Open letter to UN Secretary General from 125+ Scientists

Moonbox

Perhaps this is in the wrong sub-forum, but this is a pretty solid follow-up to a lot of the discussions that we've been having here confirming a lot of what I, and others have been saying. Please note that the article isn't flat out denouncing man-made climate change. It's merely pointing out some of the giant gaping holes in current climate arguments (ie the planet hasn't warmed for heading towards 20 years) and that the claims that green house gases are responsible for more, and more damaging, extreme weather events are bogus.

Here's the article:

http://opinion.financialpost.com/2012/11/29/open-climate-letter-to-un-secretary-general-current-scientific-knowledge-does-not-substantiate-ban-ki-moon-assertions-on-weather-and-climate-say-125-scientists/

Of note is the suggestion that any attempted reductions we're making today are going to be grossy expensive and almost entirely ineffectual, and to abandon the current course and move towards mitigation rather than prevention with currently available data.

Edited by Moonbox

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps this is in the wrong sub-forum, but this is a pretty solid follow-up to a lot of the discussions that we've been having here confirming a lot of what I, and others have been saying. Please note that the article isn't flat out denouncing man-made climate change. It's merely pointing out some of the giant gaping holes in current climate arguments (ie the planet hasn't warmed for heading towards 20 years) and that the claims that green house gases are responsible for more, and more damaging, extreme weather events are bogus.

Here's the article:

http://opinion.finan...125-scientists/

Of note is the suggestion that any attempted reductions we're making today are going to be grossy expensive and almost entirely ineffectual, and to abandon the current course and move towards mitigation rather than prevention with currently available data.

There are some dubious names on that list.

J. Scott Armstrong, PhD, Professor of Marketing

How many publications on climate science in this bunch me wonders.

1. William Happer, PhD, Professor, Department of Physics, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, U.S.A.

There are some accredited heavy-hitters on that List!!

Impressive list of talent...

William Happer has spoken at UofT on a few occasions! Great speaker, great mind

There are some dubious names on that list.

How many publications on climate science in this bunch me wonders.

Michael I thought you smarter than that, or at least less of a hack. Come on man. There's 129 names on that list, 90+% of them are PhD's, and you're taking exception to the fact that ONE of them is a marketing PhD (one who happens to specialize in analyzing models and forecasts - climate ones in particular).

Both sides are guilty of publishing these kinds of lists. They are absolutely meaningless unless they have actual done some real WORK to arrive at these conclusions, and are willing to explain it.

Umm...I'm pretty sure most of these guys HAVE done their own work. If you look at their credentials and their areas of expertise, you'd assume that they know something about the topic....

Edited by Moonbox

Michael I thought you smarter than that, or at least less of a hack. Come on man. There's 129 names on that list, 90+% of them are PhD's, and you're taking exception to the fact that ONE of them is a marketing PhD (one who happens to specialize in analyzing models and forecasts - climate ones in particular).

Umm...I'm pretty sure most of these guys HAVE done their own work. If you look at their credentials and their areas of expertise, you'd assume that they know something about the topic....

I've learned from the past, you see, and energy consultants, geologists (for some reason) and weather men seem to always show up on these 'open letters', petitions etc.

So people who aren't getting paid to claim they believe in AGW?

What climate scientists are being paid to say they believe in climate change? Their opinions are formed upon where their research leads them, unlike many of the "skeptics".

I've learned from the past, you see, and energy consultants, geologists (for some reason) and weather men seem to always show up on these 'open letters', petitions etc.

and the irrelevant tim ball a geographer who claims to be a climatologist at the U of Winnipeg which didn't have a climatology department...he's a paid energy sector shill that works for "friends of science" ...

So people who aren't getting paid to claim they believe in AGW? That increases their credibility.

go ahead name some legit national science organizations that dispute CC...the list of national and international science organizations that do support CC/AGW is a very long one....

So people who aren't getting paid to claim they believe in AGW? That increases their credibility.

If you applied that theory to every profession you'd be in a strange state of mind most of the time.

"I'm not going to go to that traditional doctor, he's paid to perpetuate the traditional view of medicine."

The analogy is a reach, but my point is that there is a professional body of experts in this field (and every field) and it's just easy and lazy to point out that they're paid for their work.

Rhythms of Life unveils, in simple language, Dr. Susan Crockford’s ground-breaking scientific theory on the role of thyroid hormone in evolution ...

Canada's 'climate expert'?

go ahead name some legit national science organizations that dispute CC...the list of national and international science organizations that do support CC/AGW is a very long one....

The letter did not dispute climate change. It stated that the UN should be working to mitigate the inevitable rather than spending vast fortunes on almost entirely hopeless efforts at reversal.

Edited by Argus

...it's just easy and lazy to point out that they're paid for their work.

The analogy is also nonsensical since climatologists will get paid to study climate regardless of whether global warming is happening or not...

The letter did not dispute climate change. It stated that the UN should be working to mitigate the inevitable rather than spending vast fortunes on almost entirely hopeless efforts at reversal.

Read the letter. They are indeed disputing climate change. It is the opening paragraph of the letter. "Global warming that has not occurred..."

They didn't dispute global warming by man. They stated, as a fact, that the world hasn't warmed anywhere NEAR what the climate models had predicted in their hysteria, and that this lack of warming couldn't have been responsible for things like Tropical Storm Sandy.

Their conclusion, ultimately, was that the science was unclear and that the politicking needs to stop.

there was another disingenuous attempt to claim no warming for the past 14 yrs just this past week claiming warming has plateaued since 1998...the kicker is the start date for the claim 1998, the record breaking el Nino year...it was a not so clever cherry picking of data....

The IPCC disputes the assertion that we're causing extreme weather.

rolleyes.gif you don't need to be a scientist to know that bs's, grade school science is all that's required, you cannot add energy into a system without effecting change, it's IMPOSSIBLE!...

and the IPCC does no such thing...here's the IPCC 594 page report on what you claim they didn't do...

http://www.ipcc-wg2....X-All_FINAL.pdf

Edited by wyly

Geologists study the history of the earth, and can see changes in the climate through history via ocean and lake sediments, fossils, glaciers and their carven paths and their rock/sediment remains. Geologist can also study ice and ice cores.

Read the letter. They are indeed disputing climate change. It is the opening paragraph of the letter. "Global warming that has not occurred..."

The letter didn't dispute climate change:

"Climate changes naturally all the time, sometimes dramatically."

The letter said that the earth hasn't warmed significantly, so technically they are disputing recent global warming not climate change.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Impressive list of talent...

*Looks at the list* or lack thereof.

It's a poorly formatted letter. Who cares if you have 125 'scientists', where is the raw data to back up their claim? Anyone can send a petition denouncing or demanding the most ridiculous of things without explaining in details why.

Edited by Sleipnir

Geologists study the history of the earth, and can see changes in the climate through history via ocean and lake sediments, fossils, glaciers and their carven paths and their rock/sediment remains. Geologist can also study ice and ice cores.

which doesn't make them experts on current AGW CC...they only verify what everybody already knows the earth experiences climate change

Haven't had a chance to read the letter yet, and no time right now, but it's hard to find fault with the summary at the top.

Policy actions that aim to reduce CO2 emissions are unlikely to influence future climate. Policies need to focus on preparation for, and adaptation to, all dangerous climatic events, however caused.