Global Darkening Threat From Environmental Degradation

jbg

Today, it was pitch black around 5:00 p.m., give or take. Not 5 months ago, that happened around 9:00 p.m., or 8:00 p.m. adjusted for time change. It first started getting steadily darker, and then colder.

At the rate we're going, and probably because of human activity, we will have 24/7 darkness and a climate not unlike Franklin Island.

We need some drastic action, maybe IPCC involvement.

Help me, I'm scared.

We can play this game too.

I saw a brick fall off a tall building towards my head. I don't need to expend the energy to move, though, because who can say for sure what's going to happen in the future ?

I saw a brick fall off a tall building towards my head. I don't need to expend the energy to move, though, because who can say for sure what's going to happen in the future ?

There are at least three choices in this scenario:

1) do nothing

2) get out of the way

3) rapidly try to build an anti-gravity device which will stop the brick in mid air.

When it comes to climate change 2) are the people calling for adaptation as necessary 3) are the people insisting on CO2 reductions.

Edited by TimG

Yup. I didn't scrape frost off my windshield this morning....the frost came in and vacuumed my rug.

That frost by rights shouldn't have been there, as a result of global warming.

Global darkening continues. Sunrise later than yesterday. It got dark earlier yesterday than the day before and it snowed a bit.

Why do you think responding to an obvious troll constitutes a meaningful discussion?

it's been your position since evah! In spite of your long-standing, ad nauseum, claims to be a "real skeptic", I can't recall you ever challenging the most ridiculous claims of the ever present cadre of MLW deniers... overt deniers!

I don't know, Waldo, I'm inclined to accept TimG's remark at face value.

Look at it this way: if someone were to post, repeatedly, that climate change was literally poised to destroy the Earth within weeks, I would think that this is an inane and false assertion...and, also, worse than useless. And I might call him on it...

....or I might think, "why bother responding to trollish lunacy?"

Edited by bleeding heart

Look at it this way: if someone were to post, repeatedly, that climate change was literally poised to destroy the Earth within weeks, I would think that this is an inane and false assertion...and, also, worse than useless. And I might call him on it...

I would likely give that one a pass too. I respond to false or exaggerated claims I hear made elsewhere in the media. Such a comment would not meet that criteria.

As for correcting skeptics who get the basic science wrong - I do that from time to time. It is just not a priority.

As for correcting skeptics who get the basic science wrong - I do that from time to time. It is just not a priority.

No, and there's no need to indulge in a (faulty, in my view) premise of "balance" on all things, just to display one's sense of fairness, etc. On the other hand, "from time to time," as you put it, IS a good thing, if for no other reason than that it shows one is not an insane ideologue.

There are at least three choices in this scenario:

1) do nothing

2) get out of the way

3) rapidly try to build an anti-gravity device which will stop the brick in mid air.

When it comes to climate change 2) are the people calling for adaptation as necessary 3) are the people insisting on CO2 reductions.

Both, but more importantly most people are asking that authorities simply start taking climate change seriously in the 1st place and start listening to the vast vast vast majority of scientists who for years and years and years now have been consistently saying it is a serious issue that needs addressing.

That frost by rights shouldn't have been there, as a result of global warming.

Global darkening continues. Sunrise later than yesterday. It got dark earlier yesterday than the day before and it snowed a bit.

Ridiculous analogies like this are just noise on the serious discussion happening...

Both, but more importantly most people are asking that authorities simply start taking climate change seriously in the 1st place and start listening to the vast vast vast majority of scientists who for years and years and years now have been consistently saying it is a serious issue that needs addressing.

Please explain why scientists have any qualifications to make suggestions on what to do about climate change? They know nothing of economics or engineering or power generation. They live entirely in a world of computer models and dubious data that can be manipulated as needed to produce the results that conform to their preconceptions. Their opinions on such things is worthless.

Also please show me some evidence that vast majority of people want anything more than lip service. It seems like every time politicians try to do something that affects the majority of voters they get voted out of office.

Edited by TimG

Are they really making a lot of suggestions ? Are they just saying do something about it ?

'wait and see' as an valid response to the science. Any scientist that rejects this answer and says politicians must 'do something' is pushing for policies even though they have no qualifications that would allow them to determine if 'doing something' is the best response. Edited by TimG

Also please show me some evidence that vast majority of people want anything more than lip service. It seems like every time politicians try to do something that affects the majority of voters they get voted out of office.

You missed the thread about support for action?

Please explain why scientists have any qualifications to make suggestions on what to do about climate change?

They're just saying address the issue, or ignore it at our peril.

They know nothing of economics or engineering or power generation. They live entirely in a world of computer models and dubious data that can manipulated as needed to produce the results that conform to their preconceptions.

So I should ignore the references to economic alarmists that you routinely cite?

Okay, if you say so.

Edited by eyeball

Are they really making a lot of suggestions ? Are they just saying do something about it ?

TimG wants adaptation only suggestions... those coming from poli-sci types like Lomborg, Pielke, et al... those coming from his favoured type economists like Tol... those coming from his multitude of "fake skeptic blog scientists", you know... the type of "scientists" that have TimG's kind of favoured expertise!

'wait and see' as an valid response to the science. Any scientist that rejects this answer and says politicians must 'do something' is pushing for policies even though they have no qualifications that would allow them to determine if 'doing something' is the best response.

'do something' is an entirely valid response to the situation - to urge politicians to at least look at the problem and examine it...

'do something' is an entirely valid response to the situation - to urge politicians to at least look at the problem and examine it...

I am not saying it is not a valid response. I am saying that climate scientists have no qualifications that should make us care about their opinion. They are simply speaking as a citizen which means their opinion has no more relevance than a post on an internet discussion board. Edited by TimG

I am not saying it is not a valid response. I am saying that climate scientists have no qualifications that should make us care about their opinion. They are simply speaking as a citizen which means their opinion has no more relevance than a post on an internet discussion board.

Michael... you're simply falling into another standard TimG strawman! As has been done many times in the past, asking TimG to provide examples of the type of climate scientist "suggestion, policy directive" he so broadly and generally rails against, typically results in his going mute!

Tim, it is the vast vast vast majority of scientists including economists who are telling us to pay more attention to this issue.

You're suggesting that ordinary people, non-scientists that is, should just ignore that vast vast vast majority citing their lack of qualifications while insisting we should only pay heed to the very small tiny minuscule minority of scientists you subscribe to.

It's just plain nuts.