Mass shooting

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Derek L

Do you have a cite for that coming from anyone other than the NRA?

You're suggesting the United States Army is incapable of training its MPs, and has to go to the NRA, a civilian outfit, to teach its firearms instructors? I would find that incredible.

Not offhand, but I fail to see why it would mater.......As to Police/Military being "incapable", I would say not, but that hasn't been the case since the early 60s.....Clearly for smaller organizations, it wouldn’t be economically viable, but even with the larger departments and the military, why the duplication in training? The NRA has been offering for decades a solution to a requirement from everyone from a small county Sherriff’s department, a large city police to the military policing branches of the US military

Guest American Woman

Putting guns in schools wont stop a mass shooter at a movie theater. What will? I don't know lets study the problem so we can have a real discussion with facts and figures instead of "once my cousin had a gun and stopped a robbery" that is a story. That is all it is.

I'm just hearing about this for the first time because someone I know called my attention to it; it's a would-be shooting thwarted by an off duty sheriff working security at a theater in San Antonio:

A man was shot by an off-duty deputy after investigators say he opened fire at a South Side theater Sunday night, injuring one person.

Sgt. Castellano was working her side job that night as a security guard for the theater.

-----------------------------------

Movie-goers in the lobby, bathroom, and some theaters reported hearing multiple gunshots. The gunshots caused people inside the theater to panic.

"Everybody was just coming out of the side of the theater, running out the emergency exits. And everyone was screaming and running," a woman who was at the theater told us.

Garcia was finally stopped by an off-duty Bexar County Sheriff's Department officer who was working security at the theater.

http://www.woai.com/...QpvL7F8WIQ.cspx

http://www.woai.com/...DrsHjXx2kQ.cspx

So, at almost the same time people were saying armed security guards wouldn't be a good solution to preventing mass killings, apparently an armed security guard most likely saved lives; yet this did not play out in the media the way the controversy did. I don't recall reading about it here.

Guest Derek L

I'm just hearing about this for the first time because someone I know called my attention to it; it's a would-be shooting thwarted by an off duty sheriff working security at a theater in San Antonio:

A man was shot by an off-duty deputy after investigators say he opened fire at a South Side theater Sunday night, injuring one person.

Sgt. Castellano was working her side job that night as a security guard for the theater.

Movie-goers in the lobby, bathroom, and some theaters reported hearing multiple gunshots. The gunshots caused people inside the theater to panic.

"Everybody was just coming out of the side of the theater, running out the emergency exits. And everyone was screaming and running," a woman who was at the theater told us.

Garcia was finally stopped by an off-duty Bexar County Sheriff's Department officer who was working security at the theater.

So, at almost the same time people were saying armed security guards wouldn't be a good solution to preventing mass killings, apparently an armed security guard most likely saved lives; yet this did not play out in the media the way the controversy did. I don't recall reading about it here.

Oh you never hear about when CCW “works”……..Doesn’t sell papers.

Yah this is a great example. The guy shot out the windshield of a cop car and the cop got out and shot him. Don't see your point. I think cops should have guns. I don't think madmen who shoot at cop cars should have guns.

Guest American Woman

Yah this is a great example. The guy shot out the windshield of a cop car and the cop got out and shot him. Don't see your point. I think cops should have guns. I don't think madmen who shoot at cop cars should have guns.

Did you read my post, much less the article??

I'll repeat it for you, and if you still don't get it, it says it all:

Did you read my post, much less the article??

I'll repeat it for you, and if you still don't get it, it says it all:

Yah this guy fried his gun into the air several times as well as at doorways instead of people. He could have easily killed plenty of people before he was stopped by three police officers. One off duty, one working as security, and one in the car he shot the windshield out of. Again I think the police should have guns. I think they go threw years of training and screening and them having guns is fine by me. I don't think we should give guns to madmen who go out and shoot up malls as their call for help. What is your point?

Guest American Woman
Yah this guy fried his gun into the air several times as well as at doorways instead of people. He could have easily killed plenty of people before he was stopped by three police officers. One off duty, one working as security, and one in the car he shot the windshield out of. Again I think the police should have guns. I think they go threw years of training and screening and them having guns is fine by me. I don't think we should give guns to madmen who go out and shoot up malls as their call for help. What is your point?

My point is that having an armed security guard at the theater likely saved lives. Those who were at the theater feel that way. You really didn't get that?

Furthermore, this hardly brought on any reaction. When guns save lives, we don't hear about it. I have to wonder how often this is the case.

Edited by American Woman

My point is that having an armed security guard at the theater likely saved lives. Those who were at the theater feel that way. You really didn't get that?

Furthermore, this hardly brought on any reaction. When guns save lives, we don't hear about it. I have to wonder how often this is the case.

But the article says he ran into the theater shooing the gun into the air. I think the shooter not pointing his gun at people probably saved lives.

Guest American Woman

But the article says he ran into the theater shooing the gun into the air. I think the shooter not pointing his gun at people probably saved lives.

He shot one person, and of course even random shooting could result in death had it continued longer, so I think being shot himself likely saved lives. But you think whatever you will. As I said, it's all quite telling.

I am getting sick of these pro gun dunces who think that having a mall cop with a gun will stop mass shootings! Back when former Congresswoman - Gabrielle Giffords was shot, and others died during the attack, one of the trained, armed security officers made a statement to the media that he almost shot one of the campaign workers in the immediate confusion when the shooting started....thinking that the man was the actual gunman. If there's a mass shooting at an NRA event, I can imagine the collateral damage when a room full of idiots start pulling out their guns and start shooting!

It seems obvious that there are situations where guns are necessary, but if you live in a city, and think that carrying a handgun is essential for your safety, you're either living in the wrong place, or have an exaggerated concept of risk. Better to learn a little self-defense training than pointing a gun at someone you might think could pose a threat to you.

I am getting sick of these pro gun dunces who think that having a mall cop with a gun will stop mass shootings! Back when former Congresswoman - Gabrielle Giffords was shot, and others died during the attack, one of the trained, armed security officers made a statement to the media that he almost shot one of the campaign workers in the immediate confusion when the shooting started....thinking that the man was the actual gunman. If there's a mass shooting at an NRA event, I can imagine the collateral damage when a room full of idiots start pulling out their guns and start shooting!

It seems obvious that there are situations where guns are necessary, but if you live in a city, and think that carrying a handgun is essential for your safety, you're either living in the wrong place, or have an exaggerated concept of risk. Better to learn a little self-defense training than pointing a gun at someone you might think could pose a threat to you.

Here is a good story where someone had a gun in a public place. What happened was everyone opened fire on that person and 5 people were shot by the police trying to shoot the guy with the gun. ALL INJURIES to civilians were caused by the "Good guys" funny how American women doesn't cite this story.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/26/us/new-york-empire-state-shooting/index.html

He shot one person, and of course even random shooting could result in death had it continued longer, so I think being shot himself likely saved lives. But you think whatever you will. As I said, it's all quite telling.

I am just citing what the article said AW I am sorry you don't like the facts for your own story. Facts matter though.

Guest American Woman

I am just citing what the article said AW I am sorry you don't like the facts for your own story. Facts matter though.

Really? The person writing the article stated for a fact that if the shooter had continued his random shooting that no one else would have been hit? This is something someone can know? He could have just gone on shooting forever and no one would have been killed? Again. You do realize that one person was hit, right? But didn't die? Yet it's a fact that no one else would have been killed if the armed security guard hadn't shot him? Oddly enough, that's not how those who were in the theater felt. Go figure, eh? They should have know they were all safe, that he wasn't going to shoot anyone - just because he was there with a gun, shooting it off.

Good Lord. The length some will go to in order to avoid seeing what they don't want to see. I can just imagine if the NRA were to say, 'Sure he had a gun, but everyone was safe. He didn't intend to kill anyone, He was shooting at random/shooting it into the air' in an attempt to downplay such a gun incident. rolleyes.gif

Guest American Woman

rolleyes.gif Wow

'Wow" indeed. rolleyes.gif

Punked was definitely not citing what the article said. The articles said: "The employees inside the restaurant fled out a side door into the parking lot. Investigators said Garcia began chasing the employees and continued firing at them as they ran through the parking lot and into the Mayan Palace Theatre next door.

Garcia then ran inside the movie theater, where he continued his search for the restaurant employees. Movie-goers in the lobby, bathroom, and some theaters reported hearing multiple gunshots. The gunshots caused people inside the theater to panic."

Sheriff Ortiz called the two heroes for potentially saving many lives Sunday night when 19-year-old Jesus Manuel Garcia entered the lobby, apparently chasing a coworker, and started shooting."

But yeah. He was simply shooting into the air, and that's why no one was killed. The security guard had nothing to do with preventing deaths.

rolleyes.gif

Guest American Woman

And you weren't responding to what he said. You were forming your own line of argument, not responding to the actual point, as per the norm.

Get off your high horse and respond to what I said rather than making your usual judgments about me. If you can't do that, try really hard to stay out of it. Thank you in advance.

Guest American Woman

Evidently he was "chasing a coworker." But you're right. It was probably because the security guard at the theatre had a gun. That must be why he didn't kill more people.

Good to see someone getting it. I would hate to think ya'll believe a stray bullet couldn't have killed anyone other than those he "was shooting at" because random shooting only results in the intended target getting hit/killed - and such people with guns on a rampage never shoot anyone other than the intended. What an ignorant mindset that would be, eh?

Get off your high horse and respond to what I said rather than making your usual judgments about me. If you can't do that, try really hard to stay out of it. Thank you in advance.

This is rich, considering you're one of those posters that whines about censorship and other posters allegedly telling you what you can and can't post. Good to see you don't adhere to your own principles.