff! For anyone to say this isn't political and its just "friendship/personal" is absolutely ridiculous. Hmm, Nigel just happens to be good friends with Duffy and just happens to be nice enough to want to gift him 90k (nice friend!) and just happens to be PMO Chief of Staff to the party that just happens to have appointed Duffy and want to save face...WHAT A COINCIDENCE! :rolleyes:

Is saving face illegal?

It was also said to be a "gift" to Duffy, and Nigel didn't expect Duffy to pay it back. How are we to know that this 90k wasn't going to be repaid back to Wright through the PMO or other means via some sneaky shuffling off public funds. Sorry, this story has "fishy" written all over it.

Pure speculation.

Duffy is a disgrace. Any employee in the private sector caught up in such crookedness would be fired. Duffy should resign his Senate post ASAP (for these reasons, and because he doesn't even live in PEI !), then pay back the 90k to the PMO...err, Wright, and find that 90k to give back to taxpayers from another source that isn't highly connected to the CPC. He could start by selling his PEI home that he barely ever lives in.

I agree he should resign, but 90k of Mr Wright's money has the same monetary value as other “sources”…………Would you feel better if they pilloried Senator Duffy? Tarring and feathering? Maybe encircle his primary residence in PEI with torches and pitchforks and demand his head?

Guest Derek L

A guest on CBC News also made a good point: this could be akin to political bribery, since the PMO Chief of Staff basically "bought off" Duffy so he could save his public reputation. How does a Senator like Duffy act as "sober second thought" and an impartial check on the PM's/House of Commons legislative power when they are being bought off by the PMO?

What would Mr Wright gain? Wright is a millionaire, that’s been friends with Senator Duffy for 25 years, and Senator Duffy f**ked up (and I agree should resign) and is apparently broke.

Guest Derek L

Now to add perspective:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/senators-brazeau-and-harb-to-repay-erroneous-housing-expenses/article11820865/

Ms. LeBreton said Mr. Brazeau and Mr. Harb would be expected to repay the money they owe immediately “or the Senate will take the necessary steps to seize these funds.”

Mr. Harb could be on the hook for much more. The initial payback covers a two-year period ending March 31, 2013. The committee has asked for a review of Mr. Harb’s expenses for seven previous years.

Mr. Harb, who announced he was quitting the Liberal caucus on Thursday, rejects the findings and has retained former Supreme Court justice Michel Bastarache to challenge the investigation.

Senate rules allow members to collect as much as $22,000 a year to cover the cost of living in the National Capital Region if their primary residence is more than 100 kilometres away. All three senators claimed their primary residence is outside the 100-kilometre radius, but media reports suggest they spend most of their time at their Ottawa-area homes.

So three Senators, One Conservative, one former Conservative and one Liberal dicking around with expenses ………Senator Duffy was given money to pay back what he owed, and the two remaining Senators are refusing to payback what they owe and have obtained legal counsel to fight the audit findings……This hardly makes Senator Duffy a Saint, I feel he still should resign, but he is square with the house (apparently).

Edited by Derek L

Derek, irrespective of your lame protestations, any reasonable person would come to the conclusion this whole thing stinks. It's probably contrary to the senate rules and possibly illegal. It's clearly a matter of Harper bailing out one of his high profile senate appointments.

This reminds me of Mulroney accepting bags full of cash and claiming it was all above board. :rolleyes:

Guest Derek L

Derek, irrespective of your lame protestations, any reasonable person would come to the conclusion this whole thing stinks. It's probably contrary to the senate rules and possibly illegal. It's clearly a matter of Harper bailing out one of his high profile senate appointments.

This reminds me of Mulroney accepting bags full of cash and claiming it was all above board. :rolleyes:

Lame protestations? I would, and of course I'll have some shade of bias towards my own posts, consider my "protestations" as apt, due in large part to them yet being refuted.........As I've said, Senator Duffy, along with the other two Senators, should be forced to pay back any monies and then resign..........Of the three, only Duffy has yet to pay back the money, well the other two refuse.

Any other assertions of guilt on any part of the Federal Conservatives, including the Prime Minister, is imaginative speculation devoid of fact, bordering on libel.

The PMO's office did not pay for it, that is just not true.

Nigel Wright is a personal friend of Duffy so cut him a personal cheque to pay for it. I agree the optics aren't good, but he knew Duffy was having financial problems so gave or loaned him the money.

Whatever.

My first reaction is that this is like Tony Clement's billion dollar gazebo.

It may not be a waste of taxpayer money, but it's another "brown envelope". If Nigel Wright wanted to help someone in the world, he would have sent the cheque to a school in Botswana.... Mike Duffy doesn't need help.

-----

IOW, I didn't vote for Harper for this kind of nonsense. What did Harper gain from appeasing Clement? What did he gain from putting Duffy in the Senate?

Admittedly, it's a raw calculation, Mackenzie King/Harper-style, that may or may not balance against Harper in 2015.

Edited by August1991

Is saving face illegal?

I don't know, but I never said it was. But given the context, it all looks very bad. It seems unethical and may be a conflict of interest to take/give that money given the people involved. Someone may have very well broken the law when all is said and done:

CBC : http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/05/15/pol-duffy-senate-deal.html

"On Wednesday afternoon ethics commissioner Mary Dawson announced she is reviewing Wright’s involvement in the repayment of Duffy's expenses. She said she is following up with Wright "in respect of his obligations under the Conflict of Interest Act."

Pure speculation.

It is.

I agree he should resign, but 90k of Mr Wright's money has the same monetary value as other “sources”…………Would you feel better if they pilloried Senator Duffy? Tarring and feathering? Maybe encircle his primary residence in PEI with torches and pitchforks and demand his head?

Same money value yes, but again, given the people involved, it brings up concerns over a conflict of interest and professional ethics. I get what Duffy did. He wanted to pay back the funds as soon as possible but didn't have 90k readily available to give back. Doesn't make it right to take money from Harper's Chief of Staff.

Any other assertions of guilt on any part of the Federal Conservatives, including the Prime Minister, is imaginative speculation devoid of fact, bordering on libel.

Is Nigel Wright part of the Federal Conservatives? You can't get much closer to the PM than Wright is.

Anyways, yes I agree claims of Harper or anyone else's involvement beyond Wright and Duffy is speculation at this point. That's why there will be an investigation to look into the dealing.

Guest Derek L

I don't know, but I never said it was. But given the context, it all looks very bad. It seems unethical and may be a conflict of interest to take/give that money given the people involved. Someone may have very well broken the law when all is said and done:

Again, further speculation…………..I suppose that one could also speculate that a former mucky-muck of large investment firm, that’s worth millions, could afford a good enough lawyer to walk him through the legalities of giving a monetary gift to a friend of 25 years to a sum equal to a mid range luxury sedan…….

Same money value yes, but again, given the people involved, it brings up concerns over a conflict of interest and professional ethics. I get what Duffy did. He wanted to pay back the funds as soon as possible but didn't have 90k readily available to give back. Doesn't make it right to take money from Harper's Chief of Staff.

What conflict of interest? Like I said, how would a reportedly broke (and suffering an undisclosed illness) Conservative Senator, espoused in a scandal of his own creation, “help” a Conservative multimillionaire, that he’s been friends with for 25+ years and already has the ear of the Prime Minister……Is Duffy going to start supporting the Conservative Government in the Senate?…..Like I said, what advantage would you speculate the tarnished Senator Duffy would be to Nigel Wright and the PMO? Sounds more like deadweight…….

Guest Derek L

Is Nigel Wright part of the Federal Conservatives? You can't get much closer to the PM than Wright is.

Anyways, yes I agree claims of Harper or anyone else's involvement beyond Wright and Duffy is speculation at this point. That's why there will be an investigation to look into the dealing.

And what is Mr Wright being accused of? I’ve yet to see a “talking head” in media come out and say directly that Mr Wright is guilty of some form of conflict of interest with his gift to his friend the Senator……Only allude to said assertions…….I would assume said “talking heads” take this tract, fore they understand the type of Bay Street Sharks Mr Wright has access to, the very same counsel that would have proofed his gift to his friend..

Idle speculation can get expensive I suppose……
Edited by Derek L

Many newspapers have this story and online they usually have comments and one that I read said that the Tories bailed out Duffy because he's part of their economic action plan because he raises the most money for them. I thought that was kinds humorous but some truth to it.

The taxpayer got their money back. Duffy IMO is a honest man and some one must have told him this is what you do. This man has been totally humbled by this but yet the other 2 are going to fight for thier entitlements. And IMO this secret adgenda by the NDP to scream foul on everything is getting tiresome. But then when harper wants to reform it he gets stopped by the opp. Lets go back and do a review on the PMO when chretien was in power. Now that would be scary.

I’ve yet to see a “talking head” in media come out and say directly that Mr Wright is guilty of some form of conflict of interest

I've asked these of the CPC supporters here with no answers forthcoming.... it's like you guys didn't read that part of my posts! lol But staunch conservative (and friend of Wright) Andrew Coyne (one of your talking heads) wonders the same things:

Among the many further questions one would like answered: What undertakings, if any, did Duffy make in return for the money? The auditors’ report notes that Duffy refused all further cooperation with them once the repayment was made. CTV quotes him as saying, in a leaked email: “I stayed silent on the orders of the PMO.” What did he mean? What promises, if any, did Wright make to secure his help in making an embarrassing story go away? Again, CTV quotes sources suggesting the government promised “to go easy on him.” What on earth does that mean?

---------------------------------------------------

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/05/15/andrew-coyne-the-only-right-thing-left-for-mike-duffy-to-do-now-is-resign/

What do the CPC supporters suppose Duffy meant by the gov't going easy on him?

Why did the PMO order him not to cooperate with the audit?

"Here's your money.... don't cooperate with the audit... and we'll go easy on you"...

Yeah, no issues there whatsoever! LOL

This man has been totally humbled by this but yet the other 2 are going to fight for thier entitlements.

Do you think if Duffy had to pay it back himself that he may have fought a little harder? The big man would be arm in arm with those other senators complaining about how hard done by he is and the whining about the nerve of people asking him questions about how he spends their tax money.

But he had a friend in the PMO who can pay him off to shut his yap... how convenient...