Another five added to Senate

Topaz

The Pm has appointed five more people as senators and if this keeps going and the Tories are voted in again, then we may as well change Canada's name to Toryville. The senate is suppose to the "second thought" from Parliament and if the PMs are going to stack the senate, like the Liberals, did then its not a second thought democracy. I like to see rules change on this as how many one party can have and spread it so ALL parties can be represented. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/pm-harper-appoints-5-senators-173143764.html

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to see where there are a large number to be elected or appointed, that the seating government does have the advantage over the parties but we must have other party members IN the senate to have a second thought or why have the senator at all? maybe that what the Tories are trying to do, get rid of it by making it a dictatorship senate. I do believe Martin did appoint a NDP at one time.

I like to see where there are a large number to be elected or appointed, that the seating government does have the advantage over the parties but we must have other party members IN the senate to have a second thought or why have the senator at all?

Um... What?

Do you or do you not have any suggested changes to the rules?

The purpose of the senate was to have a "second thought" on Bills sent over from Parliament and where amends are made and sent back to Parliament for agreement or rejections. IF, the senate is stacked with one party favours, like the Liberals did, then its not a second thought, or doing what is good for the people, its going along with the PM. So IF everyone that the PM appoints does what HE says, then its not a democracy. Am I right or wrong?

IF, the senate is stacked with one party favours, like the Liberals did, then its not a second thought, or doing what is good for the people, its going along with the PM.

What makes them go along with the prime minister? Unlike as it is with MPs, the prime minister has no threat to hold over a senator should the latter not wish to follow the prime minister's diktats. In fact, senators appointed on Harper's advice have rejected Harper's own stated plans; on Senate reform, for example.

The purpose of the senate was to have a "second thought" on Bills sent over from Parliament...

The Senate is also tasked with being the first to think about something. How about putting senate proposals that politicians refuse to follow or ignore to the people?

Proposals for example that stem from The Senate Special Committee on Illegal Drugs or OUT OF THE SHADOWS AT LAST, Transforming Mental Health, Mental Illness and Addiction Services in Canada.

These are huge issues that have been lingering for decades if not longer that for all intents and purposes look as if they're going to linger for decades to come. It's appalling just how determinedly resistant to change our system can be. Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way comes to mind but I don't know to whom it's most applicable - politicians, Parliament, the Queen, us, senators. The baffling conundrum is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

Edited by eyeball

What makes them go along with the prime minister? Unlike as it is with MPs, the prime minister has no threat to hold over a senator should the latter not wish to follow the prime minister's diktats.

I think the answer to that is pretty obvious. Sure they're not bound to obey the PM. That's the point of the position after all, they should be non-partisan. It's impossible to avoid being partisan the way we do it now. Every party in power takes advantage of its position to add Senators that they know will be sympathetic to party ideals.

In fact, senators appointed on Harper's advice have rejected Harper's own stated plans; on Senate reform, for example.

Bwahahah... good one!

There's no way anyone could force them to be part of the reform, so that doesn't hold. Another elected house is a waste of time. What we need is equalization of numbers for each province, and a change so that the 10 other Crowns in the provinces pick the senators, and not the Crown in Ottawa. That would make the place more accountable, would allow it to be taken more seriously, and would avoid the deadlock that happens in Australia and The United States.

Edited by Smallc

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but didn't the first set of senators Harper had them in promise to do what he wanted? I'm not sure if their is written contract between them and the PM. I think it was term limits for senators.

They don't have to follow that, I don't think.

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but didn't the first set of senators Harper had them in promise to do what he wanted? I'm not sure if their is written contract between them and the PM. I think it was term limits for senators.

They promise the world but when they get there and realize how nice it is to have those benefits without fear of losing an election they quickly change their mind...

I think the NDP want it gone also. I've always thought we should have an elected Senate but only so many Senators per province,

I've seen some pretty inflammatory comments elsewhere about these appts. What is the PM supposed to do if he can't get the provinces to agree to elections,.. leave them all open for the next gov't to make their appointments.

They promise the world but when they get there and realize how nice it is to have those benefits without fear of losing an election they quickly change their mind...

Exactly what Harper did in the case of his senate promises.