Canadian Woman's Hockey Team - Corporate Sellout?

the Canadian Woman's National Hockey team will wear Lance Armstrong Livestrong Foundation colours in its World-Championship opening game tonight... not just a respectful nodding arm-band, or a badge, or a decal, or a pin, etc., ... no, the full complete uniforms in the foundation's bumble-bee colours! National team??? Huh, say what!

as it turns out, public knowledge of this decision only came forward in recent days; apparently, there's a bit of public backlash firestorm brewing over the decision made to have the woman's National Team wear the Nike-Forzani Group-Livestrong uniform - go figure!

bonhomme.jpg?w=930

apparently... not everyone is so easily swayed by Armstrong's ongoing attempts to rehabilitate his public image... or his supposed separation from the foundation. Apparently, not everyone is so forgiving to presume to isolate the 'charity proper' from the man's lies/deceit/fraud... the man who kept his close official ties to his foundation right to the very end. But if you're the forgiving type, if you want to, in isolation, focus entirely on the charitable good of the foundation... is it the role of Hockey Canada to make a decision that presents a national/worldwide image of Canada that supersedes the official image as conveyed through Canada's official red&white colours? Some are saying that this is no 3rd uniform extension on a past historical uniform worn... some are saying this is a direct corporate sellout by Hockey Canada to Nike/Forzani Group.

Much ado about nothing waldo.

The CDN Jrs wore Saskatchewan colours for the opener there, the Women wore Pink in the inaugaral 97 game and again in 07.

The idea is to auction them off for charity after the one game . They will be back to the red white and black for the second game.

I think people have a bad tAste in their mouth thinking Lance is involved but he isnt and has been divested of his charity

That said....Go Canada Go...and the model pictured? Tessa Bonhomme, Defenceman...... hubba hubba !

Edited by guyser

Much ado about nothing waldo.

... the Women wore Pink in the inaugaral 97 game and again in 07

apparently, much ado about something for many... given the response coming forward in the last couple of days. "Pink In/At The Rink" has been a long-standing somewhat generic campaign, one focused on woman's breast cancer, one that has grown across all levels of hockey over decades now. And one that has direct and focused ties to women. A lot of the campaign extensions simply relies upon the iconic pink ribbon as badges/decals/pins being applied to existing uniforms... but, yes, a lot of team uniforms have been changed to pink colour variants.

this one's 'generic cancer'... will we see a uniform for heart disease... one for Diabetes... one for Alzheimer... for MS... for Lupus... etc., etc., etc. A different National Team uniform for every distinct tournament'? And yes, many people don't separate the foundation from Armstrong... or the sponsorship Nike provides to team members from the Nike-Livestrong ties.

Edited by waldo

Yes she's a very pretty women...times a changing....wasn't that long ago when our hockey hero's did'nt have teeth, hair, or huge stashes....Much like the flyers team in the 70's 80's...remember bobby clarke...

or thoughtful response concerned over corporate image ties/projection superseding national identity

Dont think I agree with that waldo. The uni is the same except for the colours. The design is the same, CANADA is prominent.

And if what you say is true, then why no outcry was ever launched when it was done on at least 4 occassions prior?

Methinks its because of Lance himself and the loathing his name conjures, and I am in that group, but I know he is not part of it any more.

Charity is the goal here....after the publicity that is.

And if what you say is true, then why no outcry was ever launched when it was done on at least 4 occasions prior?

Methinks its because of Lance himself and the loathing his name conjures, and I am in that group, but I know he is not part of it any more.

Charity is the goal here....after the publicity that is.

yes - Armstrong is a part of it... perhaps the biggest part for many. If you read through online comments a significant number of people simply don't trust anything Armstrong said/says about distancing himself from the foundation that became such a profile image projection point for him - perhaps a part of that also reflects on the somewhat muted response the foundation had to Armstrong's lies/deceit/fraud. The Nike sponsorship tie is also raised by many who see this as simply another extension of the direct Nike monetary sponsorship provided to many of the team players... the issue gets twisted into a negative slag against the HarperConservatives for not properly funding Hockey Canada - that this corporate sponsorship shifts some of the focus away from the charity itself.

as for previous occurrences, I'm personally only aware of the pink uniform support for breast cancer. I also think the way the media fired this one up in the last days has brought the recognition to people that might not have been there in regards to past occasions. Personally, for me, if they felt a charitable recognition was needed, I would have preferred something like a black&yellow arm-band...

I noticed the uniforms are the same as years past except for the yellow bands.

Recall CDN mens have a black jersey that they wear on occassion.

A nice win last night, and the return match up (generally accepted) should be as entertaining.

All told, sweaters are much ado about nothing.

Watched the final game last night. (Actually had a ticket package, so saw a bunch of games live at Scotia Bank Place.)

Gotta say... god, was the officiating horrible. Not just in the gold medal game, but all throughout the tournament. Lots of cases where the ref interfered (getting hit with the puck), inconsistencies with penalty calls, etc. Not saying that Canada definitely would have won (after all, some of the penalties we did take were valid, and we were greatly out-shot by the Americans). But it certainly tarnishes the victory by the Americans. (Not blaming their team at all... they did play a good game.)

I think the most telling point came during the awards ceremony. The Canadians clapped/cheered politely for the Americans. But the referees got some sort of award/medal, pretty much everyone booed them.

Only saw parts of it but the Americans were carrying the play through much of what I did see.

Pretty much.

The Americans were bigger and stronger. Kessel is a good one although I wouldnt put her as the best ever as some scribes have said.

Teams are evenly matched for the most part and the won/loss column proves that.

Want to bet Team USA would trade this championship for a Gold Medal in Socchi ?