Pope Francis the First

Boges

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would it not be okay for him to say that, in these days, people kill in the name of Islam, and then point out the last time that someone killed in the name of Catholicism?

It would be okay by me, but he probably has to be more diplomatic than that. He can always be forgiven for lying.

As a practicing Catholic but following church doctrine as a "cafeteria catholic", I find the current Pope to be very progressive and a fine leader for Catholics. I think he is doing a very good job leading a following of over 1 billion and giving meaning to most of those who believe the doctrine of the church.

This is Faith - either you believe or not. To those who believe, it gives comfort and solace. If you do not believe, then good for you.

Find your own meaning of life and leave those who are comfortable with their answers that give them peace.

I don't know how strong the catholic church is still in Latin-America but probably much stronger than in Europe where even in the nominally catholic countries religion has become almost irrelevant.

The church covered it up and moved the predators around so they wouldn't be caught...

I don't think they moved them so they wouldn't get caught. They moved them, but often put them through what they hoped would be rehabilitation - which given such people can't be rehabilitated was a waste of time. But nobody took child sexual abuse seriously back then, not the police not schools, not other churches,not the medical profession, not even families.

'Investigated' ... by the church ... in secret

They also call for the victim to take an oath of secrecy at the time of making a complaint to Church officials.

It involved the confessional. Everything about confessions, and their secrecy is taken exceedingly seriously by the Church.

And I'm not saying the church handled it properly. But then, nobody else did back then either. Kids who told their parents got slapped. Kids who told their teachers got suspended. Kids who told police got ignored.

The percentage of Catholic clergy involved in child sexual abuse was the same as in the general population. Not much to brag about, given it's the Church, but that hardly makes it pedophile central either.

It involved the confessional. Everything about confessions, and their secrecy is taken exceedingly seriously by the Church.

And I'm not saying the church handled it properly. But then, nobody else did back then either. Kids who told their parents got slapped. Kids who told their teachers got suspended. Kids who told police got ignored.

The percentage of Catholic clergy involved in child sexual abuse was the same as in the general population. Not much to brag about, given it's the Church, but that hardly makes it pedophile central

Pffft!

You'really being intentionally misleading.

Fine. Go ahead. Be part of the cover up of chronic child sexual abuse in the Catholic church.

I'm providing the information for anyone who may want to know the truth.

You don't.

Can you get your head any farther up there!

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/14/world/europe/cardinals-elect-new-pope.html?_r=0

It's nice they went away from picking a stuffy European.

So how long will it take for people to try and associate him with protecting pedophiles?

His achilles tendon is his former ties with the Argentinian military junta that killed thousands of people and took their children and gave them to military officers who could not have children. That same junta killed priests who were defending the poor and Pope Francis is said to have refused to come to their defense.

I am sure you read those stories.

In terms of comparison to the last Pope he appears to be far more friendly and open and compassionate.

Francis is a Jesuit. I believe they picked a Jesuit to clean up the pedophilia and corruption seeing Jesuits as above corruption but some Catholics tell me Jesuits have all kinds of nasty secrets too.

Not withstanding that and I defer to Catholics on their leader, for me a non Catholic, my subjective take on him is that he seems to be a positive compassionate leader. He has reached out to Muslim, shown genuine respect to Jews and non Catholics, tried to reconcile with other Orthodox Catholics and sounds more compassionate towards gay people although again I defer to gay Catholics on whether he is more tolerant or not.

From what I see so far I think he's a welcome change to the last one. Bottom line, what matters is what Catholics think. I hope they are happy with him. I feel bad for Catholics when they don't trust their leaders and find them out of touch or corrupt.

Edited by Rue

I don't know how strong the catholic church is still in Latin-America but probably much stronger than in Europe where even in the nominally catholic countries religion has become almost irrelevant.

Its still strong in Central and South America if you look at surveys, but interestingly the evangelical movements have caught on offering competition now to what once as a Catholic Christian monopoly.

Only a generation ago in 1989 when the communist regimes of Eastern-Europe were overthrown in Poland the Catholic church was considered a major force for change.

The difference couldn't be starker today. For today's Poles under the age of 35 religion is really irrelevant.

Yes the evangelical movements are making in-roads across South America if you look at the surveys.

Many of which preach homophobia and hatred, lots of these in Africa too. These aren't protestants.

Hmmm, interesting. I wonder what's behind it all.

The commonest thing standing out is usually the conservative nature of the most ardent adherents and their prescriptions for the ills of the world.

You mean adherents of the religious beliefs, right? Yes I agree.

No organization was any better, including police forces, teachers, governments and media. All of them ignored reports of child sex, often punishing

whoever reported them.

I agree.

In fact having worked with it in the courts so many years is remarkable how institutions engage in the very same behaviour.

If an institution gets too many layers, and those layers of authority are not accountable for their behaviour and can operate with

secrecy, which is the case in so many insitutions whether they be educational, government, business or religious, the corruption and

bad hebaviour is cultivated.

Corrupt behaviour flourishes when it has two things-a cover, i.e., secrecy and power to control others.

Pedophiles are attracted to institutions because they can operate under the cover of that secrecy and their power gives them

access to those weaker then them.

For a pedophile they need opportunity and access to the vulnerable and that's what institutions can give them.

All organized religions have faced and face this issue.

Pedophilia is just one problem or phenomena of this unaccountable secrecy that cultivates abuse like water does to fungus or mold.

Its ironic. Not just Christianity but all religions have corrupted themselves with institutional frameworks that ferment and incite

abuse of power.

Edited by Rue