Global Darkening Threat From Environmental Degradation

jbg

A little-noticed but highly dangerous problem has been developing for at least five months or so, probably longer. Both cities and rural areas from Washington DC to Kittery, Maine, from New York City to the Golden Gate, and even in Canada from St. John Newfoundland to Prince Rupert British Columbia have reported shortening hours of daylight. Already, daylight has been wiped out in places as remote from each other as Spitzbergen to Alert, Nunavut to Barrow Alaska.

Just as an example, in New York City we have dropped from over 15 hours of daylight to just over 9 hours in recent months. An effort was made back in early November to stop the trend. This has worked for the mornings, temporarily but been counterproductive at night.

At the very least,Barack Obama and either the Queen or PM Harper should commission a joint study, perhaps an international Royal Commission, to investigate to see if the problem can be solved. Or perhaps get the U.N. involved.

I personally suspect that humans have been wrecking the earth with impunity and now we're paying.

Edited by jbg

What do you mean, shortened hours of daylight. Actual hours of daylight are defined by the rotation and tilt of the Earth on its axis. This follows its normal pattern. Are you talking about reduced daylight due to cloud cover?

Or is this another mocking, tongue in cheek jbg thread...

No.

Industrial activity and tailpipe emissions have caused an alarming loss of daylight recently, and temperatures have dropped sharply. I'm scared.

No.

Industrial activity and tailpipe emissions have caused an alarming loss of daylight recently, and temperatures have dropped sharply. I'm scared.

So now you're scared it's getting too cold huh?

I'm sorry but it's really hard to tell with you anymore, jbg. You've just gotten to that point now

;)

Exactly. I'm fairly sure this is supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek humourous (?) post but since the content of this post ignores the idea that scientific ideas are supported by debatable and provable evidence the humour falls flat, and it goes from being a poignant witty observation to an obtuse joke on the verge of a troll.

I don't think that a thread like this can go anywhere good - unless we're planning to rehash the entire topic of the validity of the science in climate change from the beginning... again.

Exactly. I'm fairly sure this is supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek humourous (?) post but since the content of this post ignores the idea that scientific ideas are supported by debatable and provable evidence the humour falls flat, and it goes from being a poignant witty observation to an obtuse joke on the verge of a troll.

You know me better than that by now. You and I agree on little, but I am a serious poster. Granted, this post was affected by maybe a bit too much egg nog.

I don't think that a thread like this can go anywhere good - unless we're planning to rehash the entire topic of the validity of the science in climate change from the beginning... again.

I think it needs to be discussed, again.

What do you mean, shortened hours of daylight. Actual hours of daylight are defined by the rotation and tilt of the Earth on its axis. This follows its normal pattern. Are you talking about reduced daylight due to cloud cover?

Dont try to reason with it...

I noticed that yesterday wasn't quite as bad as a few days ago. Maybe my idea of a Royal Commission or U.N. intervention is working. The U.N. seems to jump on problems fast.

• 10 months later...

Today, it was pitch black around 5:00 p.m., give or take. Not 5 months ago, that happened around 9:00 p.m., or 8:00 p.m. adjusted for time change. It first started getting steadily darker, and then colder.

At the rate we're going, and probably because of human activity, we will have 24/7 darkness and a climate not unlike Franklin Island.

We need some drastic action, maybe IPCC involvement.

Help me, I'm scared.

Edited by Charles Anthony
thread merged

I hereby award you an attaboy for your recycling efforts! Think green, hey!

I get worried at some point around this time most years. Maybe it's unfounded. But maybe others also panic about cyclical matters.

Also, do you have anything better to do than memorize everyone's posts?

Also, do you have anything better to do than memorize everyone's posts?

I simply offered you a genuine expression acknowledging your greenish recycling effort. The last time you mentioned how scared you were in this same regard, almost a year ago now, another MLW member suggested your prior thread initiation bordered on a trollish attempt at humour... or science denial. You protested your seriousness but suggested your post might have been influenced by eggnog.

your expressed seriousness warrants a serious consideration/response. I believe you're simply dealing with a SAD condition... perhaps you just need a HappyLight! The waldo is here for you.

c26-B00761HREI-6a-l.jpg