McGuinty Resigns as Premier of Ontario

Politics can suck sometimes huh?

Just to be clear, you'd have preferred an election to be called in early 2009.

Because no way Harper was going to allow a Dion led coalition take over. Polls immediately after the attempted takeover proved that the decision was very unpopular. Harper could also use the idea of a coalition as a fear tactic to help win a majority in 2011

Edited by Boges

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess. If you can't see the difference? It's obvious.

I already said I see the difference, Harper is not McGuinty.

Harper said he was taking a break for 2 months and said exactly when the House would sit again. Not so here. This is an infinite break that could last up to a year. Both times Harper did it, it was at the beginning of a session. McGuinty is canceling the Fall session with plenty of important work yet to be done.

Not so here is right, he is stepping down and has no idea when a conference can assemble to elect a new leader.

As for important work to be done, if one recalls, Dec of 2009 our and the worlds economic outlook was super rosy.....naw, nothing important to do back then either.

Anyway this thread is about McGuinty not Harper. Harper won a majority post-proroguments so it was a wise decision for him.

Will doing this end up helping McGuinty? I can't see how.

I have listened to talk radio blast McGuinty (rightfully so) and also heard the blowhards pass on Harpers prorogument. Hypocrits all. I figured if someone brought it up and said 'its different' I would call them on it.

But we both agree its nice to know McGuinty is leaving.

McDalton as the Federal Liberal Party leader would be hilarious! No chance a guy like that runs on his record Nationally. I really doubt he does it, or at least does it successfully. Didn't he say he wants to spend time with his family? laugh.png

Screwing public service employees, freezing their wages, and proroguing an elected House so he can "get things done"...

Yeah. Who the hell would vote for someone like that?

edit: Oh, right! Conservatives.

Edited by cybercoma

Screwing public service employees, freezing their wages, and proroguing an elected House so he can "get things done"...

Yeah. Who the hell would vote for someone like that?

edit: Oh, right! Conservatives.

Well that's not exactly why Dalton quit. There was scandal due to some power plants, that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

(Cue F-35, In and Out and Robocall references. rolleyes.gif )

BS and more BS - get a life

BubberMiley is partially right about one thing: McGuinty will never secure the leadership of the LPC, but he may be demented enough to run for it.

As far as the subject matter of the thread goes, McGuinty is just another leftist politician with a legacy of financial ruin who will never be seriously held accountable. Ontario is sort of like the Canadian California.

Well that's not exactly why Dalton quit. There was scandal due to some power plants, that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

(Cue F-35, In and Out and Robocall references. rolleyes.gif )

Although you probably already know this, his stated reason for leaving was to spend more time with his family. He said he reflected on his priorities in life after attending his daughter's wedding.

Aren't you the same poster that blamed the economic problem of Ontario on the global recession whenever people question why Harper puts all of his efforts into the thriving oil industry instead?

No, I always blame Ontario deficits on either Dalton or Rae. Besides, people that have an ounce of intelligence know that Canada--Harper et al, did the right thing. Ask the economic world...Oops! I forgot you're restricted to tunnel vision and thinking within the NDP box. BTW did you get the memo? Layton's dead.

I was having a beer (import) awaiting the announcement last eve when Dalton quit. I immediately switched to champagne.

Although you probably already know this, his stated reason for leaving was to spend more time with his family. He said he reflected on his priorities in life after attending his daughter's wedding.

Yeh like I'd believe anything that came out either side of that liars mouth.

And you believe him? laugh.png

It's funny that this new love for his family is happening when the Opposition is trying to get one your ministers on being in contempt of the House.

Edited by Boges

I can't see Dalton running for the Feds, he must know he wouldn't win, too much baggage. So who do the voters in Ontario chose. hudak said today he was proud to be apart of the Harris government! Well, he can be proud all he wants but I can't see him being the Premier, so I think the NDP . BUT who ever gets in, has a very huge mess and the voters won't be kind and if the NDP do get in, it could be another repeat of Rae government that being they have an uphill battle.

I can't see Dalton running for the Feds, he must know he wouldn't win, too much baggage. So who do the voters in Ontario chose. hudak said today he was proud to be apart of the Harris government! Well, he can be proud all he wants but I can't see him being the Premier, so I think the NDP . BUT who ever gets in, has a very huge mess and the voters won't be kind and if the NDP do get in, it could be another repeat of Rae government that being they have an uphill battle.

I agree, Topaz. We have very poor choices. Perhaps if ALL the parties used this "time out" to pick new leaders we would be better off!

Hudak is so boring he makes Steven Harper look like Iggy Pop!

If the provincial NDP are going to raise the rates of social assistance for the poor people i would actually want them to get in to give some attention for the poor people. The poor have been ignored for 2 decades now and it's time they got some attention by our government. I am scared of a NDP government but it may be necessary.

And you believe him? laugh.png

I do not believe him. I think this departure is a product of political "insider trading", if you catch my drift. He knows something more about the massive damage to Ontario that he's overseen than the rest of us already know.

Edited by kraychik

I agree, Topaz. We have very poor choices. Perhaps if ALL the parties used this "time out" to pick new leaders we would be better off!

Hudak is so boring he makes Steven Harper look like Iggy Pop!

Hudak who ? tongue.png

Quite frankly I'm rather sick of the Hudak bashing. Many leaders lost their first election. (Dalton and Harper both did) Hudak was cocky last year and thought that he could coast to a victory by not being too extreme. It was the wrong decision but I'm sure he's learned from it. Now with Dalton out, he's the veteran campaigner.

I personally don't find our current PM very charismatic. Mike Harris and Dalton weren't all that interesting. So to say Hudak is unfit to lead because of his personality is wrong.

Who should replace him if he's not premier material? If anyone says John Tory I'm going to figuratively scream.

BTW there is some sentiment Doug Ford (Mayor Ford of Toronto's brother) should run for leadership. He says he wants to run in the next election. He'll at least lock up North Etobicoke which is a Liberal seat.

Edited by Boges

Quite frankly I'm rather sick of the Hudak bashing. Many leaders lost their first election. (Dalton and Harper both did) Hudak was cocky last year and thought that he could coast to a victory by not being too extreme. It was the wrong decision but I'm sure he's learned from it. Now with Dalton out, he's the veteran campaigner.

I personally don't find our current PM very charismatic. Mike Harris and Dalton weren't all that interesting. So to say Hudak is unfit to lead because of his personality is wrong.

Who should replace him if he's not premier material? If anyone says John Tory I'm going to figuratively scream.

BTW there is some sentiment Doug Ford (Mayor Ford of Toronto's brother) should run for leadership. He says he wants to run in the next election. He'll at least lock up North Etobicoke which is a Liberal seat.

I certainly respect your opinion, but I think losing the last election with all the ammunition Hudak had is inexcusable. Dalton should NEVER have won with his record, and, I was regretting Hudak's campaign from the get go, I new he was blowing it and I think our party did too. He's a failed contender. Drop him.

Proroguing government just prior to his departure? Yes, he swindled ontario tax dollars (typical liberal) and will now not need to "pay the piper".

How has he not "paid the piper"? If the legislative session (not the government, which can't be prorogued) continued, the Cabinet could lose the confidence of the house and McGuinty would either be replaced by a new premier leading a coalition or would be back on the road campaigning. In other words, he's lost (or is almost guaranteed to lose) his job, no matter what.

Wonder if the left will cry about him proroguing parliament - dry.png

I have already been wondering why the media hasn't created a storm out of the government's ongoing refusal to provide documents for scrutiny by the opposition, now to the point almost where votes are to be held to find ministers in contempt of parliament, just like... Well, the Conservative federal government and parliament in Ottawa not so long ago.

I respect those that defend Hudak, but I disagree. Hudak should have won given the ammo he had. Dalton had blown it. badly

Dalton was vulnerable on so many fronts. Hudak blew it. I was against his platform (as such) from the get go. He should have been tearing Dalton apart. I saw little real spirit, or fire. He came across to me as too bland and lacking forcefulness.

I knew he was going to lose and HE?WE did.

His performance is lack luster and he needs to be gone.

When I listen to him I never get any sense of leadership or get pumped up and enthused.

I want better than a cardboard cut out with two dimensions.

Sorry, but that's the way I feel about 'our' guy.

Could it be McGuinty got pushed out? Had to go in anticipation of something else?

I wonder if there will be a bombshell exploding in the near future? Of course I'm so cynical right now because of Quebec.

He got an 85% approval rating by the party late last month. Had he gotten less than, say, 70% he'd have probably had to step down then.

I respect those that defend Hudak, but I disagree. Hudak should have won given the ammo he had. Dalton had blown it. badly

Dalton was vulnerable on so many fronts. Hudak blew it. I was against his platform (as such) from the get go. He should have been tearing Dalton apart. I saw little real spirit, or fire. He came across to me as too bland and lacking forcefulness.

I knew he was going to lose and HE?WE did.

His performance is lack luster and he needs to be gone.

When I listen to him I never get any sense of leadership or get pumped up and enthused.

I want better than a cardboard cut out with two dimensions.

Sorry, but that's the way I feel about 'our' guy.

Who should be the leader of the Ontario PCs?